For the aviation nerds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the aviation nerds

I knew the Russians were playing around with some weird and funky stuff in the cold war but I hadn't come across this before.

The Caspian sea monster

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYmSnpQ360&feature=fvw]YouTube - What is an Ekranoplan?[/ame]
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

not surprised to see it never took off...... boom tsch
    Originally posted by browncow
    Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

From memory these planes actually prved very efficent, due to ground effect.

I coudl be wrong though and I cant tell you why they didnt actually go any further allthough I do remember seeing a doco a while ago talking about making massive versions to carry cargo more efficiently and heaps faster than cargo ships.
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

whats wrong with ur good old fashioned planes??
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

These were never designed to fly any further than a few meters off the ground. They were extremely fast (compared to cars and boats) and because they fly so low they avoided enemy radar.

Brilliant piece of machinery.

EDIT: It is also a ship not a plane.
          Last edited by lit; 28-09-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

They were designed for invasion type assaults on a massive scale. Cant understand wht they never went into production. Those boats would have had the capability to scoot around NATO's fron line defences and owned them.

BTW they were called the Ekranoplan - screen plane, thank you wikipedia.
            DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

and what happens when you get a bit of swell happening?
              "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

merctom: that is their main downfall.
                For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Did a bit of reading and they are expected to fly approximatly 1 wing span off the ground, so basically the bigger the machine the higher it flies and the bigger the sell it can cope with. In the film the prop driven one is big enough to carry a couple of APC's the jet powered machine I think is carring P15 termit missiles at 2.3 tonne each. So they certainly have some serious lift, I guess it a faster hovercraft.
                  Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Dunno how well the jets would have worked ingesting all that salt spray though. Operational life would have been short to say the least.

Smart idea using free lift though (ground effect) to lift some serious weight.
                    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Dunno how well the jets would have worked ingesting all that salt spray though. Operational life would have been short to say the least.

I think thats why they are up the front and mounted high the same story with the pusher engines in the tail me thinks. Although most carrier based aircraft get a hiding for the same reasons and there are plenty of turbine seaplanes about.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

Perhaps they implemented a sacrificial anode system to combat those effects?

I forgot to ask how your little surprise project ended up?

Comment

I thought these were a great idea, saw them once on an episode of James Mays Big Ideas. Quite a lot of thought went into them really. As others have stated they were used to transport large amounts of equipment at high speeds.
                          I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

There is a mob over here that were developing ground effect craft a few years ago. Don't know how far they got past working prototype.

Going back past the Cold War era, the German's had some awesome designs in WWII. Crazy stuff done completely by direct control, and the yanks can't even replicate it with a bank of computers.

Comment

irratating fcuking music

Comment

Working...
                              X