Wanted: Pool advice / expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Pool advice / expert

ok, we havent used our pool all winter so the cover has been on it for about 5 months. I pulled it off yesterday to find the pool is a jungle looking green/brown/black colour inside. it almost looks like lake springfield so im a bit afraid to go near it.

i have no idea about pools, when we moved into this place the landlord said he would get someone to come around and show me how to clean it and how the pump/filter etc etc worked. ive given up waiting.

i think there might be something wrong with the pump/filter as well, it makes a few funny noises every now and then like theres no water going through and today one of the pipes connected to the pump came apart and started spraying water everywhere.

is there anyone on here who works at a pool shop or is a pool expert of some sort? i would love any sort of advice as to what i should be thinking about doing to make the water clear again and if possible would love someone to come around and look at the pump thing and tell me how it works so i know what im doing

cash, alcohol or sexual favours may be discussed as payment ^_^
    TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
    Discounts for PSB members
    ----------
    [email protected] - Ph: 0415 425 524 - or PM me

Has the pump been running all year round? If there's that kind of sediment/algae build up, the filter would be overworked and possibly getting blocked up... Not much experience with pools, but from experience with ponds and the likes, I'd turn the pump off and clean the fuck out of the pool before putting it back on. Clean and service the pump before using it again too given, again with ponds running the pump and filter dirty as fuck is a good way to kill the pump.

This may be inaccurate for a pool pump, given I have NFI whether or not they're anything more complicated than a larger, more expensive pond pump.

Comment

Maybe contact the landlord if he promised to teach you what to do.

You need to run the pool pump regularly even during winter. You've got a pretty big cleanup ahead of you.

Fixing the pipes shouldn't be too big a job. Do you know if it's a cartrage filter or sand filter? Do you have all the cleaning bits (hoses, cleaning head, poles, net, chemicals, salt, ph kit, etc)?

The lack of water going through it may be a blockage or more commonly air in the system...water level too low if you're using the skimmer or air in the hoses if you're using the cleaner/creepy crawly.

Does your pool pump have "waste" and "backwash" functions?

-JC-

Comment

Get some 'flock' into the pool as this will clump the sediment together making it MUCH easier to clean.

Check the rotary selector to ensure you've not got it on 'closed'.

Backwash the filter just to clear it a little or a lot and then vacuum the pool (a lot). You'll need a shed load of chemicals and salt (if applicable) as well.

I had tenants in one place who didn't use the pool. When they moved out you could only see about 4 inchs before your hand disappeared!!

Good luck!

Comment

Ho Ho!!

Plenty $$$ to be spent on Chemicals!!

Comment

Originally posted by -JC- View Post
            Maybe contact the landlord if he promised to teach you what to do.
            ive given up. ive asked him and his wife numerous times and they always say they'll get straight on it.

he doesnt seem that keen on spending any money, would rather keep it in his pocket and do everything himself except he doesnt have a clue what hes doing either
            TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
            ----------

Comment

salt or chemical pool?
              Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
              Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

You need to run the pool pump regularly even during winter. You've got a pretty big cleanup ahead of you.
                hmm. landlord turned it off about 4 months ago, told me it would save a lot of power.. looks like what i saved on power ill be spending on chemicals

Fixing the pipes shouldn't be too big a job. Do you know if it's a cartrage filter or sand filter? Do you have all the cleaning bits (hoses, cleaning head, poles, net, chemicals, salt, ph kit, etc)?
                i think its a sand filter? only because i saw one that looked like ours at the shop and it said sand filter. there is another filter looking thing though that says it has some sort of cell? in it..

we've got all the bits to clean it, most of them looked old and shit. no chemicals.

The lack of water going through it may be a blockage or more commonly air in the system...water level too low if you're using the skimmer or air in the hoses if you're using the cleaner/creepy crawly.
                this may be a problem. how do i get the air back out without stuffing up the pump?

Does your pool pump have "waste" and "backwash" functions?
                it has 'waste' 'backwash' 'recirc' 'filter' and something else from memory. not sure what they all do though..

what does backwashing do? and what should it be on normally? filter?

other then emptying the filter in the skimmer box, is there something else i should be cleaning/emptying out?

thanks for your help guys
                ----------

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
                  salt or chemical pool?
                  i was a bit confused, the landlord mentioned salt once and on the control panel near the pump it says something about salt but there is a big empty bucket of chlorine next to the pool.

from what i remember when it wasnt green, the water wasnt salty either.
                  ----------

Comment

not sure what you know. bags of pool salt are NaCl. this breaks down in the pool when it dissolves into chlorine. (chemistry class anyone?)

liquid chlorines are not all the same. check the chemical compositions. sodium hypochlorite is for salt pools. a lot of regular chlorines have calcium in them which are no good for salt pools.

ok you have a sand filter, so chances are its similar to mine and is a salt pool.

you need to do a few things.

reconnect that loose pipe you have first.

1) clean out your skimmer box first thoroughly
                    2) run your filter on "backwash" for a couple of mins. this cleans the shit out of the sand filter to your waste pipe. After this run your filter on "rinse" for 20 seconds or so.
                    3) get some liquid chlorine a 20L container (~$30 initially from a pool shop - reusable container, $20 a refill) and make sure it is the type without calcium.
                    4) pour the whole lot into the pool in the late afternoon (sunlight/UV kills chlorine so it has to work its mojo at night). This is called shocking the pool. BE CAREFUL, it will bleach your clothes, shoes, blind you, etc
                    5) run your filter on "filter" for a few hours to mix the chlorine through the pool. This will kill a lot of algae and other shit that will sit in the pool.
                    6) next day top the pool right up with water.
                    7) get some stuff called flocculent (Bunnings has this or of course pool shop). mix it with water and pour it into the pool. check the instructions, but from memory, you leave it for 2 days and don't run your filter at all.
                    8) all the shit will bind together and sit on the bottom of the pool.
                    9) turn your filter to "waste" and plug in your manual pool vacuum (not automatic pool cleaner).
                    10) vacuum the shit off the bottom of the pool.
                    11) once done, run your filter on "filter" normally to finish cleaning up.

This will waste a shitload of water, i hope you have good drainage from your waste pipe.

Its recommended to keep your pool clean over winter by running your filter a couple hours in the morning and arvo and dump a bag of salt once a week (monitor your chlorine level on your chlorinator box).

You might also need to clean your cell cartridge thingy (can't remember the name of it) in hydrochloric acid. Let's leave that for another day though, this will keep you busy enough.
                    Last edited by drifter; 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM. Reason: extra stuff to make it crystal clear (pardon the pun)
                    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

bag of sand a week seems over board, i use about 6 bags a year!
                      Take a sample to your nearest pool shop, they will test it and give you details how to clean it, you dont even have to buy from them, but you might as well....

Comment

Originally posted by slaine View Post
                        bag of sand a week seems over board, i use about 6 bags a year!
                        Take a sample to your nearest pool shop, they will test it and give you details how to clean it, you dont even have to buy from them, but you might as well....
                        you mean salt right?

depends on the size of your pool.

Comment

I'd do the main cleanup as per Drifter's instructions first, then chuck in a couple of bags of salt...give it a day or 2 (regularly running the filter/chlorinator) then fill up a small sample bottle and off to your pool shop for testing, they'll test it for free and give you a bunch of recommendations. Once you get your head around it, check out other sources for the salt and chemicals, I've found they're usually a lot cheaper at the hardware shop.
                          -JC-

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
                            You might also need to clean your cartridge thingy (can't remember the name of it) in hydrochloric acid. Let's leave that for another day though, this will keep you busy enough.
                            Don't use Acid. It will stuff the cell very quickly. Get the proper stuff. Even though it's more expensive, it can be re-used.

D'Art

Comment

Is the pool fibreglass or concrete? You may have a blackspot infection in it as well. I spent part of a weekend a few years ago in my parents pool in a wettie and scrubbing away with a brush, major shrinkage
                              DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

Working...
                              X