Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is speed really a killer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is speed really a killer?

    Is speed really a killer?

    This is an interesting article questioning whether the speed limits should be raised rather than reduced. Having just travelled on roads in WA, SA, NSW and Vic, the speed limit on the roads in some states don't seem to be correct for the given conditions.

    For example, in WA and SA all of the country roads have a limit of 110. In Vic and NSW, only major highways have a speed limit of 110. In Vic and NSW, the normal country roads have a speed limit of 100 even when they are wide, flat and in better condition than the major highways and freeways.

    We stayed off the major highways in Vic and NSW and found that 130kph was very comfortable, with the exception of the very twisty sections where 100kph was appropriate for the conditions. It seemed stupid to limit very good straight roads to 100kph just because they were not a major highway. To me that is not safe because you just end up increasing your travelling time and fatigue becomes a major issue.

    I also believe that the speed limit for roads like the Nullarbor highway (Norseman to Ceduna) should be increased to 130kph to reduce the travel time and reduce fatigue. If it works in the NT then why not make similar roads in the rest of Australia 130kph?


    Is speed really a killer?
    Most human beings have an almost infanite capacity for taking things for granted

  • #2
    Hmmm, u get into trouble suggesting going faster....

    Ruffles the feathers of caring people in our society...


    Comment


    • #3
      Speed isnt a killer. It simply multiplies the damage.
      Its like saying the gun is the killer not the person pulling the trigger.
      A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
        Hmmm, u get into trouble suggesting going faster....

        Ruffles the feathers of caring people in our society...
        I'd just like to see some logic in the thought process when setting speed limits for a given road. The wowsers should be sacked!
        Most human beings have an almost infanite capacity for taking things for granted

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bluebagger View Post
          I'd just like to see some logic in the thought process when setting speed limits for a given road. The wowsers should be sacked!

          ROFL!!!

          Logic?????

          Think of everything in reverse then you have the logic of the "Planners" of our society....

          Wowsers get sacked then obtain a position in Government.....


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
            ROFL!!!

            Logic?????

            Think of everything in reverse then you have the logic of the "Planners" of our society....

            Wowsers get sacked then obtain a position in Government.....
            Yeh, I know. Maybe I am just dreaming
            Most human beings have an almost infanite capacity for taking things for granted

            Comment


            • #7
              No.

              Driving / riding contrary to traffic, road or environmental conditions kills.

              Speed creates another revenue raising source for the state government. The people who know what is best for us.

              Speeding is good.

              What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is speed really a killer?

                Speed isn't a killer ? Your on drugs right ?

                Yea speed doesn't effect your ability to stop or avoid other idiots on the road at all. Pfft
                Your unique... just like everyone else.
                Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

                Comment


                • #9
                  .
                  Speed dosen't kill, its the slowing down that does...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Darkness_au View Post
                    Speed isn't a killer ? Your on drugs right ?

                    Pfft?

                    ...

                    How rude.

                    Yea speed doesn't effect your ability to stop or avoid other idiots on the road at all. Pfft
                    Yes, currently I am. But that has no bearing on the accuracy of my statement.

                    Speed will always be a factor in collisions but only insofar as stationary objects do not collide.

                    We can spend all day doing 200kph+ belting around a track with no conventional road rules without killing ourselves. How do we do this? Attention, sound judgment and practice.

                    Buying into the absolutist, bullshit catch-cry of "speed kills" mutes the myriad of actual causes involved in fatal collisions in the collective consciousness and makes it easier to impose increasingly harsh and damaging punitive measures, all of which result in a cash injection to the state, under the guise of "safety".

                    It's selective statistical bullshit. There will always be people dying on our roads. The biggest killers on the road are inattention (to conditions) and discourtesy.

                    What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      +1 ^^^

                      I have noticed that when ever there is a crash it seems that the cops have allready decided that speed was a factor in the crash before they even get there.
                      Originally posted by browncow
                      Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
                        Yes, currently I am. But that has no bearing on the accuracy of my statement.

                        Speed will always be a factor in collisions but only insofar as stationary objects do not collide.

                        We can spend all day doing 200kph+ belting around a track with no conventional road rules without killing ourselves. How do we do this? Attention, sound judgment and practice.

                        Buying into the absolutist, bullshit catch-cry of "speed kills" mutes the myriad of actual causes involved in fatal collisions in the collective consciousness and makes it easier to impose increasingly harsh and damaging punitive measures, all of which result in a cash injection to the state, under the guise of "safety".

                        It's selective statistical bullshit. There will always be people dying on our roads. The biggest killers on the road are inattention (to conditions) and discourtesy.
                        Have to agree with all you have said, but some of it doesnt mean much really, 200k's on a track ? great fun, but we are not talking about tracks, go do 200 on a track where kids, dogs, cats, bikes, cars, roos and the 100's of other random things that can run out onto a road, run out in front of you at random times and see what happens then speed is a big killer, the bigest killer ? dunno and probably not, but it is most definitely a preventable one !


                        "There will always be people dying on our roads. The biggest killers on the road are inattention (to conditions) and discourtesy" Cant argue with that, but add speeding into that mix and the odds go way up.

                        You previous statement of "speeding is good" is something I just cant get around

                        And as for the drugs.. dude.. sharing is caring
                        Your unique... just like everyone else.
                        Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The point slipped by you somewhat; if the environment is not suitable for doing 200kph because of dogs, cats, kids and the fact it'll upset the locals: don't do 200kph.

                          If you are on an open highway with fuck all between you and the horizon, if you have a realistic understanding of your abilities - go for it.

                          Traveling 300km on a straight, featureless road at 110 creates fatigue and boredom. Try it at 240 one day, see if your attention wanders.

                          The 'speeding is good' statement should not need explanation if read in the context it is intended.
                          Last edited by CitizenD; 31-10-2009, 01:04 AM.

                          What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Inershia kills

                            Citizen D
                            Well put.
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Darkness_au View Post
                              Your on drugs right ?
                              Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
                              Yes. Now please speak to my argument.
                              Brilliant.
                              Originally posted by Melkor
                              The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X