Bathtub removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub removal

The kids bathroom has had a leak behind the shower for a while, so yesterday I decided to remove the fixtures and tiles. Found lots of damp and wet, and I think the tub has to come out too to really check the damage.

Metal tub - seems to be seated on concrete poured underneath. Its supported by brick and tile surround.

Any ideas on how to remove it without destroying the surround? Do I undo the drain from above where I can see it, or reach under and do it from there?

Mobile phone photo's sorry for the quality.

aka Matt
    RB 2 11

probably one of those cases where it's quicker, easier and cheaper to destroy & rebuild the surround than to try to preserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by bograt View Post
      The kids bathroom has had a leak behind the shower for a while, so yesterday I decided to remove the fixtures and tiles. Found lots of damp and wet, and I think the tub has to come out too to really check the damage.

Metal tub - seems to be seated on concrete poured underneath. Its supported by brick and tile surround.

Any ideas on how to remove it without destroying the surround? Do I undo the drain from above where I can see it, or reach under and do it from there?

Mobile phone photo's sorry for the quality.

You will have to do damage to solve. Check the pipework bends and joins for leaks [quite common] but really you will have to destroy most of it and start again ensuring you waterproof everything really well.

buelllord [Builders reg. 12373]

Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

OK, thanks for the responses. I guessed that was the case, but was hoping otherwise!

Cheers.
        aka Matt
        RB 2 11

Comment

I did one of those a few years back, it all started when I was re-tiling the bathroom...wasn't going to replace the bath but it turned into one of those jobs...knock off the tiles, uncover the rusted edges of the bath, etc. Ended up a pretty big job in the end...gutted the whole batchrrom in the end.
          My bath wasn't seated in concrete underneath, just sand.
          Although I didn't have any leakage probems to start with, I ended up going nuts sealing everything and making sure no leaks...just didn't want to ever do it again.
          -JC-

Comment

Well, I felt around under the tub - seems the entire waste pipe was not connected! Just lined up with the pipe below, so the wife and I gently lifted the tub and away it came!!! Will have to get under the house over the next few days and see where this water has been going.

Not a mark on the surrounds - nothing!

Going to clean up the debris, let it dry for a few days and then get it sorted.

Thanks to all the responders.

Job now posted in the PSB Workers Wanted forum here
            Last edited by RB 2 11; 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM.
            aka Matt
            RB 2 11

Comment

Originally posted by bograt View Post
              Well, I felt around under the tub - seems the entire waste pipe was not connected! Just lined up with the pipe below, so the wife and I gently lifted the tub and away it came!!! Will have to get under the house over the next few days and see where this water has been going.

Not a mark on the surrounds - nothing!

Going to clean up the debris, let it dry for a few days and then get it sorted.

Thanks to all the responders.

Job now posted in the PSB Workers Wanted forum here
              Have a damn good look around for 'white ants' because they love water ...
              Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Originally posted by buelllord View Post
                Have a damn good look around for 'white ants' because they love water ...
                OK thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
                aka Matt
                RB 2 11

Comment

Working...
                X