The only good thing left about F1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only good thing left about F1

If you havent been fortumate enuf to see one of these in person, this is the next best thing

http://www.cobraclub.com/cobragallery/data...9/f1fireup.mpeg

That is FUCKING AWESOME, one of the best videos i have ever seen that engine i so goddamn amazing, i dont even know what kind of fuel they run in those things but those exhausts are literally blue flaming *drools*

Comment

It's grouse when you're standing right there. A couple of years ago they had a BMW F1 car in the city square in the melbourne CBD (at GP time) and they started it up, like in that video. Couldn't see the exhausts as the bodywork was on but the sound was incredible. The warmup is controlled via program on a laptop. That throttle blip sequence in the video is amazing - so much power and such a light flywheel effect - wap-wap-wap!

Comment

ive a clip of the 787b le mans car being started and blipped

sounds almost the same

Comment

I too was in a similar situation to you Rod,

I was it the pits at the Brittish GP a few years ago when BMW ( turbo ) were playing with their set up in a Brahbam ( how long ago )
          We were merrilly looking around taking snaps and driblling with all the technology around when just as I was standing about 2 feet from this car ( on stands too so the vibrations went right through me ) they fired it up ........FUCK ME it was awesome.....
          gives me shivers down my neck just thinking about it again........

Comment

Originally posted by Gordo@Jul 29 2005, 05:53 PM
            I too was in a similar situation to you Rod,

I was it the pits at the Brittish GP a few years ago when BMW ( turbo ) were playing with their set up in a Brahbam ( how long ago )
            We were merrilly looking around taking snaps and driblling with all the technology around when just as I was standing about 2 feet from this car ( on stands too so the vibrations went right through me ) they fired it up ........FUCK ME* it was awesome.....
            gives me shivers down my neck just thinking about it again........
            [snapback]143659[/snapback]
            Oh yeah those BMW turbos put out huge power 1000+HP not bad for 2 litre engine
            Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1@Jul 29 2005, 07:09 PM
              Oh yeah those BMW turbos put out huge power 1000+HP not bad for 2 litre engine
              [snapback]143689[/snapback]
              even better Robin, they were only 1.5 litre..but yeah 1000 bhp plus, in qualifying spec they would last 3 laps ( on a good day ) warm up lap, fast lap then run down lap where they would usually expire.......god I used to love F1.......before WA Salvage took it over....

Comment

Scarily enough, I think the F1 cars run something 'reasonably' close to regular unleaded... I mean I'm sure it's more potent than ELF Racing fuel, but it's not the methanol brew used in CART

Comment

My pants are suddenly tight
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Gordo@Jul 29 2005, 07:23 PM
                    even better Robin, they were only 1.5 litre..but yeah 1000 bhp plus, in qualifying spec they would last 3 laps ( on* a good day ) warm up lap, fast lap then run down lap where they would usually expire.......god I used to love F1.......before WA Salvage took it over....
                    [snapback]143695[/snapback]
                    Well said Gordo , it is a shame.

The Reno motors were 1.5L abd 1500hp in qualifying trim, in cast iron blocks, running pure un-diluded toluene with just under 6bar boost pressure (87psi) and just above 13bar fuel rail pressure (188psi). A Honda CBR929RR runs 50psi rail pressure and thats considered high !. The Garrett turbochargers they used in 1986 on the last Hondas, are just now, coming into production a few years ago, known as the GT series .

As far as fuel now, i belive its a 114 RON+MON/2 elf product that is tailor brewed to the event, time of year and so on. Things like toluene, and MTBE oxygenators are all nearly decided the day before the event to get the fuel as specific as humanly possible. JET A1 that flies you around the world, known for its perfect refining isnt fussed over in such a delicate manner as F1 fuels.

How about a mid 80's F1 highlight night ....... beer , skittles and F1 on a big screen !!!!!!!, even as late as Shuey in Beneton / Senna era is fine with me !!

Comment

instant chub...

wow that was seriously amazing...

Comment

That's some serious noise & power. I've been to the Melb F1 several times & goddamn it's noisy when the cars go past but that must have been damaging & deafening.

Comment

ive a clip of the 787b le mans car being started and blipped
                          any chance of posting the clip.... quad rotor right? That would be awesome.

Cheers, Brendon

Comment

Originally posted by brendon_zx@Aug 1 2005, 12:42 PM
                            any chance of posting the clip.... quad rotor right? That would be awesome.

Cheers, Brendon
                            [snapback]144309[/snapback]
                            I have a few of em , when i get a chance tonight , ill throw it on our server ....

Comment

Nooicccce

Been lucky enough to sit in a few F1 cars (classic (John player specials and older Williams) and modern F1 cars),been at a few GP`s and seen a few test bed runs (and engines expire) as well of the older McLaren F1 engines. Its a good thing when your old man works for McLaren ya see (well, a subsidary of Mclaren F1). Plus been round the Benetton and Williams factories a few times when i was back in the UK. They used to run a series called classic F1 in the UK, for those people with far too much money that had brought a F1 car and wanted to race them. The series I used to race (Forumla Ford) was one of the support races.

Funnily enough, A modern F1 engine in component parts, the engine isnt much to look at. Still the same V10/V12 (and V8 next year) configuration, very shallow and wide. Lots of carbon fibre. The engine itself has virtually zero interia, hence why it can rev so freely and easily...and probably why before traction and take-off control, that many drivers used to stall their engines. From memory it has a multiplate clutch, much like a motorbikes, and no flywheel., valves are electronically controlled. They idle at some stupid speed (cant remember, but its something like 7,000rpm).
                              The impressive part is the materials, the manufacturing process and the electronics. The materials they use for some components are literally custom designed for a purpose. For example, ive seen a lump or alloy, no bigger than a 5c coin, weigh more than a 10x10x10cm block of lead. They use that material for chassis balance weights to get CofG spot on perfect. I remember they use gold leaf on the firewall as it has one of the best heat dissapation properties of any metal.
                              The manufacturing process is somethign else. They can machine a 3D object from a solid lump of ally or whatever. Think they use water injection, or laser cutting..cant remember, but it means there are no welds, no joins and therefore (if designed correct) no weak points in the component. Its impressive to see a lump of metal go in one end, and 30 mins later, a complete front wheel component come out the other side.
                              Electronics, needn`t really mention. They have so many sensors, pickups and the ability to change things on the fly, that I think rules are now, that they are not allowed to alter the ECU code whilst racing. I know they can modify settings from the pit lane based on info they get back from the car. The processor(s) on board are dedicated to each task, and run at some stupid terra flop speed...again, cant really remember. I do remember that the sterring wheel has its own CPU and memory and stuff. Its basically a computer encased in a carbon fibre steering wheel....very cool...and VERY expensive (think the one from the Benetton was around the 100K pound mark).
                              Dads involved in chassis stuff. Its amazing to see someone balance a F1 tub on a finger, perfectly balanced and weighing next to nothing. The front suspension struts are incredibly strong axially , but the sheer and momentary load strength is nothing. Amazing to see someone try to crush a strut in a hydraulic press, yet be able to snap the strut over their leg like a stick.

The most impressive engine Ive ever seen is the classic Tyrrell ELF 6 wheeler. (think it was) 1500cc and kicked out over 1000BHP..incredible, theres a great website on it http://www.project34.co.uk/. Sounded like a banshee screaming. The other one worth mentioning is a classic brabham supercharged F1 car. Sort of like a V8 on steriods.

Anyway...its all a little sterile in F1 today in my opinion. Far too commercial and more like a procession of exotic cars rather than a race. Taking nothing away from the drivers mind you, but to watch, it really isnt all that.
                              Drivers like James Hunt used to go out, get tanked the night before, shag some nice chick (or more), rock up 1 hour before the race and then go drive. Those days have well and truely gone.

i`ll stop my rambling now...

Comment

Working...
                              X