Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vic. push to ban B Doubles from major road right lanes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic. push to ban B Doubles from major road right lanes.

The Sun Herald Newpaper is today supporting a push by the family of a traffic accident victim for “Mels Law” in Victoria. Melissa Ryan died in January after a collision with a truck on Monash Freeway. Amongst other things they are seeking a ban on trucks in the right hand lane of major roads.

Please make our Mel count | Herald Sun

It is also reported “Mel” had slowed to about 30kph in the right lane with a B double behind her and a truck on the left, whilst talking to her friend “KV” on her mobile, minutes after txting her friend Georgia.

We need to make this Mel's law | Herald Sun

The list of demands did not seek stronger penalties for inattentative car drivers using phones.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

No disrespect, it is a tragic thing when someone dies in a road accident but why the fuck did she slow down to 30k's under the limit with a B double behind her. It doesn't matter what lane they were in if someone rapidly slowed down to 30k's under the limit with a b double behind them.

I drive HRs but when you are behind some douche nozzle who is doing 80-90 in his caravan for better fuel economy in a 110 zone what are you supposed to do?

Comment

I'm not sure why this should happen, we already have a keep left law. As long as the truck is overtaking, I don't have a problem with it.

Sounds to me like either one of 2 things happened, 1. A mechanical failure caused the car to slow and the truck couldn't stop in time, either because the driver wasn't paying attention or was too close. Or, 2. She was talking to/texting her friend (illegally since she was driving) and stopped paying attention and the truck couldn't stop in time, either because the driver wasn't paying attention or was too close.

Either way, someone following someone else too closely or not paying attention on a main road is hardly something new and while this is a sad outcome, kneejerk reactionary laws for the outcome of every accident is not the way to fix the problem. A crackdown of people following too closely is one thing (though this would require actual police on the roads), but the introduction of absurd laws to combat a nonexistant issue is just stupid.

Edit; Lit is right, people need to make allowances for the stopping distance of larger vehicles, as do the larger vehicles drivers, but given the attitude of people to jumps into any space 5mm larger than their car, this is pretty difficult/nigh on impossible.
      Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
      Originally posted by filbert
      it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
        No disrespect, it is a tragic thing when someone dies in a road accident but why the fuck did she slow down to 30k's under the limit with a B double behind her. It doesn't matter what lane they were in if someone rapidly slowed down to 30k's under the limit with a b double behind them.

I drive HRs but when you are behind some douche nozzle who is doing 80-90 in his caravan for better fuel economy in a 110 zone what are you supposed to do?
        Agreed, I have heavy vehicle experience and this is a stupid knee jerk reaction law (like alot of other laws too) ppl who f&^k up and try to blame everyone else for thier mistake . . . but still RIP for the driver.

Comment

Was a good sob story, about all it was good for. Liked the mobile phone comment. Don't believe banning everything is the answer. What's wrong with driver training, you see so many people cutting in front of trucks etc probably completely unaware of how much space it takes for them to pull up accident waiting to happen.

Comment

Last edited by EvilDwarf; 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

a truckie wants to sit in traffic that is flowing....
              not the left lane where people cant merge to save themselves and cocksuckers doing 80-90 on a 3 lane highway.
              They may be travelling 30-100 kays on a city freeway, and I wouldnt want to be sitting behing some geriatric old fucka that seems fit to brake for no apparent reason. And anyone that enters a freeway at 80 kays after such a long onramp needs to be taken into the bush and shot, as this pisses me to no end!

Comment

Explanation of trucks sitting in the right lane.

Car in the left lane is doing 95 or less in a 100 zone.
                Truck follows to see if they will speed up.
                After a while it shows the car will sit on 95 or less happily.
                Truck pulls into right hand lane to over take, truck speeds up to 100.
                About half way during the overtake the car finally realizes the trucks is there and increases speed.
                Two things can happen here.
                1. Car under takes truck and there is no cars so truck can get back into left hand lane only to catch up to the same driver 5minutes later and repeat this process.
                2. Car(s) behind truck all hop into the left hand lane and under take the truck making it impossible to get back into the left hand lane.

Comment

You should note the car wasn't just 30 under, probably 70 under.

"Mel's car had slowed to about 30km/h in the far-right lane."

Must have been a good chat with friend KV.
                  The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

I watched a scooter pull from the right land to the left as the lights were changing to amber, with a fully laden brick truck in the left hand lane.
                    It was one of those moments when I yelled "oh fuck" as it happened and waited for the impact.
                    Thankfully the truck driver was paying more attention that the moron on the scooter.
                    Introducing new laws everytime something happens is a sure way of fixing the problem - not.

Comment

Pretty much what everyone else has said. So many people don't seem to realize that we pretty much have laws that cover most situations you may face out on the roads. Not a single thing in the above story falls outside any existing laws.
                      Can you help with foster care?
                      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                        It is also reported “Mel” had slowed to about 30kph in the right lane with a B double behind her and a truck on the left, whilst talking to her friend “KV” on her mobile, minutes after txting her friend Georgia.
                        Why don't we ban fuckwits from the right hand lane as well?

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                        No disrespect, it is a tragic thing when someone dies in a road accident but why the fuck did she slow down to 30k's under the limit
                        She didn't slow to 30 under, she slowed to 30 kph.

Comment

Sure it sounds like it was her fault and was going to happen anyway unless there was the emergency lane. What if it was three lanes and she was in the middle, same thing. Poor girl, poor truck driver.

This new law is more designed for when trucks are in built up areas close to but more so in cities. In the country trucks drivers are great and usually stay in the left unless overtaking. By the way I love the indication and flashing of lights systems that are used to communicate with everyone else. Its not spoken about, just like nodding your head to other motorbike usurers. Trucks and cars should be in the left hand lane except overtaking. It never happens, except in Europe but we dont live there. Go the auto barn. Especially when there is traffic in built up areas. When there is traffic, having trucks in the right hand lane is a pain in the arse. They take off slowly compared to the fast stopping and slowing down cars. Thankfully bikes can just go straight through the middle. Having them in the left will only help with congestion. Laws will never be perfect though, just like us.

Im in favor of it.

Comment

There's no information about why she slowed down, assumption that the phone was on speaker (on her lap?) etc etc. She had slowed to 30kmh(!) in the right hand lane yet there are emergency lanes on both sides of the freeway along there so if there was a problem with the car she could most probably have pulled off to the right shoulder. The articles don't say that there was a problem with her car. The truck driver hasn't been charged with any traffic offense. Who knows what actually happened. But I will say that this knee jerk reaction is a total waste of time.

You get twats in cars, trucks, on motorbikes, seemingly is some kind of stupor as they motor along totally oblivious to what is going on around them. You'll get cars, trucks whatever going along, three abreast (if there's three lanes) doing 90 in a 100 zone, cars and trucks in the tunnel(s) who seem to fall into a slumber when the sunlight disappears a few metres in, foot-off-the-accelerator and rolling down to the bottom most point and in such a torpor that they nearly slow to a stop when the tunnel starts heading upwards towards the exit. Oh whoops, it's way time - sorry my bad!

Most of the drivers here are fucked either through stupidity or selfishness or both and the government should be putting more resources into lifting driving standards.
                            Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

This is a stupid idea. Who thinks of these things seriously. I feel sorry for the girl. Not many people deserve to die, however it was her fault. I feel sorry for the truck driver more than anything. Have you ever tried to stop a truck? Especially while loaded? It doesn't happen, no matter how good your reactions are.

Truck drivers are usually forced to sit in the right like Lit explained.

I don't do alot of riding where I see many trucks on roads that aren't the freeway. So I don't really see the stop start thing. All I see is stupid car drivers cutting trucks off to get in front which will save them 5 seconds. I see car drivers preventing the trucks from moving back into the left hand lane.

90% of trucks on the freeway see me spliting and attempt to make more room for me to split past them, compared to 1-2% of cars. I'd prefer to ride and drive around trucks all day than cars.

And apparently in Vic, you're not allowed to have a phone within your hands reach while driving - let alone be talking on one.

Comment

Working...
                              X