No announcement yet.

New laws to target tailgating (in VIC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laws to target tailgating (in VIC)

Tough new law to hit tailgaters

Well, it is a start I guess.
    "it works for a spherical chicken in a vacuum"

Bigger issue than speeding IMO - also need to harden up the 'keep left' legislation - and back them both up with police enforcement. Then, one day in a perfect world - we can get higher speed limits.

Comment

What I dont get is bikes tail gaiting??

see it all the time going to work,

all you need a speed camera ahead, the driver slams on the brakes and wham??

RR
      http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

I've had cars fly up behind me and sit 30cm's off my back wheel, now that is dangerous and there is already a law against such driving. The chances of Police in the vicinity however is pretty remote, what will this new law do except widen the catch net and be an excuse for more speed cameras. The new speed cameras out of Germany are intelligent enough to capture people speeding as well as tail-gating. They aren't going to bring in individual cameras just for tail-gating...

In my opinion it's another smoke and mirrors tactic, claim to capture a demographic, build support then bring out the solution, increasing the number of cameras/upgrading them. Case in point WA government and let's get new cameras that will capture speeding motorcyclists, led to more advanced multi-lane cameras and cheeky tactics to hide them more increasing revenue.
        :stupid:

Comment

Somehow they need to educate motorists, rather than more cameras shame you can't stop general stupidity
          I drive around everyday at work average between 1-3hrs a day on the roads and I would struggle to count the amount of times I've been abused by tailgaters, although the old brake check usually makes them jump, arseholes!

It really grinds my gears!
          “Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"

Comment

But tailgating is a subjective term, it would need to specify a distance required between you and the vehicle in front, and that is liable to change based on the speed of the road and the condition.

I say it's subjective because my mum is a prime example, she constantly gets shitty with people she feels are tailgating her - if it was me driving I probably wouldn't give the distance a second thought (or I'd just touch the brakes) and I wouldn't deem them to be tailgating per se. Same thing with people moving towards the centre line on a 2+ lane road - she gets cranky when people are driving along next to her or going past her or vice versa and move closer towards her but don't actually cross the line... Totally cracks the shits over it, when really they just aren't holding their line very well within the lane.

So how exactly would it be policed, it would be up to the officer to use their discretion as to whether someone actually is tailgating or not, and we all know what happens when an officer is allowed to use their discretion.
            AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

I leave a gap
              Some one will see this as a place , getting closer to the podium they are.
              I leave another gap, a bit frustrated this time , another racer slots into a better position .
              I could almost select a lower gear and just have an endless stream of cars filling the gap I leave.

For this reason, the racers that might jump a place then brake hard, I now have front and rear cameras Russian style (Sim lim Square specials)
              REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
              (anarchy in english )

Comment

Tailgating is so widespread in WA it is a joke. Having lived most of my life in various parts of Europe, it took me some time to get used to it here. You simply DO NOT tailgate over there because you WILL get pineappled. Driving past bloody "road safety" ads telling me I'll save lives by riding at 110 rather than 115 with a queue of 10 douche nozzles following within 40 meters of my rear tire infuriates me to no end. Better yet is when semi drivers do it. It should be instant licence disqualification for them as they know they need 10 times the stopping distance of a bike.

There are automatic cameras that can deal with this, why don't we have any?

As a fairly large group, we should be lobbying the Gov to do something about this and refocus their revenue raising to something that actually does save lives.

Who's good a writing? How about a change.org petition? Elections time is a great time to do this.
                Come to the dark side. We have Bacon.

Comment

This:

Police are only able to charge people with “failing to keep a sufficient distance from the vehicle in front”, which carries a penalty of one demerit point and a $211 fine for cars and a $282 fine for heavy vehicles.

I copped a warning for this when I rear ended woman who slammed the brakes on and stopped at an empty crosswalk on kings park road. Great to see them trying these initiatives but they are fixing the symptom not the cause, which is driver behaviour.
                  Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

Originally posted by Geeman View Post
                    This:

Police are only able to charge people with “failing to keep a sufficient distance from the vehicle in front”, which carries a penalty of one demerit point and a $211 fine for cars and a $282 fine for heavy vehicles.

I copped a warning for this when I rear ended woman who slammed the brakes on and stopped at an empty crosswalk on kings park road. Great to see them trying these initiatives but they are fixing the symptom not the cause, which is driver behaviour.
                    That is tailgaiting...

Failure to leave enough room to stop in an emergency situation - whatever that may be. What would happen if the car in front of you had it's engine seize? or something dropped off of it? You not leaving enough room is the cause of that accident.

Comment

This:

Wrong.

The only behaviour that needs to be corrected in that case was you tailgating.

If you are not able to avoid collision with the car in front, even if they are slamming on the brakes for a danger that they are the only ones to perceive, you are too close.
                      Come to the dark side. We have Bacon.

Comment

+1 for petition! drives me insane!

Comment

This:

If the crosswalk was not empty
                          She noticed a pedestrian you failed to notice , you shunt her the extra distance to take out the pedestrian.
                          Who is to blame , you or her ?
                          Leave a gap
                          REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                          (anarchy in english )

Comment

Trucks tailgating on Albany highway of late is getting out of hand. 2 or 3 36m doubles tailgating at 100kph... like thats safe,
                            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

This:

What if a kid had run out in front of the woman? You were tailgating, simple as.

Biggest wind-up driving over here after coming from the UK is the tailgating problem. Absolute lunacy sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X