Californian police shoot dog.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Californian police shoot dog.

I'm sure there are many versions of events, but here is one news report, and one video account. (video is quite confronting, you have been warned)

Just another fine example of American policing at its finest...

Californian police have shot dead a dog in front of its owner after it went to the man's aid while he was being arrested for taking video of a police operation.

Dog owner Leon Rosby took the video as police barricaded a house.

Another bystander behind Mr Rosby was recording him, and can be heard saying that Mr Rosby asked the police why there weren't any black police present, The Huffington Post reports.

That remark apparently drew attention of police, who started to approach Mr Rosby.

Video of the incident taken by others show Mr Rosby, with the dog on a lead, put it in his car as the officers approached.

Mr Rosby walks towards the officers then turns his back, puts his hand behind his back and his handcuffed.

The dog initially stayed in the car and barks.

But then it jumps out of the car and heads towards the officers holding Mr Rosby in handcuffs.

Mr Rosby's dog leapt from the car to bark at officers after they hand-cuffed his owner.

The dog is close to the officers as several shots are fired at the dog, prompting screams from several people nearby.

Mr Rosby's attorney, Michael Gulden, said he plans to file a lawsuit against the Hawthorne Police Department.

Police said they had no choice but to shoot as the dog lunged toward them.

"It looks like the officer tried to reach down and grab the leash, and then the dog lunges in the direction of him and the other officers there," Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain said to the Daily Breeze.
    "And I know it's the dog's master, and more than likely not going to attack him, (but) we've got a guy handcuffed that's kind of defenseless. We have a duty to defend him, too." Scroll down for the Hawthorne Police Department's full account of what happened.

PS, since when is it against the law to film police? I know its not here, and I recall a few videos and follow up stories suggesting it is most definitely not against the law in the US of A either.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

They are the law and if it can be used against them then it's against the law....

They call it collecting evidence, if it's all in one place then they can cover their arses
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

That's fucked up.... As if they can throw it in there that they were defending its owner... No dog would attack there owner
      Shits fucked

Comment

That's up there with the worst thing I have ever seen and I have seen some horrible fucked up shit.

Ipad just got thrown along the floor while I had tears in my eyes.

Fucking cunts sorry fair enough he done wrong but I would be on a life long mission to fuck everyone involved in shooting my dog.

I can't even begin to think the pain that guy must be in standing there watching people wind bullets through your best friend
        2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
        2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
        2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
        2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
        2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
        2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

he done wrong
          elaborate...
          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

The owner I mean. Not the dog.

I think I would prefer they put one in me before my dog.

Edit- by the sounds of it he was doing sweet FA wrong really anyway, I read a different article today that had other offences towards the man today I will try find it.
            2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
            2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
            2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
            2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
            2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
            2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

read the story, not even gonna bother watching the video
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

So it's (presumably) a corrupt act or complete failure on the part of a group of officers in a police department on the other side of the world.

Why the fuck is that a news flash? US Police departments need better training, oversight and accountability, that's nothing new.

But by all means start sticking the boot in to no good purpose.

*EDIT* It's not against the law to film Police in any US state as far as I'm aware, but it appears a lot of Police are unaware of a lot of details of law or find themselves in a position where they are able to infringe the rights of citizens without risk of harm. Once again, this isn't news.

I also find my sympathy reduced for anyone that has a negative police encounter after baiting or taking an unnecessarily adversarial approach. doesn't make anything the officers do acceptable but if I walked up to a bikie and call him a cunt, most people would feel I could have taken steps to better protect my interests.
                Last edited by Dragunov-21; 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM.
                Originally posted by Dragunov-21
                If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

there are other versions of this story where The owner rocked up with very loud music playing (that's why all of his windows are down), got out harassing the cops and generally being a nuisance... Stupid guy should have kept on driving and then his dog would have lived to see another day. Also It seriously is worrying that the first thing the cop decides to do though is shoot while there are people everywhere, pepper spray would have been a lot better.

Poor dog just trying to help his stupid owner
                  Has 250.....wants 1000

Comment

So he knew was going to be arrested and put his dog in the car with the windows down, dog jumps out and goes for coppers, gets shot.

The dog died because it's owner is a dickhead. Fucked if I would let a dog bite me if I could defend myself.

Perfect case for vetting dog owners IMO.

R.I.P. Dog
                    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
                      I'm sure there are many versions of events, but here is one news report, and one video account. (video is quite confronting, you have been warned)

Just another fine example of American policing at its finest...

PS, since when is it against the law to film police? I know its not here, and I recall a few videos and follow up stories suggesting it is most definitely not against the law in the US of A either.
                      In NB after a ride 96 I filmed(using my phone) the cops leaning all over my bike as a couple of the searched through the belongings of a guy they arrested. The rest of the posse was leaning on and over my bike, playing who could spot the illicit drugs first.
                      I picked up my phone and filmed, just in case. Just in case the fat cunts pushed it over in there eagerness.

A Senior spotted me. Grabbed a posse member and waltzed over to me and told me to stop as they would confiscate my phone as evidence.

We had a little bit of argument and the cafe owner got up and had words with them as well. They then wandered back to rejoin the posse.

SO! It seems as they can find an excuse here for anything they want to do. ANd probably with the blessings of all the righteous do gooders as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                        So he knew was going to be arrested and put his dog in the car with the windows down, dog jumps out and goes for coppers, gets shot.

The dog died because it's owner is a dickhead. Fucked if I would let a dog bite me if I could defend myself.

Perfect case for vetting dog owners IMO.

R.I.P. Dog
                        Unfortunately this is the case. He really should of had those windows wound up at least so the dog could not get out.

Officer was put in a tough spot and reacted to defend.

Would have been a different story if the dog actually jumped on the officer and took a chunk out of his face.

Dont get me wrong I love dogs but ultimately the owner is always responsible for the dogs actions. Which in this case, it was only doing what most (if not all) would do.. which is protect its owner.

The dog did the right thing by its owner, unfortunately the owner did not return the favour.

RIP Dog. Hope the owner gets what is coming to him.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
                          In NB after a ride 96 I filmed(using my phone) the cops leaning all over my bike as a couple of the searched through the belongings of a guy they arrested. The rest of the posse was leaning on and over my bike, playing who could spot the illicit drugs first.
                          I picked up my phone and filmed, just in case. Just in case the fat cunts pushed it over in there eagerness.

A Senior spotted me. Grabbed a posse member and waltzed over to me and told me to stop as they would confiscate my phone as evidence.

We had a little bit of argument and the cafe owner got up and had words with them as well. They then wandered back to rejoin the posse.

SO! It seems as they can find an excuse here for anything they want to do. ANd probably with the blessings of all the righteous do gooders as well.
                          First camera phone didn't sell until 00

My Nokia 1630 was high tech back then and didn't have one
                          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Got to wonder how popular that cop will be with his fellow (dog loving) officers from now on...
                            One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Dog defends owner. Cop defends self.

Short of letting himself or a colleague get bitten, the cop didn't really have any other option.

Dog owner deserved the bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X