ORS Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORS Stats

I found a doc from the ORS which I found interesting.
    Here are a few points - the ones that stood out to me were helmet stats and old ppl 60+ are in almost as many crashes as ALL motorcyclists

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/Stats/Annua...tats-2011.aspx
    In 2011, 175 police-reported road crash fatalities occurred on Western Australian roads. This figure was eight per cent lower than the 2010 figure of 193. The number of people seriously injured in police reported road crashes also dropped by two per cent, from 2,531 in 2010 to 2,469 in 2011.

Speed played a role in 27% of the fatal crashes and 68% of these were single vehicle incidents. These figures were even higher when considering motorcycles only, with 55% of motorcyclist fatalities occurring in speed-related crashes.

Failure to wear helmets also contributed to one of the 25 motorcyclist fatalities and two of the three cyclist fatalities. Furthermore, more than one-fifth of cyclists seriously injured in crashes were not wearing a helmet.
    When considering the age of those killed on our roads, the number of fatalities among drivers aged 60-plus increased by 34% but those in the 25 to 39 and 40 to 59 year age brackets dropped by 24% and 22% respectively.

Almost half (49%) of all fatalities were drivers, 21% were passengers, 14% were motorcyclists and 14% were pedestrians.

Five of the seven (71%) child bicyclists who were killed or seriously injured were not wearing helmets.

Persons aged 60 years and over made up 12% of all persons killed or seriously injured.

One of the 25 motorcyclist fatalities in police-attended crashes was not wearing a helmet.
    · Of the three bicyclist fatalities in police-attended crashes, two were not wearing helmets.
    · More than one fifth (21%) of bicyclists seriously injured in crashes attended by police were not
    wearing a helmet.

Road fatalities are now at their lowest for the period between 1961 and 2011

Fatalities by Road User Type by Year 2010-2011 change Motorcyclists -28.6%

Persons Seriously Injured by Road User Type by Year 2010-2011 change Motorcyclists 3.6%

Dubs

HOw many times do they need to report only 1 person wasn't wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Note: no mention was made of them possibly having an exemption.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Fatalities:
      4% of all motorcycle fatalities were motorcycle riders not wearing a helmet
      66% of all bicycle fatalities were bicycle riders not wearing a helmet

Thats better

Dubs

Comment

"Speed was a factor" != Exceeding the speed limit. This annoys the crap out of me. I wish they would publish the facts not biased opinions. For example, how hard is it to say "forensic examination puts the vehicle speed prior to impact at 75km/hr, 5km/h under the posted limit but due to the rain and lack of visibility, it was possibly a contributing factor in the crash." Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Comment

ORS Stats

That doesn't fit with the taxation agenda.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

You can have an exemption to wearing a helmet? what?
            Originally posted by boeman
            Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
            Originally posted by Chuck Steak
            Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
              You can have an exemption to wearing a helmet? what?
              Yes, it used to happen, especially when the laws were first brought in. You went to a doctor, made up a story and got a medical certificate.

Pretty much impossible these days, I think they closed that loophole a while ago.
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Perhaps this would explain some of the Harley riders I see without helmets, that or they are HARDCORE.

who knows?
                Originally posted by boeman
                Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
                  Perhaps this would explain some of the Harley riders I see without helmets, that or they are HARDCORE.

who knows?
                  Nah frenchie, have known a couple of them, just egotistical fuckheads really. One of them tried to tell me that he was safer without a helmet because full face helmets break you neck when you crash.... Hmmm hard to work out how the human brain works sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
                    55% of motorcyclist fatalities occurring in speed-related crashes.
                    So, 45% of all motorcyclists killed, were stationary?
                    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
                      So, 45% of all motorcyclists killed, were stationary?
                      100% of motorcyclists killed are stationary.

Comment

The number of kids not wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. I shuddered at that.

Five of the seven (71%) child bicyclists who were killed or seriously injured were not wearing helmets.
                        Originally posted by Abuse this
                        Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                          Yes, it used to happen, especially when the laws were first brought in. You went to a doctor, made up a story and got a medical certificate.

Pretty much impossible these days, I think they closed that loophole a while ago.
                          The loophole is still there but you have to be signed off by a neurologist that the discomfort and risk off injury while wearing a helmet is greater than the risk of injury in a crash not wearing a helmet, if you're at that level of pain wearing a helmet most would advise not riding or request that the licence class be cancelled for medical reasons.

I have a good mate who broke his neck many years ago and wearing a helmet is not just painful but dangerous with the extra weight bobbling around on his head, he still holds an exemption but these days chooses not to ride instead.
                          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Working...
                          X