Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learner rider killed in Panic braking skid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learner rider killed in Panic braking skid.

From an Australian VLOGer
    Warning some graphic footage

Learner rider gets killed locking up the back brake in a panic.

Be safe and ride within your ability, especially when learning.

Read Description First Before Watching (Comments & Ratings Disabled) - YouTube

2c - if the learner hasn't been taught that rear brake usage to slow down is incredibly bad, and demonstrated that they can actually do an emergency stop, they should not be playing in traffic.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

How fast must he have been going?? Guess it doesn't matter anyhow... What a frightening thing to witness. Oh gosh... the dad was there :-(

Comment

My 2c - He should have used no brake and just fitted between the car and truck. There was plenty of room. Probably just lacked confidence and experience. Feel for his father that was there to see it all.

Comment

sad waste
          Originally posted by Rich...
          You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
            2c - if the learner hasn't been taught that rear brake usage to slow down is incredibly bad, and demonstrated that they can actually do an emergency stop, they should not be playing in traffic.
            60% front 40% back always been the rule, but thats changed i believe ?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
            sad waste
            im with you on that

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

He shouldn't of been overtaking at all without being able to see sufficient road ahead to be able to make it safely. He probably didn't know any better / didn't know the capabilities of the bike well enough.

The father probably should of considered that the Son would try and follow him when he overtook the truck himself.

Course my comments are based only on what the video gives us, facts may not be accurate.

Very unfortunate story.

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
                Can't imagine 60/40 would stop you very fast.
                I'm thinking 90/10 is more realistic.

Comment

Terrible shame and sad to watch. Feel particularly shit for the dad, would have been a terrible thing to go through. Can only imagine how much he might be blaming himself.

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                  The father probably should of considered that the Son would try and follow him when he overtook the truck himself.
                  Have to agree, but I still sympathize.

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
                    I think it changed when they introduced disc brakes.

Didn't watch the vid, I have no desire to watch another rider die, and I'd hazard a guess that his family didn't gain anything from watching it either.

RIP young fella.

Comment

I also refuse to watch a rider die........ braking depends on circumstance, emergency stopping I use hardly any rear as so much weight is forward it's not very effective, slowing from a jog to walking pace I use the rear... I find i have more control of the bike using it at that speed
                      faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

I've always been taught 80/20 front/rear.

I had an emergency brake situation myself this afternoon, thanks to my proper training which involved dry runs at escalating speeds off the main roads, I was able to apply the brakes in a manner that earned a "well done" from my instructor Lenny, who I can assure you isn't very generous with the compliments. Its things like this video that really reinforce to me that what we are doing on a bike isn't all fun and games, we truly have our lives in our hands and that ABS really should be mandatory on every learner bike.

I don't want this to turn into an ABS/No ABS argument and people will say that ABS makes you a lazy rider, you should learn to ride without it etc. But consider this, if ABS kicks in, you have already fucked up... you may as well have it there so that the mistake isn't your last like this unfortunate young man.

Note: The uploader intentionally cut the actual hit out of the video, you only see the smoke billowing out of the tyres when he panic brakes and then the video cuts to the bike sliding away with the real horrible bits being obscured by another car. Honestly I am okay with this sort of thing being online. He has cut out the truly horrific frames with enough detail there to have new riders (such as myself) really think is it worth it to try and overtake on a blind corner just to get in front of this car and save 5 seconds of my day.

Comment

Not going to watch it, but a comment about the dad passing the truck and the kid trying to follow!!

Shadow fail right there!!

Sad news

Comment

There are no gruesome images in the video...

Just the guy showing where it happened and what happened...

Comment

I was at a track day at Collie and heard this horrific squealing that went on for 5-6 seconds, I couldn't believe someone would just stand on the rear brake for so long. At least the person had that experience in the right place and stayed upright.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X