Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of speed cameras set to triple

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...cut-road-toll/

• speed and red-light camera fleet will be tripled from 30 to 90 -- (I don't believe this includes multinovas?)
    • six times more fixed cameras - up from five to 30.
    • The plan also includes a trial of point-to-point cameras
    • 600 more deployment hours for mobile cameras at crash hotspots.

As long as the speed/red-light camera fleet increase doesn't include mobile camera's, this shouldn't affect the discerning motorist too much. Not too hard to avoid the ones you know are there.

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...cut-road-toll/

• speed and red-light camera fleet will be tripled from 30 to 90 -- (I don't believe this includes multinovas?)
    • six times more fixed cameras - up from five to 30.
    • The plan also includes a trial of point-to-point cameras
    • 600 more deployment hours for mobile cameras at crash hotspots.

As long as the speed/red-light camera fleet increase doesn't include mobile camera's, this shouldn't affect the discerning motorist too much. Not too hard to avoid the ones you know are there.
    I like how the government say it is to save lives. However since they have been installing more and more cameras, the road toll has continued to rise.

Give us your $$$$$. I bet they will lower the tolerance from 4km/h to 2km/h

Comment

Nice to see that they are being put in the right places.
      According to the Office of Road Safety there has only been one year since 1999 that metropolitan deaths have out numbered rural and yet I bet that all the fixed cameras end up on revenue raising freeways.
      As for the road toll rising it has actually been in decline as far as deaths per 100 000 go.
      More from ORS

As for red light cameras go, put them at every intersection.
      The best things in life are free.
      The second best things...............are really expensive.

Comment

So we should see a rather large decrease in the road toll then, yeah?

Comment

Now factor in the improvement in vehicle design to five star NCAP. Why is this not factored in. Have crashes actually reduced in numbers per 100,000 or are people surviving what used to be fatal due to this?

If crashes are reducing, should we see insurance rates dropping?
          Last edited by Graelin; 22-02-2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

For More RED LIGHT Camera's and HUGE Fines.

Might STOP the F**K Tards who purposely Speed up to go through and clean innocent people up.

Everyday I see people nearly get wiped out by WANKERS who have No regard for other road users.

Maybe if it hits them in their hip pockets and licences , they might think twice about doing it.

But then again the type of people who do it really Don't give a Shit, so No punishment would be adhered to.

Red Light Runners ..
            What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              600 more deployment hours for mobile cameras at crash hotspots..
              Making that a total of 600 hours?
              Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                Now factor in the improvement in vehicle design to five star NCAP. Why is this not factored in. Have crashes actually reduced in numbers per 100,000 or are people surviving what used to be fatal due to this?

If crashes are reducing, should we see insurance rates dropping?
                I dont think crashes are reducing graelin, i think they are increasing the minor ones at least, safer vehicles are saving lives, motorcycles are going the same way being built safer, when i was younger people wouldnt even wear seat belts, the horror smashes two large cars head on with two families they are dropping off for sure due to safer roads, safer cars and people less inclined to drink and drive.

Comment

I think red light runners should be dealt with the same as hoon law. Soon there will be enough cameras around it would be viable enough to "police" and seize an offenders vehicle for 28 days.
                  Last edited by Thirsty; 22-02-2015, 09:50 AM.
                  When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Comment

The increases in cost to repair would be factor.

I shudder to think what the replacement of one of those integrated headlight/led light/ indicator assemblies would be, compared to a couple of lenses of old.
                    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty View Post
                      I think red line runners should be dealt with the same as hoon law. Soon there will be enough cameras around it would be viable enough to "police" and seize an offenders vehicle for 28 days.
                      What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Another classic case of "being seen to be doing something" than any real effort.
                        My bet is that a good number of these will be placed nowhere near "black spots", but instead will be placed on wide open freeways and spots about 50 metres past speed limit change signs.
                        If there was any real interest in reducing crashes, they'd put triple the unmarked vehicles out with real people looking to take dickheads off the road before they kill someone.

But hey, if we can say we did something it's not our fault. Typical stupid solution that has been proved to not work.
                        There is no better sight than a group of cruisers riding down the highway.

Comment

How are these new cameras going to work at crash black spots?
                          Round abouts and the freeway merge lanes. Speed is not often a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by somebodyelse View Post
                            The increases in cost to repair would be factor.

I shudder to think what the replacement of one of those integrated headlight/led light/ indicator assemblies would be, compared to a couple of lenses of old.
                            Lenses of old were $5.60 and I never charged for fitting. There were just two sizes and fitted most cars.

Comment

Originally posted by DB-C50 View Post
                              Another classic case of "being seen to be doing something" than any real effort.
                              My bet is that a good number of these will be placed nowhere near "black spots", but instead will be placed on wide open freeways and spots about 50 metres past speed limit change signs.
                              If there was any real interest in reducing crashes, they'd put triple the unmarked vehicles out with real people looking to take dickheads off the road before they kill someone.

But hey, if we can say we did something it's not our fault. Typical stupid solution that has been proved to not work.
                              As a traffic officer I used to get two dangerous drivers on a night shift. I was taken to task about this. The boss demanded numbers of offences per hour and per kilometre of patrol. I knew how to get the dangerous offenders off the road, he wanted radar and lots of minor offences. As greenMeanie knows this guy got to the top in the job massaging figures.

Comment

Working...
                              X