• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BABY STEPS:

Step one:

A nice skin / new version.

Redundant functionality removed.

An upvote / downvote system (Not a like button)
    Downvoting means trolly type bullshit just ends up being shoved in the bin and forgotten about. This is good.
    Also the apparently existent "harsh bullying of noobs qq" will probably be shut down quickly.

IMO bikes aren't for cool kids at the moment(the industry took a bit of a hit after godzilla tried to eat one of the reactors in hiroshima or something), so traffic will be comparatively slower.

I've pondered how a rebrand would affect the place, but the wheelie dudes, battlefield/planet kosmos typefaces and colours have a nostalgic 03's feel to them.
    I wouldn't screw with it and lose what's left of the brand.

Originally posted by thro View Post
    TLDR:we need to be seen to give a fuck. I don't think this is currently visible.
    I can't agree with this enough. To me it feels like the head honchos don't have time for it and have forgotten about it.

If nothing can be done to keep this place relevant, as sad as it seems, put it out of its misery.
    Last edited by Maxo; 13-07-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Good thing about psb? Classifieds.

Bad things? I'll come back to it.

Comment

keep new posts alive....
        Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
        remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
        Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
        Who died while defending his right of way;
        He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
        But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

If M.A.D was such a good way to bring us all together why not do all those good things again but support someone else? There are many local charities (homeless shelters, childrens hospitals etc) that would love a helping hand.

Comment

Some larger organised events where people can meet and put faces to names and look at motorcycles.

I know this opens a whole can of worms for organisation and other logistic issues.

A function where we can see who has us on ignore.

A sense of humour.
            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
              Some larger organised events where people can meet and put faces to names and look at motorcycles.

I know this opens a whole can of worms for organisation and other logistic issues.
              This. I don't think the logistics and organisation are too much of a problem, if people are keen on it happening then they will help out and people who are keen and are naturally adept at organising will probably step up to the plate. It's a good idea and would also cater for learners who aren't comfortable on group rides or other people who aren't keen on group rides for various reasons.
              AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

Everything has its heyday, and to be blunt, I think PSB has seen it's come and go.
                There was a while here, where the Perth bike community really was represented on PSB.
                The rides were a lot more ad hoc and there was almost always a bunch of peeps at scabs on a friday night if you felt like a blat.

A lot of the community pillars, that really made this place an engaging place to stay, have grown up and moved on.
                I feel that the next gen of these guys were probably nipped in the bud by aggro forum users screaming to preserve their beige, boring, circlejerking, tired conversations, before the new blood had the chance to settle in.

It's probably a controversial view, but I think people like Camel Salesman, etc were inline to become the next Desmo(no offense Jim).
                There is no denying that communities are built around polarising personalities, and in something as transient as a web forum, it's easy to move from place to place.
                If you're made excessively unwelcome, you just go elsewhere.

I'm not saying CS and his ilk would necessarily have become community icons(like them or hate them), but the way they were treated would certainly have made the more interesting people keep their heads down or go elsewhere.
                It was almost reminiscent of the circle of shame malarkey that the big dicks in the "noob friendly" rides occasionally took upon themselves to institute on hapless learner riders

So, on to what i'm getting at;
                -This place became boring for a long enough period of time that people just stopped coming back.
                -I have no idea if this has improved because I check this place maybe once every month or so.
                -This borningness was achieved by a bunch the more vocal users themselves.
                -The community needs a way to become more exciting and continuously evolve.

This leads me to the following recommendations:
                Reinstate the Like and Rep Systems.(This is a good way of instantly gauging the tone of a thread or the validity of an opinion)
                Moderate impartially.(It's easy to pull out the ban hammer as a mod, but all too often in the past, moderation actions have just gone along with whatever is going to the most cheers from the old(stale) guard.)
                Bring back the merch.(You can't drum up numbers unless your name is out there, most of the young riders i talk to have no idea about this place)
                Don't preach and don't be boring.(So many users on here just pump out the same shit "wisdom" over and again. Whatever happened to letting people be. If I want to ride down hay street in the wet wearing just a jockstrap while doing the Christ(Hi Ira), then I don't need to be told that it's a bad idea in the myriad uncreative ways that people repeat the ATGATT and road conditions mantras)
                Implement a system that reads your posts back to your before you post them.(ok, this one is a joke, I just want to see how Jamathi would react to it)

TL;DR: The community killed PSB by being too shit(in general), be less shit. Give the community the tools to grow and largely self govern.
                Last edited by Kryzaach; 13-07-2015, 02:09 PM.
                "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Originally posted by Kryzaach View Post
                  Bring back the merch.(You can't drum up numbers unless your name is out there, most of the young riders i talk to have no idea about this place)
                  Actually this is a great point and one I'd forgotten. I've recently had the opportunity to meet a number of other riders through means other than the forums (both learners and experienced/long time riders) and literally not one of them had heard of PSB. I've encouraged a few to sign up and get in the loop with rides etc but whether they will or not, I dunno.
                  AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

I have never really socialized much with folks from PSB back in the day and now I wish I had because there were some great characters and stories of legendary feats at the parties. Oh well, I missed that boat. However I still would like to meet some stalwarts, put faces to the names, talk shit and kick some tires. I had an idea last year to have the 'PSB summer BBQ season' and try to organize some fun days at the beach. Bring the bikes or bring the family, kids and dogs, footballs party games, eskys full of iced bevvies, music and just chill for an afternoon getting to know some posters personally. We could do one up north near Scabs, one south, maybe Coogee, one in the hills. Just an idea.

Comment

At one stage we were so spoilt for rides and parties every weekend it was silly...

I remember going to a party only to leave after a couple of hours to go to another party...

Those days are over and will never return...

Forum functionality and Facebook killed PSB...

Once the forum was broken it became annoying to get an old info out of it, then with Facebook you can start your own group and run it how you want...

Comment

I want all the cool new stuff they have elsewhere
                        But keep it just the same as I fondly remember it

PERTH Streetbikes
                        Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich...
                          Forum functionality and Facebook killed PSB...

Once the forum was broken it became annoying to get an old info out of it, then with Facebook you can start your own group and run it how you want...
                          100%

to be honest, unless a forum offers something that Facebook can/does not, it is largely irrelevant.

What that is, is what this thread can hopefully ascertain. As above, a knowledge base is one of those things... and with a busted search engine that you can't use to find anything... well...

edit:
                          speaking of broken, this message mis-attributed the quote above to [MENTION=51685]cob14[/MENTION] until I fixed it manually.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                            Hmm...great idea but on the couple of occasions I have attended PSB events each Cliche talks to themselves and the new people just get the Up-and-Down once over. Much like being a newbie on a ride where you shuffle your feet and hope someone will come and introduce themselves to the new person and welcome them into the community.
                            PSB has killed itself by being a bunch of stuck up cunts who act like a bunch of elites to a large extent...and not just on the forum. Now that's not to say that everyone is like that but it isn't a warm feel...I think that is reflected in the way people are jumped on for asking simple help-questions.
                            I still remember attending my first PSB ride...not very friendly...but I have never forgotten the 1-2 people who went out of their way to say hello and welcome me along.
                            Maybe that is just a reflection of how society is...not sure.

I'm sure to come in for some, "Stop your sooking" for that but...anyway...as a result I stopped bothering. Sad really as I wanted to join-in/get-involved with the community. These days if I meet new people I do it on rides, at least that way we both know we ride not just used to.

The forum seems to be forgotten by the people in charge, or it feel like it is being allowed to run itself down, and so I haven't been paying to be a supporter because I feel like the big drive for new supporters was a bit of BS that resulted in nothing happening despite talk of improvements.

PSB is still a great place to come for reference material and a bit of banter but it feels like it's just an internet forum rather than a community.
                            All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
                            #158...RIP James Thompson

Originally posted by Ryanoceros
                            Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Comment

Well once it became shit dribble with threads such as "Are Parker pens any good?", "What is the best blender to buy?", it pretty much became irrelevant...

Trying to keep the "Motorcycle Topics" alive with useful information was the only way to try and save it...

Other forums I am a member of that are big and work are information based, not shit dribbling...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by =Maz= View Post
                              Hmm...great idea but on the couple of occasions I have attended PSB events each Cliche talks to themselves and the new people just get the Up-and-Down once over. Much like being a newbie on a ride where you shuffle your feet and hope someone will come and introduce themselves to the new person and welcome them into the community.
                              What the fuck is it with people that can't introduce themselves?

It's what I did when I joined and went to rides...

Comment

Here's one; make it relevant to motorcycles again. The project section is under-utilised, there's little use of the How to section and there seems to be little scope for educating the newer riders or mechanically inept.

Sure, we're not all into working on our bikes but a shit load of us are. Maybe make a section relevant to mods/maintenance on particular areas; for example a brakes section, where people can discuss upgrades, pads, rotors, fluids etc. Then a Cosmetic section, where people can discuss cosmetic mods such as mirrors, LED's, paintwork etc.

I'd suggest the following sections: Engine, Suspension, Brakes, Wheels/Tyres, Cosmetic. That way rather than lumping any random questions into the General bike section they are all stored together. And if someone wants to improve an aspect of their bike, they know exactly where to look to see what others have discussed.

Edit: And how about sub forums for people other than the "Italiano" or two strokers?! Let the Honda guys buttfuck in their own area, and the Kwakka guys discuss how to make their bikes less ugly etc.
                                Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                                Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Working...
                                X