Yet another phone scam ATO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another phone scam ATO

Not that I expect many here would be taken in - but you may know someone likely to fall prey and wish to give them a heads-up.

A message left on your answering machine along the lines of "Hi, this is the DPP acting on behalf of the ATO...yadda yadda... prosecution if you don't call back on this number...yadda yadda"

It is kind of hilarious in that the message is a text-to-speech thing that struggles with certain words and really overplays the threat level to "your home is under surveillance"

I really did want to call the number and have some fun, but struggled through the ATO phone service to report it instead and hopefully nail the fuckers (faint hope that may be).

yea, my sister took a call

she told them to bring it on

my message on my phone told me too imminently expect the po-lice to come and take me away

i was wondering if i should pack an overnight bag

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
      yea, my sister took a call

she told them to bring it on

my message on my phone told me too imminently expect the po-lice to come and take me away

i was wondering if i should pack an overnight bag
      You wouldn't need much for NIGERIA.. Its pretty hot over there
      What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

As the consumer protection person on the radio said, if you're ever phoned by someone claiming to be a govt agency and asking for money or personal details, ask them for a reference number and hang up, then phone the agency using the phone number from the official website.

Comment

I always continually ask them to speak up as I cannot hear them...they either hang up or end up shouting.
          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Or say " hang on a minute I'll just get a pen" and leave the phone off the hook and go do something else.

Works for Telemarketers too.
            What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

When my son was younger (3-5 yrs old) I'd hand him the phone and tell him it was batman (or who ever he liked that week)
              Barbie is a corporate slut

Comment

Originally posted by primalbabe View Post
                When my son was younger (3-5 yrs old) I'd hand him the phone and tell him it was batman (or who ever he liked that week)
                My parents do that with my kids when they look after them.
                These days I spend a lot of the time at the Ex's house looking after the kids and if I get a call like that I just ask them to call back at bed time, long after I have headed home

Comment

Caller ID is a wonderful thing..
                  Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                  Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Yeah I've had this fuckwit with a very heavy South African sounding accent leaving messages recently on the answering machine stating I need to call the ATO urgently regarding my outstanding debt from my tax audit
                    Unusual they didn't just take the money from the nice fat return they sent me last month for this unknown audit
                    Took notice of the number and looked it up on Reverse and it came up as a legit business , not that I care one little fuck, if they are the ATO then the cunts can send me some documentation or a subpoena and I may look at it
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Got one like that recently at work. Funny that my colleagues around me also got similar calls within minutes of each other. Seem like the scammer are working off a list of sequential numbers (our extension numbers are unlisted). See ATO web site for the common scam calls: https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Onlin...bilephonescams.

Comment

i had 4 of these calls in 24 hours, thought about calling from a payphone and stringing them along, but then couldn't be fucked
                        "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

The first time I received this call, I phoned Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading or whatever it is called this week.
                          they weren't really interested in the phone number I gave them, ".....as it is probably a VOIP number".

This was something I didn't really understand, as to my mind, surely someone, somewhere is paying the bill for that particular landline.
                          But no, according to the Department, it won't help them as it is all computerised.

So, next time they called, asking for Mr Oath, I said, "...,oh, you're after my father, but you're too late. The police came yesterday and arrested him. He's in gaol tonight. But thanks for your concern. "

Within a nanosecond, the scammer had hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Oath View Post
                            The first time I received this call, I phoned Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading or whatever it is called this week.
                            they weren't really interested in the phone number I gave them, ".....as it is probably a VOIP number".

This was something I didn't really understand, as to my mind, surely someone, somewhere is paying the bill for that particular landline.
                            But no, according to the Department, it won't help them as it is all computerised.

So, next time they called, asking for Mr Oath, I said, "...,oh, you're after my father, but you're too late. The police came yesterday and arrested him. He's in gaol tonight. But thanks for your concern. "

Within a nanosecond, the scammer had hung up.
                            The calls are computer generated over the net,

no phone Bills
                            and no way of tracing either
                            K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

Working...
                            X