WA Police to only attend emergencies as dispute over pay rages on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Police to only attend emergencies as dispute over pay rages on

EDIT: Emergency only orders have now ceased, normal police duties resumed.

Source

The WA Police union have announced a major escalation in their pay-dispute with the government, announcing officers have been ordered not to leave the station unless being called to an emergency.

In a statement released late this evening, the union president George Tilbury said under Phase Three of their industrial campaign officers would only leave their station or section to attend emergencies (Priority 1 and 2 incidents)
    That will effectively mean that on-street patrols will halt as of tonight.

A union spokesperson also said it would mean roadside breath-testing would also cease.

“We are furious that the Government has shown absolutely no goodwill towards police officers, demonstrating a clear lack of understanding about the difficult and dangerous work they do,” Mr Tilbury said.

“Government also failed to recognise that police are unique and unlike any other public sector worker. Suggestions put forward to resolve this impasse included a number of items, such as additional allowances, improved conditions and delayed implementation. However, this has all fallen on deaf ears.”

Mr Tilbury reiterated that community safety will not to be compromised during Phase Three industrial action.

“Incidents may be upgraded if circumstances change, necessitating immediate police attendance for what would otherwise be a low priority job,” he said.

The long-running pay dispute with the government centres around a dispute over the police union demand for a 1.5% pay rise. The government has offered a straight $1000

“The Premier and his Government have shown no intestinal fortitude to resolve this impasse and we are sick of police officers being treated with contempt,” Mr Tilbury said

He did say however that WAPU would immediately rescind this action if the Premier committed to a 38-hour week for police officers.

The police minister has been contacted for comment.
    Last edited by Prefectionist; 26-09-2017, 11:09 PM.

May they never get a pay rise ever again.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

While I don't support their continued focus on the wrong elements of road safety they do have to deal with some pretty shit situations/individuals.

I haven't had a payrise in about 6 years - shall be making my case at my performance review.

Time to buzz some cop shops?

Comment

I'm most concerned about the cease of roadside breath testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Prefectionist View Post
          I'm most concerned about the cease of roadside breath testing.
          Yep I heard about that a few days ago and my immediate thought was but cameras on the side of the road are still enforced. It's all arse backwards, it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
            Yep I heard about that a few days ago and my immediate thought was but cameras on the side of the road are still enforced. It's all arse backwards, it really is.
            Its far cheaper to put a camera operator on the side of the road rather than a booze bus. It's all about revenue, road safety is incidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Crim View Post
              Its far cheaper to put a camera operator on the side of the road rather than a booze bus. It's all about revenue, road safety is incidental.
              Indeed. Reward (monetary) vs effort and expenditure associated to achieve reward. Fixed cameras are even cheaper.

Comment

"Over" as of 9PM.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/wa-po...-ng-b88611777z
                Last edited by xor; 26-09-2017, 11:33 PM.
                Ridden: Bicycles, Honda Today 50, 5kW E-Scooter, XT125 Pit Bike, CB125E, CBR125R, Munkers' E-Hyo, VT250 Spada, CB250F Hornet, CBR250RR MC22, Z300, YZF-R3, CB400SF, CB500X, ER6f, YZF-R6, CBR600RR, ZX6R, MT-09, CB1000R Neo, CBR1000RR, S1000RR

Comment

So the 1.5% they want is comparable to the $1,000 being offered if the average officer gets $66,666.66 - they get much more than that?

Comment

A bit more, but not much

Academy Training (recruits) $54,329
                    Probation (18 months) $72,284
                    3rd year of service $74,836
                    4th year of service $76,917
                    5th year of service & thereafter $79,003
                    Constable First Class (after 5 yrs) $84,046
                    Senior Constable (9 yrs +) $90,882

https://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/benefits/#Salary

So at the 5th year rate 1.5% is $1185.
                    Quite a bit of disruption/messing about for less than $200/yr (on both sides)
                    Originally posted by mekon
                    Why are pirates called pirates?
                    Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Amazing how things like safety aren't important when it comes to pay.

They get overtime penalties too right?
                      '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Comment

yes but there would be shift, penalty and super on top of that? that would start to add up, it also starts off the teachers and healthcare workers to have a go because the rozzers got one and then the other public worker unions will have a shot. net result mass public sector disruption and pay demands

just seen on TV the state labour govt havin a go at the police union and talking about issues inheriting a massive dept from the liberals, how things have changed
                        I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                          yes but there would be shift, penalty and super on top of that? that would start to add up, it also starts off the teachers and healthcare workers to have a go because the rozzers got one and then the other public worker unions will have a shot. net result mass public sector disruption and pay demands
                          Yeah it probably would end up being more expensive than the basic rate but if their shift penalties are anything like us PO's then it's not that great considering having to work weekends and nights etc and having to put up with the dregs of society Maybe if they implemented a flat wage increase policy on politicians across the board then others like the Police etc would be less inclined to be so pissed off at the govt for going back on previous agreements
                          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                          Originally posted by Phildo
                          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                          Originally posted by filbert
                          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                          X