Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess possibly, D.O.T.will making some changes to how the assessment will be carry out.
    An what about infringements within that 24month period, will that affect the end result,
    With interduction of L.A.M.S in 2013,people been able to buy Physical bigger bikes,it’s seems only inevitable that this may have been in their sight some time ago.
    You have give respect before you get respect!.
    Hopefully the motorcycle community will have more people like stoneville an many others I’ve meet, that give their time an share good things about what motorcycles are all about.

Comment

Originally posted by westy74 View Post
      Of course riders fatalities will increase!! Most R-E learner riders are taught on pathetic 150-200cc bikes and do minimal lessons. Scrape through a ridiculously easy licence test and then get progressively worse in their riding and roadcraft skills.. The removal of the R class assessment is nothing but a cost cutting exercise by the Government budget cuts to all public sectors ( Police, Hospitals, Transport etc) .

The removal of this vital area of re-assessment is absolute craziness, it will cost a lot of motorcycle instructors there livelihood too, will be a great time to be in the funeral parlour business Im guessing

It also goes to prove that money is and alway will be more important than actual road safety and saving lives
      Did you not see the tv news?

The new cameras that take rearward photographs will more than adequately cover the need for rider training and skills assessment.
      Remember these cameras are to keep us safe!

"ASK". Advanced Skill Kompetancy transition courses will be developed from the money saved to assist any displaced ride instructors in to more meaningful employment as "RSE's" Road Safety Enforcers ( speed camera operators). A small levy placed on motorcyclists will cover any shortfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
        Yes it is finally happening, still trying to source the DOT Official documentation, but for now ...

From July 1st 2018, people who have had their RE license for more than 24 months will be automatically upgraded to the R. This means if you have done your RE license less than 24 months you will have to wait.

The rules don’t change till the July 1st so anyone that has had your license for over 12 months or would have it for 12 months before July 1st, you can upgrade your license and avoiding waiting an extra 12 months.

So unless you want to have to wait the full 24 months, or part thereof, GO DO YOUR R TEST NOW
        Source?
        Originally posted by mekon
        Why are pirates called pirates?
        Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
          How is that any different to the current system we have ? You could spend your RE restriction on a postie, and then buy and ride a busa the day you pass your R class test. The R class test does not give you the required skillset to handle a motorcycle at speed, so your post is irrelevant.
          Um I'll go even one better than that, he could pass his test on a CBR125, then go buy a Busa and ride that around with an R class shadow for the next year, currently and a few PSBer's have done this

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
          Source?
          Most instructors would know something is happening in the near future, source is from a couple of them and an assessor, oh and a plod or two, so quite a few people know there is a change coming, it's just the nitty gritty's they are working out atm

Comment

Um I'll go even one better than that, he could pass his test on a CBR125, then go buy a Busa and ride that around with an R class shadow for the next year, currently and a few PSBer's have done this
            At least someone is there to hopefully pull them up and help them get some experience on the motorcycle.

The trouble is sandra most of the people who like the idea were not even born when the country said enough to muscle cars and superbikes ,they didn't see the carnage like you and andy and guy's like agrid, gsx ,graelin and others witnessed ,the days of the horror high speed crash are gone these day's ,so why are we trying to bring them back.

Comment

Quick question about RE licences.

A mates partner just got a 125cc scooter and was handed a full RE licence (just had to do the HPT) because she'd held a drivers licence for years.

Sounds wrong to me or have they changed the requirements for RE licences as well for experienced drivers?

Last I checked (yesterday) there was still a requirement for a new RE rider to get a learners and then pass the Practical exam.
              There is no better sight than a group of cruisers riding down the highway.

Comment

She got a full RE without passing a practical exam? Sounds like they screwed up to me. Unless, as you say, requirements have recently changed.

Comment

I can only see this as being detrimental to road safety and the road toll. As it removes a (very minor) hurdle that still needed to be fulfilled.

Most new riders now are fuck awful, chasing LAMS bikes with TC and ABS so that they don't need to bother to learn how to brake and accelerate correctly.

I can only surmise at what the state government's end game is, at a guess is to deliberately increase the road toll on motorcyclist to crack down even harder on them and open the flood gates for harder penalties.
                  Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

When my friend Pete lived over here he had his R-E. When he moved to the eastern states the transport body over there said what's R-E? They didn't have the equivalent and asked how long have you had R-E for and he said 'forever', and gave him open class.

Comment

Originally posted by DB-C50 View Post
                      Quick question about RE licences.

A mates partner just got a 125cc scooter and was handed a full RE licence (just had to do the HPT) because she'd held a drivers licence for years.

Sounds wrong to me or have they changed the requirements for RE licences as well for experienced drivers?

Last I checked (yesterday) there was still a requirement for a new RE rider to get a learners and then pass the Practical exam.
                      If it is on the LAMS list, then yes, she would have gotten an RE, Eagle Wing Cino 125 and the Elegante 125 are on the list

She should still be doing an RE riding test, someone slipped up me thinks :O

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...pproved_MC.pdf

Comment

If it is on the LAMS list, then yes, she would have gotten an RE, Eagle Wing Cino 125 and the Elegante 125 are on the list

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...pproved_MC.pdf
                        It's on the LAMS list but surely a learners and practical test are still required? That's what had me puzzled so yes I think someone has stuffed up.

That being said, I know them and I know she'll get a lot of instruction before she upgrades to her next bike.
                        There is no better sight than a group of cruisers riding down the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                          I can only see this as being detrimental to road safety and the road toll. As it removes a (very minor) hurdle that still needed to be fulfilled.

Most new riders now are fuck awful, chasing LAMS bikes with TC and ABS so that they don't need to bother to learn how to brake and accelerate correctly.

I can only surmise at what the state government's end game is, at a guess is to deliberately increase the road toll on motorcyclist to crack down even harder on them and open the flood gates for harder penalties.
                          I agree with your quote turboR1 ,but i kinda feel the floodgate's opened a while back now ,and the way guy's and girl's keep crashing at the moment at least one serious one a month in the O'Briens rd area which is littered with crashed bikes under the current rules expect a lot more road trauma up there under the new rule's for sure.

Your right on abs ,tc and the other technology learn to ride without it otherwise who is really riding the bike i suspect the intell chip.

Take your time do the lessons ,then get some training and slowly rise up through the rank's.
                          Last edited by llbuono; 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Silly, silly thing if it comes to pass...
                            Especially with the lack of rider training facilities...

Even the P platers way would be much better (x hours with an experienced person). Otherwise yeah, increase in icidents, which will increase the scrutiny on motorcycles, and there goes the nanny state..
                            Short sighted money gains... like the rego stickers etc...
                            "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Comment

After some thought i think its a progressive step after lams, compare it to before LAMS, you could only ride a little 250 pisspot. then after only 12 months and one day, BAM 1100 Gixxer here we come! also not forgetting the RGV250 and other 2T's of that era? not a learners bike at all what a great introduction to sports bikes they were and fully legal for some guy to buy from day 1 as soon as they pass the test.

but not everybody bought one

back in the day not everybody even bothered about a bike licence or bothering to sit the big boys test and just rode out of class because the cops would just say "dont be an idiot son, if i catch you again i'll tell your mum... and as a lesson i'm going to confiscate those 3 big browns of VB there in your backpack" lets not forget what WE used to get up to in the days before they would hoon law you for a sideways glance and take your bike off you. ( for example i know someone who used to behave just like that............. )

the bigger LAMS 500 + 650cc bikes are physically equal, brake, corner and handle as an open class bike and for more powerful than a 250cc, sounds like a better training base to me. Everyone thinks they were a good idea and you HAVE to stay on one for 2 years?, not upgrade after 12, surely thats a plus. lets forget raw power surely thats a better foundation for overall bike handling. Take an MT-07 for a spin for instance...

whilst i agree with the whole electronic aids thing on bikes unfortunately that just the way it is and in 5-6 years time it will probably be very hard to buy a bike that doesnt have it. unless your a collector. its like telling your kids about the times before the internet or mobile phones

plus the fact that all the guys going for their lams these days say they have to wait ages for a test spot. this will help.

oh PSB, we wine about how behind the times WA is compared to other places but when they introduce something thats already in at least SA and Vic? outrage!
                              I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by llbuono View Post
                                Your right on abs ,tc and the other technology learn to ride without it otherwise who is really riding the bike i suspect the intell chip.
                                My brother had a 1942 Indian Scout. I noticed both handgrips rotated and I asked him why. Vacuume advance. You had to manually adjust it as you rode.
                                Do you have manual vacuume advance on your bike? No? Who's riding the bike, you or the intel chip?

Originally posted by llbuono View Post
                                Take your time do the lessons ,then get some training and slowly rise up through the rank's.
                                Ranks? What ranks? There are no ranks.
                                Originally posted by mekon
                                Why are pirates called pirates?
                                Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                                X