No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: New RE & R Licensing Processes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my R-E in March 2018. Does this mean I need to wait until March 2020?

Comment

Did you read any of the thread?

Originally posted by Known
      Following a minimum two-year restricted licence phase, R-E class licence holders can attempt the R class PDA

Comment

So the answer is yes then, even if I got my R-E before the changes.

Comment

Yes, you need to have had your R-E for 2 years before you can go to R.

Edit: However, don't let this deter you from riding an R class bike on "L" plates in the mean-time.

EditII: Actually, I just re-read - "Existing R-E licence holders will be able to sit a PDA one year or more from the issue date of their R-E class licence to be granted an R class licence."

Comment

That sucks, was hoping to get on to an R class April this year.

Comment

Originally posted by McRooster View Post
              That sucks, was hoping to get on to an R class April this year.
              Read my 2nd edit - and probably should read the 1st quote in this thread.

This is the important bit:
              Existing R-E licence holders will be able to sit a PDA one year or more from the issue date of their R-E class licence to be granted an R class licence.

Those who obtain an R-E class licence on or after November 5 can attempt an R class PDA two years from the issue date of their R-E class licence.

Comment

I read it too fast and completely missed that. Thankyou.

Comment

MORE Than welcome.

Comment

Question, as Ive just been aware of this new 2 year waiting period. Does this also count for those who only had their learners permit for RE, before this new rule?

Comment

Originally posted by G QUAN View Post
                      Question, as Ive just been aware of this new 2 year waiting period. Does this also count for those who only had their learners permit for RE, before this new rule?
                      Not quite understanding your question, If you did not have your RE licence before the date then you will have to do the 2 year wait

Comment

I will have to do the 2 years then I believe. I didn't have my RE licence, just my learners permit, but got it in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by G QUAN View Post
                          I will have to do the 2 years then I believe. I didn't have my RE licence, just my learners permit, but got it in 2017.
                          Don't take this as gospel but if you had your learners permit before this was introduced you should be on the old system and only have the 1 year wait.
                          In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...em_changes.pdf

^^
                            DOT website says this:

Learner's permit issued before 5 November 2018

You will continue under the system in place before 5 November 2018. You will
                            not be required to complete a motorcycle HPT or hold the learner's permit for a
                            minimum period of six months.
                            If the R-E learner’s permit is your first class of licence, the Graduated Driver Training
                            and Licensing (GDT&L) requirements will apply (Minimum age eligibility, minimum
                            six months between learners permit and HPT, log book requirements and PDA.

Licence issued before 5 November 2018

Holders of an R-E class licence that was issued prior to 5 November 2018, may elect to sit a PDA to upgrade
                            to an R class licence after having held the R-E licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
                            If an R-E licence holder chooses to have supervised riding lessons on an R class motorcycle, a learner’s
                            permit is not required.

edit (the way I read it):

RE license only attained prior to 5 Nov 2018
                            means RE period is 12 months only.(ie. on the old licensing system). Does not apply to permits.

Might be worth a phone call to DOT as it could be interpreted in two different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                              Don't take this as gospel but if you had your learners permit before this was introduced you should be on the old system and only have the 1 year wait.
                              I hope thats the case. Just need to confirm confirm because that would be great. 2 years too long when you have the bike already lol.Thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon View Post
                                https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...em_changes.pdf

^^
                                DOT website says this:

Learner's permit issued before 5 November 2018

You will continue under the system in place before 5 November 2018. You will
                                not be required to complete a motorcycle HPT or hold the learner's permit for a
                                minimum period of six months.
                                If the R-E learner’s permit is your first class of licence, the Graduated Driver Training
                                and Licensing (GDT&L) requirements will apply (Minimum age eligibility, minimum
                                six months between learners permit and HPT, log book requirements and PDA.

Licence issued before 5 November 2018

Holders of an R-E class licence that was issued prior to 5 November 2018, may elect to sit a PDA to upgrade
                                to an R class licence after having held the R-E licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
                                If an R-E licence holder chooses to have supervised riding lessons on an R class motorcycle, a learner’s
                                permit is not required.

edit (the way I read it):

RE license only attained prior to 5 Nov 2018
                                means RE period is 12 months only.(ie. on the old licensing system). Does not apply to permits.

Might be worth a phone call to DOT as it could be interpreted in two different ways.
                                Yeah, I may have to call in, because I read over this also but just talks about RE 'licence' holders rather than learner permits for these new rules. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X