Krypto U-locks opened with ball-point pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krypto U-locks opened with ball-point pen

Just thought anyone that use's a Krypto U-lock should be aware of this. Don't want our pride and joy's getting flogged cause of this.

Un-believable

http://thirdrate.com/misc/krypto.mov
    http://www.engadget.com/common/videos/pt/lock.wmv (right click save as)

If the links don't work let me know as I downloaded the clips to my PC and I can re-link to the files so you can see if you like.

Hope I posted in the right forum wasn't sure.

cheers

Just use a pen it's the "way to go"

Comment

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

bugger me. dayum im glad ive got the disc lock, not a u-lock.

it took like 5 sec to bust it open.

good find MoNtArOo

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  

bugger me. dayum im glad ive got the disc lock, not a u-lock.

it took like 5 sec to bust it open.

good find MoNtArOo
        Aren't they the same locking mechanism though?
        sigpic

Comment

fuk, im going to test it now,

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

It could be based on "Brand" aka Krypto as to whether or not you can hack it with a ball point pen. I would guess different brands could have different quality mechmism's for locking. Or I don't know what im talking about and im just dribbling now

cheers

Comment

well ive got this, a Kryptodisc DFS Chrome Disc lock

and i coulndt get it to work.......

/me is relieved

(\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

Comment

maybe you used the wrong colour pen to try & hack it .....ya never know black might work better than blue

Comment

Well it made the news.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/17/news/midca...onite/index.htm

The company confirmed the weakness with CNN/Money on Friday and said new lock technology, one involving a disk-style cylinder instead of tubes, will be rushed to the market as an upgrade to the company's Evolution and KryptoLok series, the lock models rendered vulnerable by the pen. What's not clear is who's going to pay for this upgrade. Donna Tocci, Kryptonite's public relations manager, said the company was working on plan and details would be released next week.
                  Kryptonite also said this is the first the company is hearing of the problem. But according to BikeBiz.com, a British journalist discovered the pen trick back in 1992.
                  sigpic

Comment

Kryptonite's Website

Canton, MA September 17, 2004 - Kryptonite today announced it will provide free product upgrades for certain locks purchased since September 2002, in response to consumer concerns about tubular cylinder lock technology. Consumers can visit the company's Website (www.kryptonitelock.com) on Wednesday afternoon, September 22, 2004, to learn how they can participate in the security upgrade program.

Consumers who have purchased an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years are eligible for a product upgrade free of charge from Kryptonite. Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify.
                    Meow.

Comment

...........offering a free worldwide upgrade program for anyone who bought an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years (if you’ve had it for more than two years you qualify for a “sizeable rebate”). You have to have either registered your key number, sign up for their anti-theft program, or have proof of purchase to qualify for the offer.

make sure you go and register you keys

Clicky, Clicky

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

For Sale:

Used Kryptonite U-Lock. No keys but comes with a complete set of BIC ball pens.

$5 ONO.
                        Will you insure me?!

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7102784286

(\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(")

Comment

nice find.....ebay gotta love it

Comment

This is off the KRYPTONITE website

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KRYPTONITE OFFERS FREE PRODUCT EXCHANGES TO ALL CURRENT OWNERS
                              OF KRYPTONITE TUBULAR CYLINDER LOCKS

Lock Manufacturer Continues to Set the Standard for Security and Service

Canton, MA September 22, 2004 – Kryptonite today announced that the company is offering free product exchanges to all consumers who are concerned about the security of their current Kryptonite tubular cylinder locks.

At no charge to them, consumers will be able to exchange their current Kryptonite tubular cylinder lock for a Kryptonite non-tubular cylinder lock. Kryptonite will begin exchanging products within a few weeks as it accelerates product availability.

If you currently own a Kryptonite tubular cylinder lock and are concerned about the security of this lock, Kryptonite will exchange this lock for you with a comparable non-tubular cylinder lock.

To participate in the exchange program, please send an email to [email protected]

You will receive an auto response asking you for information including your name, address and lock type. It will also give you information on exchanging your lock. Kryptonite will pay the postage for all exchanges. Please note that this email address sends an auto response – do not send questions to this email address as it is not monitored. If you have questions, please send an email to [email protected]

We expect locks to begin shipping in mid-October.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X