X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new rape laws

New rape laws go too far, say barristers | NEWS.com.au

So, let me get this straight.

I go to the pub, get totalled, some chick picks me up (yeah, happens all the time, have to beat them off with a stick, etc - bear with me ^_^), we go back to her place, do the deed... she gets knocked up....

Whats to stop me taking it to court and saying that *I* was drunk and didn't consent, to thus get out of child support? What's to stop *her* claiming rape, when she was the instigator? Not allowed to claim that if you're male? Isn't that sexual discrimination?

Whilst rape is terrible, etc... this new law is broken...

Comments?

edit:
    What about gays? If the law excludes males from being able to claim that yes means no (or rather, that they were not coherent to legally consent) when drunk, how does that work?
    Last edited by thro; 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

It should be called the "regret it in the morning" law.

I see where it's coming from, but it sounds dangerous.
    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Certainly a grey area when either both or one person is drunk.
      In the example cited, if she is feeling guilty after that fact and goes to the police, cant say I think this should go in the "rape" category (if consentual at the time) , but if she is saying no while she is drunk and he isnt listening well then its clear cut.
      Rape is terrible no matter who its done to/by, but "changing" your mind after that fact...cant say I agree with the law in that scenario.

Comment

^^ Agreed.

Law for the sake of making a law without thinking it through is dangerous shit.

And this, is dangerous shit...
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

mm no forget it, nothing to see here

Comment

Regret saying something after the fact?
            This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Rediculas.

So if you shit her off in the moring she can say she was drunk, thus her yes was a no.

Where did these lawyers come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                mm no forget it, nothing to see here

Not quite so simple stoney... with this new law (if i understand it according to what was reported), i could go out having no intention of taking my clothes off, pass out, have some girl (or guy) violate me and then, because i am male, have her claim rape, or in the case of being sodomised by a bloke, have no legal recourse....

Comment

We should be working on ways that real victims are able to go through the prosecution process without the damaging pressures that make them unwilling to come forward not new wish washy laws.

And real criminals should be able to be given a time that matches the crime.

Comment

Seems real simple to me...

Don't fuck drunk chicks.

Period.

Personally I try to live to that mantra anyway.
                    The Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by resist View Post

Don't fuck drunk chicks.
                      booyah, Thats the bottom line.

Comment

Lucky I'm married, or I'd be screwed.

Everyone regrets sleeping with me, but surely that shouldn't be criminal?
                        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by resist View Post

Don't fuck drunk chicks.

Period.

Personally I try to live to that mantra anyway.

(95 % of the population no longer has sex....)

Comment

thats so grey. if the bloke is sobre, then now he has to be an expert at determining if someone is drunk or under the influence of drugs. what if the bloke is equally as drunk? how is he meant to determine the drunkness of someone else.

bah...looks like a law made just to make the lawyers richer.

Comment

Allow me to say, in full knowledge that people will react badly to it, that if a person (man or woman) chooses to ingest so much alcohol that they do something they regret, then they brought it on themselves. This law will remove the responsibility someone has for themselves, the responsibility they have to not put themselves in a situation where they could get hurt. If that means not drinking a lot because they know they can't handle it, like me, then if they do happen to do something they regret later because they were drunk, which I have, then they brought it on themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X