X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoons - Seizing cars

Interesting article about some hoons over the weekend

Three to be summonsed for highway hooning | PerthNow

what's actually most interesting is one of the comments which has really highlighted something.

3 drivers were caught doing 175 in an 100 zone.

1 driver @ 20yrs old = car confiscated
    1 driver @ 23yrs old = car confiscated
    1 driver @ 48yrs old = car NOT confiscated

so, if you're not in your twenties, then go ahead!

(almost like desmo keeping his bike since he's in his 30's now....)

Well the young two were racing, the old guy was just speeding.
    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

^^ WHS

I heard (ie, never seen it in law) the hoon laws only applied to under 25s...
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

that's not the point.

over 60kmh/r over the speed limit falls into the 45km/hr + bracket for the hoon law to take effect. why not be consistent? this is the same police vehicle as the first incident. they had confiscated those, should have also confiscated his.

look, i'm against it all anyway, just find it ironic that they want to crack down on hoons, stipulated that hoonish includes going more than 45kmh over the limit, then not apply those laws to older drivers.

Comment

Well since it is at the officers discretion i'm sure they would deal with the situation as they see fit.

E.g. bust a P plater doing nuts in a silvia : oh you better impound that car
          catch a businessman doing 46 over in his BMW : maybe a fine and demerits is more appropriate.

fucking p platers

Comment

where does it say that the 48 yr olds car was NOT impounded?
            jut because they may just not have specified it was impounded doesnt mean it wasnt

HH

Comment

Well were they going to make him walk?
              This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

true, but given they specified that the others were confiscated and that one wasn't mentioned, it begs to reason that it wasn't.

Comment

i'm quite happy with the under 25's getting vehicles impounded, justs means i can do what i want mercilessly
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                    that's not the point.

over 60kmh/r over the speed limit falls into the 45km/hr + bracket for the hoon law to take effect. why not be consistent? this is the same police vehicle as the first incident. they had confiscated those, should have also confiscated his.

look, i'm against it all anyway, just find it ironic that they want to crack down on hoons, stipulated that hoonish includes going more than 45kmh over the limit, then not apply those laws to older drivers.
                    The two young blokes were racing - the hoon amendments to the Road Traffic Act specifically cover racing with confiscation as a punishment for being caught racing (amongst other things). The 45km/h over speeding thing was tacked on later.

Comment

And it is my main complaint about the 'hoon' laws.
                      To be labelled a hoon just because I wish to travel at a speed that is safe for the circumstances aggravates me, and there are quite a few pollies that know that.

When these laws first came in a businessman was caught doing 201 in a porsche down past Mandurah and his car wasn't confiscated.

I would make the point that just because he has a Porsche doesn't mean he can drive it. Similarly, there would be some young people who can drive, and therefore shouldn't be discriminated against just because of their age.

But if you get caught racing another on the street, you know you are in big trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                        true, but given they specified that the others were confiscated and that one wasn't mentioned, it begs to reason that it wasn't.
                        The officers discretion comes into play, in the first instance both were observed racing each other and the hoon legislation for racing comes into play and allows the two vehicles to be seized.

According the press blurb the older driver got stung with reckless driving, which involves a summons to court, a minimum of 6 months license loss, the possibility of 9 months jail time and a fine up to $1500 on the magistrates ruling. Reckless also allows for the prosecution to upgrade to dangerous. He sure as hell won't be walking away unscathed from it. Also consider, Brand highway late afternoon, seize a car and do what with the driver? He's not drunk, you have all his details and you have a duty of care, you can't leave him standing on the side of the road....

The first two due the the "circumstance of aggravation" being the observed contest of driver skills, allows the police to act and seize and also summons for the reckless. In the suburbs, both young and I believe they're trying to get the point across, and that only happens by actions. They can be picked up by friends/family.

I wasn't there, I didn't see it and from the information gleaned from the news site, that would be my interpretation.
                        '12 Crosstourer

Comment

Police descretion, gotta love it...

Its the reason you get let off for what are pineapple offences...

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            Well the young two were racing, the old guy was just speeding.
                            Fark...is 48 'old' ?:o

Comment

Judging by the perthnow article I would say the (unmarked) cops may have baited one driver to engage in a race and someone behind them wanted to join in on the fun. How nice of them...
                              And sorry to burst the bubble on all you oldies but;
                              With the 48 yo driver I think it was just a case of the officers suffering from CBF as they did him in Greenough and it may have been too long to wait for the towie.

Comment

Working...
                              X