Motorcycle law delays will cost lives - racwa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle law delays will cost lives - racwa

Article from Sunday Times online you may find interesting.

Glenn Cordingley
    August 15, 2009 06:00pm

WA'S peak motoring body has been told that greater restrictions on new motorbike riders will not be introduced for three years.

The RAC said the delay was frustrating and the inevitable deaths that would follow "could have been avoided''.

The group has been lobbying state governments for tougher motorcyclist training and licensing restrictions for five years, such as curfews and speed limits similar to car P-platers.

A meeting of the Motorcycle and Scooter Safety Action Group in Perth yesterday was told changes would be made by the Department of Transport -- but not until 2012.

"More motorcyclists will be killed on our roads while we keep waiting,'' RAC head of member advocacy Matt Brown said.

"There is no question more people will die and those deaths could have been avoided if this was introduced five years ago. Now we are in the frustrating position of being forced to wait until 2012 before something is done.''

The RAC and the MSSAG want restrictions placed on new motorcyclists until they reach an acceptable level of experience.

"It might be you look at setting a speed limit on them,'' Mr Brown said. "With P-plate car drivers at the moment you have got a curfew. You can look at a whole range of things in a graduated rider training system. It is not just the power of the bike.''

New motorbike license holders in WA are restricted to 250cc engines for 12 months, before being allowed an open permit for any size machine.

The RAC said a graduated system would help provide awareness, education and practicality of riding over a staggered amount of time.

"It's about restricting them from what they can do,'' Mr Brown said. You can get some pretty powerful 250cc bikes anyway, in terms of power-to-weight ratio. We are trying to make sure that while they are on the P-plate system, some controls are on them.''

The RAC said motorcycles only made up about 6 per cent of WA's vehicle fleet, but in 2008, 17 per cent of road deaths were motorcyclists.

Mr Brown said that since the first MSSAG forum on April 3 this year, there had been nine motorcycle deaths and 23 serious injuries.

``That's pretty much one death every fortnight,'' he said. If you are killing motorcyclists at this rate and its going to take eight years before a sensible road safety measure is introduced, something is wrong with the system.''
    Last edited by newjack66; 15-08-2009, 08:28 PM.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson

Do the RAC even insure Motorcylcists?

Whats the bet he doesnt even ride. Nowhere do I see that the stats show that rider deaths are all new riders. From memory alot of new riders have had their license for a long time and get back into it later on thus the system still wouldnt work.

I do however agree that more training could improve all drivers and riders. The main reason IMHO (without looking at the stats) is we are more vunerable than people in cages. How about we make all WA drivers better instead of discriminating against a minority of road users.

Hell you could start with making all users of two wheeled vehicles sit an assesment just cos its 50cc doesnt make it the same as a car.

How about some motorcycle awareness and being proactive for a change?!?

Comment

Suck my dick RAC, that's all i have to say.

"Better make sure i get my 250 before anyone decides to do what the UK is doing" lol they're laws suck!

Comment

The RAC said motorcycles only made up about 6 per cent of WA's vehicle fleet, but in 2008, 17 per cent of road deaths were motorcyclists.

Mr Brown said that since the first MSSAG forum on April 3 this year, there had been nine motorcycle deaths and 23 serious injuries.

``That's pretty much one death every fortnight,'' he said. If you are killing motorcyclists at this rate and its going to take eight years before a sensible road safety measure is introduced, something is wrong with the system.''
        And how many of the nine motorcycle deaths and 23 serious injuries were courtesy of RAC members driving cars?
        Please, call me Flash...

Comment

Originally posted by emuexport View Post
          Do the RAC even insure Motorcylcists?
          Yes. But from memory they won't insure riders under 25 for anything over 650ccs. I had my 250 insured with them... $200 excess with no additional age or experience excesses.

Originally posted by Flash Harry View Post
          And how many of the nine motorcycle deaths and 23 serious injuries were courtesy of RAC members driving cars?
          Probably not so many, given I recall there being a fair few fatal single vehicle motorcycle accidents last year...

Comment

that shits me about the staged power for p platers sure there is some bad elements but it all comes down to common sense i have spent the last year of my P's on the thou sure their have been moments on the thing but it all comes down to the indervidual and as of yet i don't think they have a test for stupidity.

being on the 250 for a year is long enough imo some people choose to stay on it longer but most people that i have met have had enough comon sense to know when they are ready to upgrade so forcing a scaled system after the 250 period for p platers is a joke if they are going to do it at all they should do it for all new RE-R riders not just the P platers.
            Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

Where's the push to have similar restrictions applied to all car drivers, they are focussed on Riders, (watched it on the news tonight) they want more testing etc for riders... wtf... we already have more than the average fucking car driver...
              Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

This guy is in the news again?
                IMO, its hardly ever the p-platers or the motorcyclists that cause most of the accidents, its the car drivers that got taught by their parents 40 years ago, drove round the block to get their license and never learnt the road rules or how to drive in adverse conditions.

This wont stop older people who got their K license upgraded to an R from dying on our roads and it certainly wont make car drivers more attentive when they are driving. This guy is a dick.
                Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by newjack66 View Post
                  [I] "It's about restricting them from what they can do,'' Mr Brown said. You can get some pretty powerful 250cc bikes anyway, in terms of power-to-weight ratio. We are trying to make sure that while they are on the P-plate system, some controls are on them.''
                  Omg! they set the rules as to how many cc's you can have in your first year and they are complaining about it :o What a bunch of cocks
                  With the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if speed limits dropped by at least 20km/h in the next 5 years. imagine, 110 down to 90 :o ugh!
                  Degreaser?

Comment

The RAC can suck my hairy nutsack.

Comment

Looks like the grant dorrington virus is spreading to other ppl

Comment

Seems to be 2 forums for the same topic

My comments are here

Comment

Lets ban everyone with less then 100 working braincells from driving a car over 2000cc, this should stop most of the problems. Not to mention the fact that(im just guessing, but rightly so i think) the roads in the perth metro area are pretty shit, gravel all over the corners, roads arent even flat, like 100000000 speed humps one after the other, poor lighting on most of them as well.....

The single motorcyclist accidents/deaths were only partly their fault, take into account the roads, the trick corners and the weather and bam, the rider might be 10% at fault.....get main roads to fix their shitty roads and you could probably save 30% of those people.
                          Success is nothing more then taking advantage of an opportunity.

Comment

Roads aren't supposed to flat sunshine, drainage and all that. This may cause some flamage, but riding to the conditions can also save that mentioned 30%
                            Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                            For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy_9005 View Post
                              The single motorcyclist accidents/deaths were only partly their fault, take into account the roads, the trick corners and the weather and bam, the rider might be 10% at fault.....get main roads to fix their shitty roads and you could probably save 30% of those people.
                              Get the motorcyclists to ride to the conditions and you could probably save the other 70%.

Granted the roads are crappy, and drivers utterly inept, but many riders lack experience and road sense, particularly on unfamiliar roads or riding in unfamiliar groups...

Comment

Working...
                              X