Disney buys Marvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney buys Marvel

WALT Disney agreed to buy Marvel Entertainment overnight for $US4 billion ($4.7 billion) in the biggest media deal of the year, banking on Marvel's roster of superheroes to broaden its lineup of movie franchises that appeal to boys.

Disney adds Iron Man, Incredible Hulk andThor to its roster of lovable characters like Mickey Mouse and Snow White, and will feature the comic book heroes in movies before rolling out associated theme park rides, TV shows and merchandise.

But the deal comes at a tough time in the entertainment business, with advertisers avoiding spending on new campaigns and consumers cutting back on everything from DVDs to travel.

The deal is also expensive. The price tag values Marvel at 37 times its estimated 2009 earnings, and offers shareholders a 29 per cent premium to Friday's closing price. Standard & Poor's reacted by placing Disney's credit rating on its negative watchlist.

But the risk of overpaying did not deter Disney from seeking out a deal to address an area of concern among investors: How can it better reach more young males.

I expect to see a Disney Vs Marvel game coming out on Wii, PS3 & Xbox in the next year or so, just like Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe or Mario vs Sonic. Can't wait to play Sn...
    "This helps give Disney more important exposure to the young male demographic that they have sort of lost some ground with in recent years," said David Joyce, an analyst with Miller Tabak & Co.

Indeed, Disney has long been a blockbuster brand with girls thanks to characters such as Hannah Montana, Cinderella and Snow White, but has struggled to achieve the same kind of success with boys.
    Movies including Iron Man 2, due to hit theaters next year, or 2011's Spider-Man 4 and Avengers should help resolve that issue.

Disney will also be able to use its marketing and entertainment strength - stretching from ABC to cable television to theme parks - to promote and build characters such as Thor in ways Marvel never could.

The deal is Disney's largest since the $US7.6 billion purchase of Pixar in 2006, and it immediately caused reverberations. Shares in DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc spiked 5 per cent on speculation it may become a takeover target.

And analysts raised questions about companies like Viacom, Discovery Communications, and Hasbro Inc that have existing business partnerships with Marvel.

To acquire Marvel, Disney agreed to pay a total of $US30 per share in cash plus about 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share owned. The deal was approved by the boards of both companies.

The shares of Marvel, which was founded in 1939 and rolled out its first blockbuster character, Captain America, in 1941, shot up to a high of $US49.29 before falling a bit to close at $US48.37 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Good economy in US huh??

Comment

I agree that this alows Marvel to use all of Disneys marketing and all, but for some reason I dont like the idea of Marvel being owned by Disney.
      This is my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Coruja View Post
        I agree that this alows Marvel to use all of Disneys marketing and all, but for some reason I dont like the idea of Marvel being owned by Disney.
        Could Marvels movies really be any worse than they are now?

Iron man is the only good one they have made and that was only because Favreau Was a huge fan.
        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
          Could Marvels movies really be any worse than they are now?

Iron man is the only good one they have made and that was only because Favreau Was a huge fan.
          I just wanna fuck the chick in spiderman, I really dont care about their movies

Comment

I can't wait for Marvel babies, more singing and dancing in movies, and more general cuteness.

Seriously, comic book movie bore me to death, they need to so something
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
              I just wanna fuck the chick in spiderman

I like the shitty marvel movies, but I wouldnt lose any sleep if Disney fucked them up (more).

Comic book nerds carry on about the inaccuracies enough as it is, I cant imagine them getting worse.
              Originally posted by Amac
              suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                I just wanna fuck the chick in spiderman, I really dont care about their movies
                Who you mean Snaggletooth?
                My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
                  Who you mean Snaggletooth?
                  Ehehe. I'm not that partial to her either.

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                  Seriously, comic book movie bore me to death, they need to so something
                  Yah, but lots of us are fans. I hold X-Men 2 up as one of the better movies in my collection, of any genre. There's no need for Disney to come in and wreck it* for the people who like em

*no guarantee they will, but no guarantee they won't. I'm inclined to hold the pessimistic view given the surrounding evidence.
                  Insert witty comment here

Comment

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is a terrible fucking idea for the Marvel franchise.

I wonder what will happen to the badass characters in the Marvel lineup like the Punisher, Cable and Deadpool, etc..
                    c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Well considering Disney own Touchstone and Miramax I dont think anyone has to worry about them going to soft.

Comment

*buys disney shares*

Comment

some further reading here for those interested

IGN: Disney Buys Marvel
                          "Live free or die. The motto of escape."
                          - Jed McKenna

Comment

I hope they dont ruin the marvel franchise

Comment

Working...
                            X