Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police abandon motorcycle speed camera plan

Police abandon motorcycle speed camera plan | National News | News.com.au

A NATIONAL police commissioners' plan to force Australia's motorcyclists to wear front number plates has been quietly dumped.
    The plan had been the result of 10 years of study, at a direct cost of almost $500,000 and other millions lost in state government revenues, The Australian reports.
    For almost 30 years, motorcyclists have been able to thumb their noses at speed cameras - sometimes travelling at more than double the speed limit - because they have not had to display front number plates for safety reasons.
    Front plates were removed after injuries to riders and pedestrians and because the plates affected air flow and steering.

In 2000, all police commissioners asked for a study to put front licence plates back on motorcycles because police believed riders were speeding because they would not be caught.
    According to Freedom of Information documents obtained by the Pedestrian Council of Australia, the study, conducted by Victorian transport authorities, found it was possible to use a system of stick-on plates or a mounting.

However a method suitable for every existing motorcycle could not be found.

States are forgoing an estimated $2 million a year each in revenue from fines as motorcycles evade detection.

The latest report of Victoria's Road Safety and Transport group said this month that "identifying vehicles engaged in illegal acts, such as speeding or travelling through red lights at intersections, is a significant issue for enforcement agencies".
    Some motorcyclists also escape detection from cameras by covering their rear licence plates.
    Others flaunt their speeding immunity by doing wheelies past police cameras.
    Some are caught only when identified by tattoos on their arms.
    Last year, New South Wales police arrested a motorcyclist who allegedly sped past police cameras near the Spit Bridge in Sydney more than 2000 times while covering his rear number plate with his hand to avoid detection.
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Common sense prevails....for a change.
    Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

States are forgoing an estimated $2 million a year each in revenue from fines as motorcycles evade detection.
      Awww they're not getting as much money as they would like so they had a cry and failed
      Drink all day, play all night,
      Let's get it poppin'.
      I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Teh Oh Noes! Don't forget that the most important thing about speed camera's is that they save lives. Except for those people on bikes, we don't care about them enough to blatantly lie to them.

If so many bikers are speeding anyway, perhaps this indicates something, no? The bit about doing mono's past a camera is not terribly bright though, it's just taunting them to do something about it, giving them more of a case to get "Dangerous Murdercycalists" off our roads.
        Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
        Originally posted by filbert
        it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

...sped past police cameras near the Spit Bridge in Sydney more than 2000 times...
          that's gotta be a typo, surely

good news tho, but no surprise (assuming common sense holds out)

Comment

I love it how butthurt they're getting that they get pinged for speeding and a lot of riders don't.

It's the same fucking mentality that makes people feel the need to accelerate by 20kph every time they hit an overtaking lane with people behind them.

Or pull into the middle when they see someone splitting ~fury~
            Originally posted by Dragunov-21
            If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

I wonder when the rear facers will be abandoned.

Comment

^thats what i was hoping this thread was about
                Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

The lazy doughnut eaters will have to actually sit around near a speed camera to catch us :O

I love australia

Comment

Interestingly, I like the way they say ...

At the end of the day its never been about safety or deaths .. for them its all about the revenue.
                    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm No Superman View Post
                      I wonder when the rear facers will be abandoned.
                      Why would they?
                      Doesnt cost (significantly) more than front facers.
                      WA already has owner onus.

All I see is the other states now adopting owner onus laws also.

Comment

^^I think he was kidding =P

Just outta interest, what are owner onus laws?
                        Originally posted by Dragunov-21
                        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Dragunov: instead of somebody being able to say 'I don't know that guy, I lent my bike to a backpacker, send him the ticket if you can find him', you are now required by law to be able to identify anybody driving/riding your vehicle, or you wear the ticket yourself.

That was mainly caused by business vehicles, they had thousands of tickets a year they could not enforce due to not being able to ID the driver. Now all these tickets get paid one way or another.
                          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                            Just outta interest, what are owner onus laws?
                            Basically, If a vehicle registered in your name is fined (speeding camera, parking etc) Unless you can provide the DoT with a driver who admits to the offence, you are liable for the fine.

Relatively recent law (year or two old) and not adopted by many other states apart from WA.
                            Last edited by xphread; 15-09-2009, 08:54 AM. Reason: too slow (again!) ...what Barfy said. :)

Comment

the front plate idea was stupid from the start so its good that its gone. hopefully for good now but i doubt it. itll come back in 5 yrs or so

if theyre so miffed about losing revenoo, they should just get more rear facing cameras ffs
                              There is no more time, even for cake. For you, the cake is over. You have reached the end of cake.

Comment

Working...
                              X