Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Demerits - Queen's Birthday Long Weekend

Office of Road Safety - Media Releases
    Double Demerit points apply from FrIday 25 September until midnight Monday 28 September 2009.

With many motorists out enjoying the Queen’s Birthday long weekend, Grant Dorrington, Independent Chair of the Road Safety Council, has reminded drivers to plan ahead, drive safe, and to be aware of the early signs of fatigue – and remind everyone that this weekend is double demerits.

“Identifying fatigue as a contributing factor in a crash is not straightforward for Police, however it is estimated that fatigue could be a factor in up to a staggering 30 per cent of all fatal road crashes,” said Mr Dorrington.

“Fatigue is quite literally a silent killer on our roads, which can also be responsible for a much greater percentage of serious injury crashes.

“With road trauma currently costing the community over $2.4 billion a year, and rising, we all need to be taking fatigue very, very seriously,” Mr Dorrington said.

To encourage safe driving behaviour over the long weekend, drivers will incur double demerit points if caught drink or drug driving, speeding, failing to wear a seatbelt or carrying passengers in the open load space of a vehicle.

“To avoid double demerit points, remember don’t drink or drug drive, stay within the posted speed limit and make sure everyone is wearing a seat belt and not travelling in an open load space,” Mr Dorrington said.

“Road Safety is a shared responsibility – let’s all work together this long weekend towards zero road deaths and serious injuries.”

^_^

To encourage safe driving behaviour over the long weekend, drivers will incur double demerit points if caught drink or drug driving, speeding, failing to wear a seatbelt or carrying passengers in the open load space of a vehicle.
    Drivers won't incur double demerit points in relation to other offences?
    Originally posted by Melkor
    The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

I believe that's normally how it goes

Comment

Cool, careless Queen's Birthday driving here I come
        Originally posted by Melkor
        The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

gay, but expected

Comment

We finally get a good weekend of weather and it's double demerits .

Sad sad panda.
            Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
            1985 - 2009

Comment

STOP! Runner time!
              ZippySig.com

Comment

Did you expect any less from a public holiday
                Originally posted by browncow
                Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
                  We finally get a good weekend of weather and it's double demerits .

Sad sad panda.
                  But you hath so many options!

Thou shalt not be tempted by warmer temperatures and stay at home

or

Thou shalt not ride like a twat

or

Thou shalt not get caught

Comment

You forgot- Thou shalt not stop!

Originally posted by maya View Post
                    But you hath so many options!

Thou shalt not be tempted by warmer temperatures and stay at home

or

Thou shalt not ride like a twat

or

Thou shalt not get caught
                    User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Do all the states and territories have double demerits on long weekends?
                      Last edited by atreides; 25-09-2009, 09:57 AM. Reason: and territories

Comment

I think double demerits is a good idea. Far better than double fines. Besides, I've still have 12 to play with
                        When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

A ride to Bunbury will fix that..........
                          Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                          For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

I ride a GPX so unless I get caught several times, my bike can't go fast enough for that!
                            When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

Can you do over 110? 3 x caught = 12 points. The gauntlet is fun
                              Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                              For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Working...
                              X