Don't use bank cards at these places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't use bank cards at these places

Below is a list of sites where the card skimming has occurred in WA. Please forward on so that the WA public (and others coming to WA) are aware!!

List of venues to avoid:

McDonalds Canning Vale
    McDonalds Maddington
    McDonalds City
    McDonalds Success
    McDonalds Cannington
    McDonalds South Perth

Coles Southern River
    Coles Gosnells
    Coles Thornlie
    Coles Maddington
    Coles Forest Lakes

Peak Service Station Bayswater
    Peak Service Station Kwinana
    Peak Service Station Maddington
    Peak Service Station Mundaring
    Peak Service Station Roleystone

BP Service Station Wembley
    BP Service Station Carlisle
    BP Service Station Manning
    BP Service Station Osborne Park

Apart from the fact that all those sites have been fixed... so this list means absolutely nothing
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Police said that email list going around is not correct.

WA EFTPOS Skimming Scam Tops $2.5 Million
      Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by merctom View Post
        Apart from the fact that all those sites have been fixed... so this list means absolutely nothing

Go ahead and use it then... perhaps you work at one of these places..fair enough

I know I will be avoiding the chance at any McDonalds or petrol station with a card

Comment

this list in about 2-3 weeks old now and was orginally put together by someone fo antilag car forums
          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiehoon View Post
            Go ahead and use it then... perhaps you work at one of these places..fair enough

I know I will be avoiding the chance at any McDonalds or petrol station with a card
            So you think a bank finds out that one of their merchants have an altered eftpos machine, and the bank just does nothing about it?

The second it was uncovered, the bank (in consultation with the merchant and the police) would have been out there changing the equipment.

And yeah, the police have repeatedly said the email list going around is incorrect.

Comment

With this card skimming bizzo, is it something they attach to the outside of the EFTPOS machine (making it something obvious) or do they do something internal so to look at you wouldn't realise ????

Im obvioulsy guessing the latter, but I haven't really been paying attention as to if it is something that you could spot as an average consumer going shopping.

Comment

Posted via Mobile Device i heard the news saying something about a microchip Last night. Not sure how though.

Comment

Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
                  Posted via Mobile Device i heard the news saying something about a microchip Last night. Not sure how though.
                  I've heard (from a completely unconfirmed source) that a "technician" has turned up to these sites with a new POS terminal to replace their "faulty" one. Add in the bit about a modified chip, and (my guess) a wireless connection to someone in the carpark to collection card numbers and PIN's and you have collection of details ready to be exploited.

The bit about the wireless connection seems valid to me, as it would be pretty unlikely that the details are being routed via the customer VPN to the internet - as those VPN's are pretty tightly controlled to prevent this sort of hack. ANother theory is that "someone" in Macdonalds is in on the scam, and is collating details that way....but this is unlikely as that sort of traffic would be easily logged and cross-checked.
                  Dead Man's Hand
                  Internationational Porter Protection Group
                  Just call me Pat

Comment

there are lots of theories and also places not to go and to go..
                    Good on you aussiehoon for thinking of others.....
                    A site all parents should check regulary
                    http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

WTF is wrong with people these days??? Does anyone use cash anymore????

Its fucking anoying waiting for someone when they are using a card for $7 or $10 purchase

Comment

but how do you get your cash out when there are skimmers on the ATM's?

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                          but how do you get your cash out when there are skimmers on the ATM's?
                          Well the more you use your card to more chances you got to being skimed. Am i right

So if you dont want to be skimed pay by cash.

Comment

I've started giving Maccas IOU's
                            Originally posted by Abuse this
                            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_FJ View Post
                              With this card skimming bizzo, is it something they attach to the outside of the EFTPOS machine (making it something obvious) or do they do something internal so to look at you wouldn't realise ????

Im obvioulsy guessing the latter, but I haven't really been paying attention as to if it is something that you could spot as an average consumer going shopping.
                              like fat pat said, its an altered eftpos terminal which gets swapped for the original one.

after this scam first emerged i did a bit of research and ended up finding out where i could purchase these altered machines. they come in 3 versions, one that records all the card and pin details to an internal sd card, one that sends the details via sms to a mobile anywhere and one that sends the details via bluetooth to another bluetooth enabled device within range.

all the modifications are internal so there is no obvious sign for consumers to look for.

the above is the case for retailers and service stations that have been targeted, im not sure how the mcdonalds stores have been hit.

since this seems to be so widespread at the moment i have gone back to using cash to pay for almost all my purchases. i simply cant afford the inconvenience of waiting for the bank to get it back to me.
                              TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
                              Discounts for PSB members
                              ----------
                              [email protected] - Ph: 0415 425 524 - or PM me

Comment

Working...
                              X