More Card Skimming - this time a well known Supermarket chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Card Skimming - this time a well known Supermarket chain

Just been over to the bank to get money for the weekend and was talking to the lady behind the counter about Card Skimming.

Apparantley it has now even hit COLES :o:o she didn't mention what suburb though.

Here was me thinking it had gone quite, bugger, guess who went to Coles last night on the way home :mellow:

Will have to keep an eye on the account over the weekend, just in case
    Last edited by Stoneville; 23-10-2009, 03:18 PM.

Lucky I don't go shopping at the Spermarket...

Comment

Why are people even still using their cards at the moment, surely cash would be a smarter move.
      Would have thought people would have figured that one out by now?

EDIT: And Rich, is that a spelling Nazi comment there?
      Last edited by Desmo; 23-10-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Its quite simple, go to your bank, get cash out to last you the week, and use it. Repeat weekly.

This is not advised for people who are careless with their wallets either.
        ZippySig.com

Comment

Or even more simple, have two separate cards and accounts.

Keep a minimum of $ in one account and use that account for all your normal transactions.

If it gets compromised, you still have the other account/card, a minimum of $ is gone/in dispute and you're only inconvenienced to a minor extent.

Comment

Wouldn't have anything to do with that bogus email the other week naming Coles as one of the targets would it?
            Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
            For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

I heard on the radio that if you change your pin then you should be okay. Obviously still an issue if the skimming is still active (as opposed to having been done in the past and only stealing now).

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you, but I only get 1-2 chances per month to pop into a bank and withdraw cash. Damned if I'm going to carry all of the money I might need over the course of a month around with me. Credit card might be the way to go where possible... For starters, it isn't "your" money that'd get stolen in a worst case scenario.

Comment

bankwest sent me a new card and pin without notifying me, made it a pain when i was trying to pre pay for fuel cause they canned my old card cause it was apparently compromised havent used it it a while so dunno how

Comment

Change your PIN's people! At least on a weekly basis until they sort this out.

Comment

If they're emptying accounts out within a day or two of compromising them, the effect of changing your PIN on a weekly basis will be minimal - would only help you if you'd been compromised in the last day-ish, and hadn't yet had your account emptied.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
                        bankwest sent me a new card and pin without notifying me,
                        same
                        annoying now no card, but popped into bank on Thurs to get out what was needed for the week,

in a way its saving too, because I cant put the card into every little money slot I pass, might go back to the old school way and not use the new card when it turns up, only because I go to the bank most days for work anyway

Comment

It's a dumb question, But if you do get skimmed, does the bank give you your money back.

Comment

yes, as it is thier security that is compromised.
                            I refused bankwest to cancel my card yesterday. It only ever has 40 bucks available.They are sending me a new one.
                            Keep all savings in a non card account, and have a credit card for any suprises.

Interesting is the fraud department said changing pin does not stop them.[i]Posted via Mobile Device[/,i]

Comment

Working...
                            X