X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do we think?

Hello all!

New to psb and like what I see so far..

I have just started lessons and love it! I am a 5"4 female of avg build and am looking at buying my first bike.

What do we think of the Yamaha YZF-R15? I was initially going after a ninja, but this is quite a bit cheaper, a lil bit smaller and lighter...
    Chevster
    Last edited by Chevster; 07-05-2011, 10:11 PM.
    Be who you are and say how you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Congrats and welcome to PSB

Dubs

Comment

Hey and welcome

Just get a 250... really. You will thank yourself the first time you need to get up a decent hill.

Comment

Hi, don't worry about the smaller and lighter bit, once you are riding it doesn't make that much of a difference. AS Falcon said get a 250, better yet get an older 250 or at least a second hand ninja, don't throw money away, save it for later

Lets us know when you're ready to come out and play

Comment

I sat on a Ninja today and was overwhelmed by how big it is... I doubt I'll manage a corner without dropping it! This is why I looked at something a bit smaller and lighter. Always wanted a Ninja though, so not really sure what to do.
          Be who you are and say how you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Comment

Welcome...

Go the 250...

There's a lot of girls smaller than you riding bikes bigger and heavier than a 250...

Comment

Hi Chevster, welcome!
              Is that the royal we, or the tell me what I think we?
              Whats your budget? I'm 5'7 too, pretty much you could get anything. Definitely get a 250.
              And if you're interested my Hyosung is for sale (see my sig)
              Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Chevster View Post
                I sat on a Ninja today and was overwhelmed by how big it is... I doubt I'll manage a corner without dropping it!
                You won't, trust me, it doesn't work like that. The only thing that would matter in regards to your size is if you lack sufficient upper body strength to steer / counter-steer quickly enough to get around corners. In which case you wouldn't drop it, you'd go off the road instead

EDIT: Oops, or if you're really light, leaning won't shift the centre of gravity of you+bike as much. But that would just end up the same way as above. And you'd have to be very light and riding very hard to have to worry about that.
                Last edited by falcon; 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Welcome, you won't drop it once it's moving. Get a cheap 250 and get R's and spend your money then.
                  Originally posted by Abuse this
                  Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

It is a bit overwhelming the weight isn't it?
                    I sat on an SR500 and was like "OMG!" it felt so heavy. I've sat on it a few times now......and it's not that bad.
                    I would also suggest the 250... and as Stoneville said- go second hand
                    Good luck with finding a bike! Hopefully we'll see you out there!
                    Make sure that when you feel confident and comfortable to make it to one of our Learners and Newbie rides too- We'd love to see you out there!
                    Twigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos-incarnate View Post
                      Hi Chevster, welcome!
                      Is that the royal we, or the tell me what I think we?
                      Whats your budget? I'm 5'7 too, pretty much you could get anything. Definitely get a 250.
                      And if you're interested my Hyosung is for sale (see my sig)

Haha! It's a I-want-as-many-opinions-as-possible

I'd be happy to spend about $6,500ish, but obviously the less the better.

Comment

You're all so nice....

Quite blown away actually!

Thanks Twigs, I'd love to when I have my gear

Comment

My 2 cents as a new rider also... If you want the Ninja, get it, or at least a 2nd hand one. They should be around $5k-ish now that the new ones have been chopped in price. I have a 250 and honestly, I'm already starting to wish I had a bit more get-up-and-go.

I went for a cheaper CBF250 as I couldn't quite stretch to the price for a Ninja, I figured it's only for 12 months anyway ... I don't regret it, but, given the choice again I would save for the bike I really wanted (the Ninja).

Also, have a sit on the new CBR250R, not everybody is a fan from what I can tell, but, I think it'll feel a bit smaller than the Ninja. If you're willing to spend the full $6.5k that is.

And welcome to psb!

-Gray
                          ** NEW! Chat with the G-Force on #psb (irc.gamesurge.net) ... Now to actually get some friends ... **
                          "Lane Filtering is a spontaneous outburst of good sense in world smothered in twitchy and ever expanding safety margins."

Comment

Fair enough.
                            Hyo is cheaper thatn that and still has 6 months warranty. $5200 for you

Twigs, I didn't know you could ride now. I guess I will see you at the next WSR on your own bike then?
                            Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos-incarnate View Post
                              Fair enough.
                              Hyo is cheaper thatn that and still has 6 months warranty. $5200 for you

Twigs, I didn't know you could ride now. I guess I will see you at the next WSR on your own bike then?
                              I will give it many thoughts and research, thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X