Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noowbie needing bike advice

Hi all

Please excuse lack of Avatar and this could quite possibly be posted in the wrong thread (Tech challenged...).

I have my RE and will be buying another bike in the next few weeks. Limited $'s, vertically challenged (5" and a bit) and need to build some confidence again (have not ridden since last summer).

It looks like i'll be jumping on a Honda CBR125R (2 stroke)- nice and light (easy to pick up), can tiptoe (always nice to touch the ground), warranty (peace of mind?) and meets the budget - but not so happy (have a 250 licence and want at least a 250 bike). Also also looking at an '06 Kawa ZZR 250, but stretches the above a bit.

Had a Yammie SR for two odd years and gave me ouchies and grumps doing 80k in the wind to Mandurah. Now completely dead (RIP) and really don't need the frustration of another slow, fixxer uperer.

Want the bike as a commuter and weekend country rider. Has anyone got any advice for a light and low inexpensive 250? Or advice on the 125? Honda CBF250 too high, VTR250 too expensive, Virago - not going there.

I'll (ideally) be going for the R next summer.

Thanks in advance?
    Mickee

If you've been riding 2 years, why not get your R class and get a bike you'll be happy keeping? My 2c

Comment

Pic worked (not so tech challenged!) Anyway...

Changing jobs and losing work car in three weeks. Had a shitty time with the SR and have never been that confident riding the stoopid thing. Also been reading about the wait for the R test, can't reach the ground on the 250's i've tried (not a 'leaner') and have limitd $'s. Not keen on 125's???

Comment

I learnt to ride on an SR250, then moved up through a 500, 750, 1200, took a break with a 1100 then kept going to a 1300.

The SR250 is the most gutless piece of shit I could think back to. So unnastand where you're coming from. And the jump from that to a bigger bike which actually performed is going to be scary.

Consider a 2ndhand VTR250 - it'll feel like a litrebike after the SR, but they're cheap and well behaved and good for shortarses.

Get a newer one (but not a brand new one) and ride it for a year - if you don't mash it you'll probably get close to your money back and be much more confident about a bigger bike for NEXT summer.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

If your going to be using it as a daily commuter I'd really save some extra money and get a 4 stroke.
          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

heya mickee

in terms of your height i know a couple ppl in the 5' category that have had difficulty with the vtr250 in terms of ride height- have you tried to sit on a gpx250 or cbr250? Both of these are pretty easy to get on/off, plus you usually get close to what you bought it for when you sell it off again.

Comment

The VTR's are an awesome bike but one of the tallest 250's but should be okay if you don't mind being on tiptoes Don't bother with a small 2-stroke for the road. It will give you the shits just as bad as the SR as they have no low down grunt

Comment

Wot Cap'n Starfish said......
                Originally posted by Viper
                I'm probably fucking something up.
                FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                Administrator

Comment

The GPX seat is actually 1/2 inch lower than the CBR125R, I've got both bikes here and the wife is a short ass too, the GPX is a little to heavy for her confidence right now so she is learning on the 125.

Comment

The cbr125r is a 4-stroke, not a 2-stroke

Clicky me

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                      The VTR's are an awesome bike but one of the tallest 250's but should be okay if you don't mind being on tiptoes Don't bother with a small 2-stroke for the road. It will give you the shits just as bad as the SR as they have no low down grunt

2 strokes may be your thing, They handle better than the others and have alot more power if you know how to ride them, Most 4 stroke 250's wouldn't pull the skin off a pudding and 2 strokes have a 5k power spread.
                      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by arwon View Post
                        2 strokes may be your thing, They handle better than the others and have alot more power if you know how to ride them, Most 4 stroke 250's wouldn't pull the skin off a pudding and 2 strokes have a 5k power spread.
                        I only mention it because he said that he didn't want a fixer upperer and the 2-stroke are a bit more labour intensive, a shit load more fun though. upon looking properly he was looking at a 4 stroke 125 anyway (Probably not the best idea if you are doing a lot of freeway work as I assume you are from mandurah)

Comment

I (she) stand corrected - the 125 is a 4 stroke (oops, still learning. Thanks for the link, Taint)...

Not from Mandurah, but want to do a few country etc rides. A terrible shame to finally have a bike and licence (no more pillion bitch) and not maintain more than 80-90kph

VTR too heavy for tiptoes - I'd be the one taking a good half hour to park or stack.

Still, may be able to cut the seat or lower the forks, or even buy another pair of boots , depending on the bike. Will keep looking, thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

You shoud definately look @ the GPX if that is the case then, it is a pretty low bike and a hell of a lot more power than the CBR125R

Comment

The CBR125 is a fun little bike easy to control and runs on crap all fuel claimed in aus motor magazine of 2.7L/100km ive taken it up to 100km but i heard it can go 130 on the road like roe hwy and other 100km/h areas so if you want a small learning bike that corners great but wont go to far over the speed limit its a good bike- it looks cool to
                              its cheap aswell $4700 onr or near that
                              but its good to sell to ther learners when your up to sell
                              She's not hot enough to be a cougar...

Comment

Working...
                              X