Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from an (ex)Victorian with some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from an (ex)Victorian with some questions!

Hi all!

So after spending waaaay too long at uni I've finally finished and landed one of these WA mining jobs. Packed up all my stuff, left Melbourne and landed in Perth a few days ago. I sold the old car in Melbourne and I've always wanted to get my bike license so perfect opportunity says me, however I've been reading the WA DPI website and I'm a bit confused. I have a full Victorian car license so if I was in Vic the process would be:

1) 2 day course finishing in bike L's
    2) ride around on L's for at least 3 months (no pillion, 0 BAC, < 250cc, but no supervision required)
    3) sit P's test
    4) ride on P's for 12 months (no pillion, 0 BAC, < 250cc) then auto upgraded to full bike license.

Is the WA system (remember I have a full car license):
    1) sit a test get L's.
    2) have someone supervise me until I feel I'm OK,
    3) sit test for R-E license (no pillion, <250cc, 0 BAC, are these the only restrictions?)
    4) ride around on that for at least 12 months,
    5) apply for R learners, then R fulls?

Do I have to attend some sort of training course? I've ridden a couple of scooters before but only auto ones, so I'm pretty much a newbie.

Can anyone recommend any Perth bike stores? Looking pick up a cheap ZZR and all the safety gear.

I've had a scan through the site and it seems like a very friendly community, certainly way more active than anything I found in Vic!

See you round!

Cheers,

Aidan

PS In Vic bikes can park for free on the footpath, I'm assuming that is NOT the case here?

Welcome to WA Aidan. First thing you need to do is relax, unwind, and get used to things moving at half the pace you're used to.

You are correct about the process here, except you need to hold your R-E learners for 6 months before you sit your test. So if I were you I'd go and get it ASAP. Also be aware there is quite often a few months delay in being able to book a test, so getting the booking in ASAP is also a good idea. (see what I meant about things being a retarded, erm I mean slow over here).

You are correct, you can't park on the footpath. Most councils (eg. city of Perth) won't even let bikes park in a normal parking bay, they make you use the rare and popular bike bays.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

welcome to WA and bureaucracy gone mad. Idiot pollies

Barfridge got it in one, see you out and about

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
        Welcome to WA Aidan. First thing you need to do is relax, unwind, and get used to things moving at half the pace you're used to.

You are correct about the process here, except you need to hold your R-E learners for 6 months before you sit your test. So if I were you I'd go and get it ASAP. Also be aware there is quite often a few months delay in being able to book a test, so getting the booking in ASAP is also a good idea. (see what I meant about things being a retarded, erm I mean slow over here).

You are correct, you can't park on the footpath. Most councils (eg. city of Perth) won't even let bikes park in a normal parking bay, they make you use the rare and popular bike bays.

Welcome along mate. Not sure you are correct about the 6 month L before R-E test Barfridge, Roo Girl just got her licence after only a month on L's also she rang and got a test spot within a few days. I think they must have released some more places.
        As for getting hold of a bike keep your eyes on the for sale section of this forum, also check out the Motoring Plus section of the Quokka (our equivalent of yout Trading Post). Hope you enjoy your stay in WA
        [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Comment

I think the 6 month thing is for new liecense holders only ie never had a car or bike liecense before.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

also with R Class - you not only need to apply - you have to redo the prac test obviously on big bike

and can someone clarify the 'no pillion' bit - when I got my 250 RE I most certainly had a pillion and no one told me not to .....

EDIT : Oh, hi and welcome to PSB!
            Last edited by NikyNoo; 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot my manners!

Comment

I have a WA car licience and only got my L's October, booked my test straight away took two to three months. I got my RE in December.
              Yobbo

Comment

oh, well I'll STFU and get back in my box.
                For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Welcome to PSB and if you need a shadow or further help, check out the 250`s section...
                  SP RACINGis supported by:
                  MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                  Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                  Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

good luck sorting the paperwork out mate and welcome along

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Welcome to the place we call home.
                      See you at an event some time perhaps, before you get your bike there are all sorts of things you can get involved with like the movie nights, I thoroughly recommend them
                      I live in my own little world, but it's OK they know me here

Comment

yeah no pillion bit doesn't apply here

oh and not that I recommend it, but RE is a "full" license in that the blood alcohol limit is still .05 the only difference between an RE and an R is that you can't ride anything over 250cc (no LAMS for perth, and feel free to get a 250 2 stroke if you wanna)

Comment

Welcome to WA. You will understand three things after riding on the roads here:

1) All the drivers here are f*cking crazy and what's worse, don't know jack about road laws.
                          2) No one seems to know how to use roundabouts or merge 2 lanes together.
                          3) We have the most f*cked up people in charge of our speed limits, road and safety and traffic laws.

If you understand that, you'll be fine. Good luck with your licence and testing, and see you out on the road soon.
                          Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

The 6 month is only for NEW Roadees, pillion fine on 250 as far as i know and went about it, footpaths = bad?

Comment

Wow what a great response, thanks guys!

Now that's cleared up I just need to get my L's, apparently I need something that shows my address first so it'll have to wait until after I've found a place to stay permanently (the rental market here is insane!). Hows the Cannington and Bentley areas? and a bit further out to somewhere like Thornlie?

Anyone have any recommended bike stores for gear?

Comment

Working...
                              X