Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into bikes soon...

Hi guys/girls,

My girlfriend and I are going to get a couple of road bikes soon for this upcoming summer and start learning to ride. I currently own a Skyline and use the SAUWA forums a lot and I know how helpful they can be!

We would like some advice on riding gear, where to shop, and some good started bikes we should be looking for. Perhaps a highly recommended riding instructor also..

Someone I work with has suggested I find out what gear I want and what sizes and get the gear over from Melbourne as it could well be cheaper.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
    Ryan
    Drink all day, play all night,
    Let's get it poppin'.
    I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forums.

If you're in Perth, you'll have an enormous amount of local knowledge at your fingertips in the community here. (not me though, I'm in Tassie).

As far as bikes go, what style are you looking for? Sport, Naked, Cruiser?

Any previous riding experience?

*EDIT* Check out this thread.

As far as gear goes, at a minimum you'll want Helmets, Gloves and jackets (around 300, 70 and 300 got me a good helmet, armoured gloves and an armoured textile jacket that saved my skin a month ago).

For value, quality helmets, check out HJC and Shark, or Arai/Shoei/Nolan if you've got a bit more cash to throw around. Try on a whole bunch of them, and go for what fits best (very snugly, but with spots where it's sticking into you. When you've found something you like, wear it around for 10-15 while you're looking at other gear.

For jackets, I can only comment on my own, made by DriRider, which I'd thoroughly recommend. Get something with armour if at all possible. Leather/kevlar give you abrasion resistance, but you want armour for impact. Hopefully you'll never use it lol.

Same goes for gloves. As far as gloves go, once again, go for fit, and remember that they will break in and become a little more comfortable if they're leather, so err on the snug side.

No doubt other members will be able to put a few other suggestions forward.
    Last edited by Dragunov-21; 13-08-2009, 02:38 PM.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Hey. there are loads of sponsers on the site who give pretty cheap prices for gear. Probable drop into the causeway shops to have a look at styles and sizes.
      now go out and get a bike
      :aus-salute: Yer thats ULTIMATE :aus-salute:

Originally Posted by lobes89 View Post
      Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

hi and welcome to psb..

one of the most popular 250 people usually get would be the honda CBR250RR..but do have a go on the honda VTR250 as well..those would probably be the best learning/all round 250 imo..i'm sure many others would agree with me as well..otherwise an older model but well maintained kawasaki GPX250 or ZZR250 might be a cheaper alternative..check out the for sale section here on psb..there are heaps of bikes for you to choose from at them moment..

do check out my bike too..lol..need it gone..here's the link to it..

For Sale Tricolore Cagiva Mito 125 - Perth Street Bikes

as for gear..if you buy a bike from the dealers/bike shops they'll usually cut a nice deal for you if you buy gear at the same time from them too..might be worthwhile considering that option rather from ordering from over east..

if you're 100% sure of the sizes you want, ordering them from online stores might be the cheapest way to go..bar helmets because you'll most probably want aussie certified stickers on them..there are heaps of sponsors on psb that will give you further discounts off their normal retail prices too..

hope this helps and enjoy your time on psb!

-shui

Originally posted by HotelBushranger
        Talked to some chick today at the village that rides a GPX 250. Wasn't very friendly though, must have crabs.

Comment

Well I'm pretty keen on ending up with an R1 or 1000RR, but I'm not too sure if they'd be practical for a beginner.. plus I can't go for my test on one of those. Maybe stick to the law for now and get a 250!

My brother (recently got his bike licence) has a GPX250 which I've only had 1 ride around in 1st gear. I've been meaning to get on it again and learn but hey.. I guess I piss fart around too much!

So yeah, style of bike will be a road sports. Maybe a CBR250 or a 250 Ninja I'm liking the look of. Nothing beats a nice 1 litre with a fat tyre though! I'm just getting too jealous of all the bikes passing me down traffic on the freeway in the morning hahah

EDIT: Would I be needing to become a paid member of PSB to get discounts from sponsors?
          Let's get it poppin'.
          I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Oh hi, another fellow sauwa jumping ship welcome Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

Litrebikes - great to aim for, not to learn on. Stick to 250s for now, though if you're looking for a bit of speed, I suppose one of the 2-strokes (RGV250, RS250 etc) are your best bet. Plus if you're riding out of class, you're uninsured, which means you'll be unable to cover it if you bust someone's shit up, which isn't looked too kindly upon here.

When are you going for your license?

Just remember to start off slow - it takes a while before control inputs become second nature, and so you need to allow yourself extra space/time to process things.

If you want a bigger-looking bike, you could have a look at the Hyosung GT250R, otherwise a CBR250, ZZR250, Ninja 250R or one of the two-strokes are probably gonna be good options for you to look at.
              If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Hullo mate
                Welcome to PSB, enjoy your stay

Dubs

Comment

Just looking at the bikes for sale now has got me itchin to get on one.

I think I'll go buy myself the riding gear I need, go to some dealerships and sit on their bikes and get a feel of what I'd be comfortable with. Then go out and start looking at some fairly new 2nd hand bikes.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!
                  Let's get it poppin'.
                  I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Hey dude, seen your car around before. Do you lurk on Antilag.com?
                    Welcome to the bike scene anyhow ^_^

Comment

welcome to psb mate, just remember when u get a big bike that skyline wont be around for long
                      Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
                      Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
                      In the backroads as it is on the freeway
                      Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
                      And forgive us our lanesplitting
                      As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
                      And lead us not into gravel corners
                      But deliver us from hand-held radars
                      For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
                      Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

Yeah well I'll keep it for now as it's probably quicker than a 250 hahah

I know how a 1000RR can leave me behind though!
                        Let's get it poppin'.
                        I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by killswitch54923 View Post
                          welcome to psb mate, just remember when u get a big bike that skyline wont be around for long
                          Welcome to PSB!!!. So true about the car, mine has got cobwebs

Comment

Went and sat my theory test for the learners permit and got 15/15 without reading anything about it hahah. It's just all common sense I guess. Now to sneak a few rides on my bro's GPX250.
                            Let's get it poppin'.
                            I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Nice! >=D

Tell us how you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X