Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 discussion thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristy
    replied
    New thread to play in, here: https://forum.perthstreetbikes.com/f...hread-spoilers

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Abraham retires thereby making way for Zarco: https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93...eat-open-zarco.

Two 'retirements' while both still talking avidly of the future. Retirement must be the new term for 'existing contract not being fulfilled'. 🤔 I feel there was some encouragement from Honda for Lorenzo (and an agreement made), and reckon Abraham was pushed with no agreement as he paid for his ride anyway. I know it's a pretty cut throat world but don't know if I could knowingly push someone out to get myself a spot e.g. Lorenzo and Miller as per earlier rumours and now Zarco with Abraham.

Eh, Zarco will be there for a year (maybe), then off to WSBK or something. I think he'll struggle.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    I've read one source that said Abraham got the arse in favour of Zarco. Until I see a more official source I won't take it as golden.
    i know these guys pretty much pay for their ride but still, surely a precocious moto2 talent with some surprise performances provides more exposure than not having any coverage during a race as is currently the case.
    Last edited by Kristy; 23-11-2019, 05:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristy View Post
    Don't worry about missing the test - it's a geriatric stream - it's intermittent and keeps stopping. Anyone else having trouble?
    Back in action!
    Watching it 'canned' will be a better experience.

Leave a comment:

• p4p1
    replied
    That was before Ducati gave Avintia more support. Ducati are running 4 GP20s next year which frees up the GP19s and I think Dorna may have persuaded Ducati to give Avintia more support because I think Avintia are the only team now without some level of factory support and proper sponsorship. Carmelo really wanted Zarco to stay in MotoGP so that could’ve had something to do with Ducati giving more support as well. In the end excellent for the series and for Avintia they are getting more support from Ducati.

As much shit as I give Dorna for their Rossi bias they’ve done an incredible job considering that less than a decade ago they were struggling to have enough bikes on the grid so they had to resort to the CRTs. Now the amount of factories has doubled, more satellite riders are on full factory bikes and independent teams have greater support than ever before.

Nor only are there rumours of Ducati courting Vinales but they’re also rumoured to be courting Fabio. I doubt Ducati will take both of them but if they did Yamaha would be royally fucked.

If Zarco went back to moto2 it would be hard to imagine him getting an option outside of Aprilia.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Everything Moto GP FB page reports Zarco has signed with Avintia Ducati and could debut at Jerez test. Contracts need to be finalised (and a rider contract terminated) before an official announcement.

Both Abraham and Rabat bring in money to the team and Rabat has a 3 year contract (for some strange reason). Even if a ride is paid for, circulating at the back of the field isn't justified. I think Rabat was starting to come good last year, then he got his leg smashed by a motorbike.

Wonder if fake news? There was an article that said Zarco would prefer to go back to moto2 than ride for Avintia.
    Last edited by Kristy; 20-11-2019, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhino View Post
    JL caught everyone off guard. There weren't too many options.

Only thing I disagree with (from SD), is that getting rid of Alex won't be so simple.
    If he wants to walk of his own accord, sure.
    Don't know about if they don't want him.

Silly season next year will be interesting for sure!

PS: FARK American Express! Flagged my payment as possible fraud and I'm missing the test while they process my override.
    Yep, I agree - getting rid of Alex will be difficult . A one year contract is a lot less risky but also not a lot of time to prove yourself. If they have doubts, they either axe him, give him another 1 year contract, or the traditional 2 years. 2 years is a long time, but 1 year makes it difficult to get another rider as everyone else is on 2 year contracts. Alex isn't the next Marc - I suspect he's a bit like Tito Rabat in Moto2 - give him long enough and he'll come good, but HRC isn't a team to give someone time to hone their craft. Either way, if they do need to axe him, Marc won't be happy - and keeping Marc happy is key... so they may find themselves in a difficult position if Alex doesn't perform. I think of it a little bit like Rossi/Yamaha and painting themselves into a corner - if Rossi wants to stay on post-2020 (as he has said is possible), do they keep him on because of the $ he brings in (let's face it he won't win another championship) or say no, we're bringing Quartararo in who is a championship contender? Yamaha would never sell another bike again if they said no to Rossi. Then again there are rumours of Vinales to Ducati.

Having said that, I would have chosen Alex over Zarco.

Don't worry about missing the test - it's a geriatric stream - it's intermittent and keeps stopping. Anyone else having trouble?
    Last edited by Kristy; 20-11-2019, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• p4p1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhino View Post

Only thing I disagree with (from SD), is that getting rid of Alex won't be so simple.

PS: FARK American Express! Flagged my payment as possible fraud and I'm missing the test while they process my override.
    It really could see a crazy amount of changes. Though because we are all expecting it I’m sure that means everyone will just re-sign with their current team.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Originally posted by p4p1 View Post
    I think you're right

Leave a comment:

• p4p1
    replied
    *sorry for the long post guys. I have ADHD and can find myself getting hyperfocused at times. Works great sometimes for uni, for posting on forums sometimes not so much*

It’s funny, a lot of people were complaining back in 2012 that Marc was stepping up straight onto a Repsol Honda. Clearly he deserved it and he deserved it more than Alex did. It turned out pretty well and was the result of a shock retirement.

I don’t think HRC signing Alex is a mistake. I don’t think he’s the best rider but what a lot of people over social media are not understanding is that he is the best option out of the AVAILABLE riders. Lorenzo’s retirement has left HRC without a tonne of options. Taka hasn’t done anything, Cal for a few reasons is not an option and Zarco for the reasons SD covered is a a risk. Binder was probably the best option from moto2 but was already signed up.

This is a no lose situation for HRC, if Alex sucks they move him on next year. If he shows some promise but isn’t where he needs to be to retain the Repsol ride they can have him on a HRC contract similar to Cal’s who is retiring next year. If he against all odds and logic is great on the bike next year then they’ve found their #2. If they move him on because he is shit then Marc will understand but be thankful to Honda that they took the chance on his brother and by then he would’ve signed up for another 2 seasons anyway.

Looking at HRC’s options for 2021 gets interesting especially if factories start moving early in the season on the top riders.
    Dovi - too old and probably not a threat to Marquez anymore.
    Vinales - fast but inconsistent. Can’t seem to ride around problems etc. Ducati are probably gonna through a heap of money at him as is rumoured. Could challenge Marquez but his inconsistency makes it unlikely over a season.
    Rins - could be an interesting option probably the 2nd best option behind Quartararo. Could possibly be more consistent on a Honda or Ducati.
    Quartararo - Best option IMO. But being able to be fast on a Yamaha doesn’t mean you can ride other bikes and expect the same results. If Honda had him they would probably guarantee themselves the triple crown. If not for the mechanical in Jerez he would’ve finished 4th in the championship.
    Petrucci - Lol
    Rossi - Lol
    Miller - #3 option currently on the grid. Could be on a factory Ducati next year though. Probably guaranteed to be on a factory Ducati in 2021.
    Morbidelli - hasn’t stepped up like expected.
    Pol - unknown, has done ok on the KTM but was woeful on the Yamaha.
    Mir - probably needs a bit longer to develop but could be an option from 2021 and onwards.
    Pecco - could be interesting next year if he continues to improve.
    Oliveira - I think he has something, I would love to see him on a better bike. On the right bike he could be a top rider.

on going through the guys on the grid, I’m not sure Alex is all that bad of an option. The golden age of the 4 aliens is over, either because Marquez was head and shoulders above Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi for 4/6 seasons or because guys like Stoner, Marquez, Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner don’t come along all that often.

for the other factories my opinions for 2021 based on results this year assuming that the silly season next year starts extremely early.
    Ducati - elevate Miller to the factory ride, Dovi either to Pramac or retire. Try and steal Quartararo from Yamaha or failing that Vinales. Petrucci gone. If he stays on a Ducati it would likely be Avintia.

Yamaha - Need to do everything they can to hold onto Quartararo. Rossi’s probable retirement throws up some interesting things such as a VR46 team which could elevate Petronas to the factory sponsor and/or team. I know I have nothing other than a gut feeling to go on about Petronas but without Rossi’s sponsorship power Yamaha need a strong partnership and Petronas fit the bill. They need to try and retain Vinales but I believe their #1 priority needs to be Quartararo. If Rossi retires and Ducati were to lure Vinales, I think taking a punt in someone like Oliveira or Binder could be worthwhile assuming no one dominates moto2 ala Marc. Rins could be another good get as the Suzuki seems to have similar characteristics to the M1. If Zarco goes to moto2 and wins again it could be a final good option.

Suzuki - Vinales if he is unhappy at Yamaha could be an option. I think they have a strong young team and unless Marc calls them and asks for a ride their best option is to continue as they are IMO.

KTM - have all the guys they need. Have a clear strategy to only bring in young riders if they were to lose one of their 4 riders.

Aprilia - who knows. ATM it’s where careers go to die.

Leave a comment:

• Speed Dealer
    replied
    I thought the best move would be Nakagami at Repsol on a one year deal and Alex at LCR on the same equipment as Crutchlow...Honda has deep enough pockets to help LCR fund a second '20 bike.

Zarco getting a ride at Honda never made sense. He has the talent, but he's old, mentally fragile and gives up when it gets too hard. I highly doubt Alberto Puig has much time or sympathy for people who can't hack it.

There's only positives to signing Alex Marquez. He's the young Moto2 champ, there'll be no drama between team mates, it keeps Marc happy and loyal to Honda, keeps Repsol happy as it's a full Spanish team, and if it doesn't look like it's working, Alex is free to talk with other teams come silly season next year.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Yeah.

I honestly think HRC just blew Alex's career before it got started.
    Sure - he is the Moto2 world champion - but the stars really had to align - and had the season had one more round - Binder probably would have been wearing the crown.
    Then, he's just the Moto2 rider that came second - and isn't 'special'.

He's mentally fragile. So he's going to blow up under the pressure and inevitable criticism.
    Confidence rider on a bike that's hard to ride.

If he sticks around too long, he's going to miss the good rides that younger guys are going to get, and he'll end up being Karel Abraham's teammate.

Best of luck to him - but it's a fucking steep, uphill battle.
    Marc turned down MotoGP the first time it was offered. That showed some maturity (but he also hadn't secured the title).

I'll be tuned in to the testing this afternoon.
    Can't wait to see Binder #33

Leave a comment:

• Prefectionist
    replied
    Id have liked them to move Cal up to Repsol (even if for a year) since hes a proven race winner with the Honda, and whack little Marquez on the LCR where there is less pressure to perform and he can get familiar with the bike a bit before going factory.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Ah fuckit.

Alex Marquez confirmed in Repsol Honda team.
    IMO: Alberto really struggled to justify his decision in the interview. Shabby.

I'm calling it. Won't win a race for them before he leaves the team.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Originally posted by p4p1 View Post
    He’s worn gold helmet at Valencia whenever he has already been crowned champion IIRC did it in 2014 for sure and I think he did it in 16 and 18 in the race.
    Oh?
    I know they swapped the helmet on the day - but don't recall it re-appearing for the last race.
    I must be misremembering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X