X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MotoGP 2004 - Round 8 - Sachsenring

Gibernau sets pace

Gibernau and Rossi want to bounce back after retirements in Brazil
    Sete Gibernau was the man to beat in first qualifying for the German MotoGP at the Sachsenring.

The Spaniard, who is tied on points with Valentino Rossi at the top of the championship, took provisional pole with a one minute 23.247 seconds lap.

Nicky Hayden was a shock second, just 0.206secs adrift on his Repsol Honda, while Rossi, riding for the Gauloises Yamaha team, was 0.3secs off the pace.

Alex Barros took fourth late on, pushing Kenny Roberts Jr into fifth.

Rossi was unperturbed and said: "We worked with qualifying tyres this afternoon but only for a short time.

"I'm feeling a lot better here, all the riders are very close and pretty fast.

"Sete set a good time but we are not far behind. We made some small changes and I think tomorrow I can do even better on the qualifiers.

Camel Honda rider Max Biaggi, who has yet to win this season but is just 13 points of the championship lead after a consistent run of points finishes, was well off the pace.

He ended the one-hour session down in ninth, over half-a-second slower than Gibernau.

Jeremy McWilliams continued his recent good form on the troublesome Aprilia, taking 14th spot on Friday as he looks for a third consecutive points finish.

The Ulsterman was only a second slower than Gibernau - but his team-mate Shane Byrne was further down the field, in 20th, after failing to get within 2.5secs of provisional pole.

Britain's Neil Hodgson, the World Superbike champion, was 18th on his D'Antin Ducati, 1.8secs down on Gibernau, while Chris Burns took his Harris WCM to 24th place, 4.5secs adrift.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results for Friday's first qualifying:

1. Sete Gibernau (Spain) Honda 1:23.247
    2. Nicky Hayden (US) Honda 1:23.453
    3. Valentino Rossi (Italy) Yamaha 1:23.539
    4. Alex Barros (Brazil) Honda 1:23.625
    5. Kenny Roberts (US) Suzuki 1:23.684
    6. Marco Melandri (Italy) Yamaha 1:23.692
    7. John Hopkins (US) Suzuki 1:23.753
    8. Carlos Checa (Spain) Yamaha 1:23.831
    9. Max Biaggi (Italy) Honda 1:23.884
    10. Loris Capirossi (Italy) Ducati 1:24.061

I love it :twisted: Bring it on :!:

Comment

Biaggi on pole, Rossi second and the Suzuki of Roberts on the front row again! Bayliss in 8th.....

Stoner is out with a broken collarbone

Comment

How good was that race, Barros and Hayden were sliding all over the place. Abe and Melandri' crash was huge!

Comment

Great race , it's good to see racing where there is a pack at the front rather than 1 individual who has broken away from the group.
          also great to see the repsol hondas doing well, I think nicky haden will be winning races consistantly next season.

did anyone see where the Yamahahahahahas ended up ??

Comment

Goooooo Hooonnnndddaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

You little ripper, Honda's 1,2,3

Too bad Rossi cooked his tyres with 4 laps to go or whatever, who cares, Honda kicked ass

Comiserations to the Yamaha crew :cry:
            Quote: "What do i like about the GP?......The Crumpet I S&#39;pose" <span style="font-family:Times">The Late Barry Sheene &#39;01</span>

Comment

Great race , it's good to see racing where there is a pack at the front rather than 1 individual who has broken away from the group.
              also great to see the repsol hondas doing well, I think nicky haden will be winning races consistantly next season.

did anyone see where the Yamahahahahahas ended up ??

Yes Tex, I can help you with that.....the Yamaha you refer to can be found at number ONE in the Championship.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

deej , your only as good as your last race !!
                and you'd think with all the experience that Rossi has he'd at least be able to pick the right tyres !!

Comment

Texas, so yer telling me that Rossi is only a forth placer?

Hmmmm, maybe Ducati will keep that in mind when they try and buy him in 2006.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Texas, so yer telling me that Rossi is only a forth placer?

Hmmmm, maybe Ducati will keep that in mind when they try and buy him in 2006.
                    you give it them MR DEEJ bloody hoooonda riders :twisted:

Comment

Rossi fans stand, raise middle fingers, remind doubters of last year, the year b4, and the one b4 that, and so on...then with a smile on their face...POINT TO CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS TABLE!!! :twisted:

Oh good to see some racing though...lol

Comment

Oh I have no doubt Rossi is a god........ON A HONDA bwahahahahaha
                        Quote: "What do i like about the GP?......The Crumpet I S&#39;pose" <span style="font-family:Times">The Late Barry Sheene &#39;01</span>

Comment

don't get me wrong , I totally believe that Rossi is a god on a motorcycle........and any motorcycle at that !! and i have and always will be a fan of the guy !
                          I think it's fantastic that he's taken the challange of riding a Yamaha in Moto GP, not knocking yamaha, but they have recently been behind the 8 ball in the Moto GP development race, but it shows they are serious with their development when they outlay huge amounts of money to get Rossi on board.
                          It's also a reflection on Rossis character, he doesn't want an easy win on a Honda, he wants to stamp his authority on Moto GP by winning the championship on a technically inferior bike. I hope the guy does win the championship, if he doesn't this year then he will next year for sure!
                          bike racing in general has taken a huge turn for the better in the last year, Moto GP is now close racing with several riders capable of a win, world superbikes could be a bit better, but i think it will improve next year, and the Aust superbikes are now exciting and worth watching, as you never know who'll win !
                          All in all it will only result in better handling and faster bikes for us as they continue to develop the bikes!
                          my prediction is 200hp bikes by 2007, as a stock road bike.

Comment

my prediction is 200hp bikes by 2007, as a stock road bike.
                            On a side note to that. I read this the other day.

Why Don't We See Factory Turbocharged Motorcycles? <-- Clicky clicky

One would think that 115hp 600s and 190hp 1000s would be fast enough, but it is clear that the consumer will continue to demand more power for the forseeable future. Each of the Big Four wants the prestige and selling power that comes with having the most powerful sport bike available.

With a small, ball-bearing turbocharger system optimized for lag-free response at between 7 and 12 psi of boost, I would venture to say that 220hp/liter is not out for a street-tuned inline four. Although not many people would feel that a ZX-10 needs 50 more horsepower, how many would go for a 135hp 600?

Will a major Japanese manufacturer release a factory-turbocharged sport bike within the next 3 years? Time will tell, but considering the amount of money they must be spending on engine R and D for relatively small gains, I would say it seems likely.
                            sigpic

Comment

I would say there are three reasons why a turbo bike is not worth considering:

1) The power delivery is not smooth, it comes on with a rush and with less control than a normally aspirated engine. This formula on a race/street bike don’t mix as you know.

2) HP is not the problem. All major bike manufacturers are capable of making their normally aspirated engines produce more HP. It is getting the power to the road efficiently and without spitting the rider off that is the constant challenge.

3) They add weight.

As Tex said, a 200 hp factory street bike within the next few years is a reality. Take a look at the jump that the new Kwaka, R1 and Blade have made in just two years of development against the benchmark GSXR1000 which up until last year was the ducks nuts in the HP stakes that every manufacturer had to outdo.

It wasn’t making a bike that beat the Gixers 165hp that was the issue. It was designing a frame, tyres and dynamics that could enable the every day rider to control it.

The last 3 years of bike development have been exciting times, and the next 3 will be more so.

As the Buddhists say……. Nothing is permanent, and the only thing that is certain in life… is Change.

Comment

Working...
                              X