• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSB - Brands Hatch 29 July. Updated with results

Points Leader Toseland Ready For Brands Hatch Thriller
    Today
    From Ducati
    Brands Hatch (UK), 29 July 2004

World Superbike returns to Britain for the second time this season, this time to Brands Hatch in Kent, for its flagship event, which every year attracts well in excess of 100,000 fans. Two gutsy races at Laguna Seca, California see Ducati Fila rider James Toseland return home as championship leader once again in this see-saw season, three points ahead of his French team-mate Regis Laconi, but only 14 ahead of the fast-emerging Ten Kate Honda rider, Chris Vermeulen, winner of the last three races.

The 23-year-old Toseland from Sheffield, whose singleton win this season came at the Valencia opener, knows that the Brands Hatch race is the one to win and will be making every effort to shine in front of an expected sell-out British crowd.

"Brands Hatch is my home track and there will be a lot of pressure and a lot of expectation not only from everyone else but from myself as well. I look forward to Brands, it's always one of those weekends when you get to Sunday night with two good results and have a big deep breath and think 'thank god that's over and done with!'. My results there have been pretty good, I beat all the World Superbike boys last year, finishing third behind the wild-cards in race 2.

"The best part of the circuit is Dingle Dell. Although the new corner is not as good as the old one, it's still very exciting, while the trickiest part of the track is Surtees, before you go onto the back straight, but there isn't really one corner where I think 'I can't get round this one'. "At Brands you're close to the track, you can see a lot, there's a fantastic atmosphere, and hopefully the weather will be nice. It's just a great event, to see the bikes and the racers so close is what Brands Hatch is all about" he added.

Twenty-nine year-old Laconi, a five-time winner this year, also enjoys the challenging and undulating Brands Hatch track and will be doing his best to add to his victory total as the WSBK championship reaches moves into the final part of the season.

"The Brands Hatch race is important because I have to start to get some more good results for the championship and try to win there" declared Laconi. "I'm not really worried about the situation because we are doing a good job with the team and working very hard to see what we can do now and for the rest of the season.

"At Brands I like the right corner after the back straight, Hawthorn Bend. It's very fast, you arrive and brake there and you need a lot of courage for that corner. For me the most difficult part is the chicane, Dingle Dell. Even though it has changed a bit, it's still difficult to see exactly where to go.

"Now there are three of us fighting hard for the championship. It's very important to concentrate on the last four races but I am ready physically and mentally. I know I have to be at 100% because for sure I have to win," he concluded.

POINTS (after 7 of 11 rounds): (Riders) 1. Toseland 201; 2. Laconi 198; 3. Vermeulen 187; 4. Haga 162 ; 5. Chili 160 ; 6. McCoy 146; etc. (Manufacturers) 1. Ducati 335; 2. Honda 194; 3. Petronas 134; 4. Kawasaki 91; 5. Suzuki 72; 6. Yamaha 39.

CIRCUIT INFO: Name: Brands Hatch. Length: 4.197 km. Pole Position: Left. Corners Left/Right: 3/6. Finish Line Length: 380 m. STATISTICS (modified track): Best lap: Byrne (Ducati), 1'26.248 (2003). Lap record: Byrne (Ducati), 1'26.755 (2003). Superpole: Reynolds (Suzuki), 1'35.706 (2003). Race Distance: 2 x 25 laps/104.925 km. 2003 RESULTS: Race 1: 1. Byrne (Ducati); 2. Hodgson (Ducati); 3. Walker (Ducati). Race 2: 1. Byrne; 2. Reynolds (Suzuki); 3. Toseland (Ducati).

Lanzi (Ducati Breil) Back In Action After Two Month Break
    Brands Hatch (UK), 29 July 2004: Lorenzo Lanzi (Ducati Breil), together with the rest of the World Supersport contenders, will be shaking off the rust this weekend at the tricky Brands Hatch circuit as they head to Kent for round 7 of 10 after almost a two-month break. The last time Lanzi was in Britain was mid-June at Silverstone, where he finished just off the podium in fourth place, and this, coupled with the 22-year-old Italian's gritty determination and the Ducati 749R's development progress, indicates that another encouraging result could be on the cards this weekend.

"I am a bit rusty due to the fact that I haven't raced for six weeks, but I've been keeping myself fit and I'm ready for Brands Hatch" declared Lorenzo.

"The Brands Hatch track is not like Silverstone, that's for sure, because it's full of ups and downs and that's going to be hard for us. However we hope to be able to get a good set-up straightaway because that will help to compensate for other difficulties.

"I am currently lying sixth in the championship with 50 points and I hope to be able to remain in the top 6, both at Brands and the remaining rounds of the championship, that would be a good result for us this year. "We know that the other guys are going well but we aim to get amongst them and give them a bit of trouble, like we did at Silverstone. The 749R is improving all the time … and so am I!" he concluded.

POINTS (after 6 of 10 rounds) : (Riders) 1. Muggeridge 107; 2. VD Goorbergh 92; 3. Parkes 69; 4. Curtain 58; 5. Foret 55; 6. Lanzi 50; 7. Charpentier 48; 8. Chambon 45; etc. (Manufacturers) 1. Yamaha 122 ; 2. Honda 112 ; 3. Suzuki 73 ; 4. Ducati 63 ; 5. Kawasaki 26 ; 6. Triumph 4. STATISTICS: Best lap: Chambon (Suzuki), 1'28.468 (2003). Lap record: Chambon (Suzuki), 1'29.149 (2003). Race Distance: 23 laps/96.531 km. 2003 RESULT: 1. Chambon (Suzuki); 2. VD Goorbergh (Yamaha); 3. Charpentier (Honda).

Don't forget about the Supersport guys, Karl Muggerigde and Broc Parks and also Kevin Curtin 8) should be great racing as per usual from the Supersport riders :twisted:

Brands Hatch Beckons Honda Supersport Maestros
    Today
    From Honda Racing
    World Supersport Championship 2004 - Round 8
    Brands Hatch Race Preview
    30 July - 1 August 2004

After six free weekends, with no World Supersport races having taken place since Silverstone on 13 June 2004, the series reconvenes in England once more, at the natural amphitheatre of Brands Hatch. Most of the strong entry of supported Honda CBR600RR riders will enter the round in enviable championship positions, with the Ten Kate Honda riders Karl Muggeridge and Broc Parkes the best placed, in first and third places overall.

Muggeridge has had an outstanding run of recent form, with three wins and a second place his personal tally in the last four outings. He leads the championship with a healthy 107 points to Yamaha rider Jurgen van den Goorbergh's 92. For Parkes, with three straight podium finishes under his belt and some encouraging results from a recent Oschersleben test session alongside team-mate Muggeridge, third place is his current status, on a total of 69 points. His closest competitor Kevin Curtain is adrift by 11 points.

With six full-time WSS competitors supported by Honda in 2004, the importance of the championship should not be underestimated, and in the Klaffi team Honda has a potent force to take on the competition in this intense and ever combative class. Experienced WSS rider Sebastien Charpentier leads the Klaffi charge in seventh place in the table, but he is well supported by the 20-year-old talent of Germany's Max Neukirchner (Klaffi Honda CBR600RR) who has been an impressive inductee from the 250cc Euro championships, lying tenth overall so far.

Team Italia Megabike Honda regular riders Alessio Corradi (Team Italia Megabike Honda CBR600RR) and Denis Sacchetti will be joined by Aussie Anthony West, a major name in the MotoGP two stroke firmament, who is taking advantage of an offer to compete at Brands for the Italian-based team. The 23-year-old Australian will add extra spice to what is already a red-hot line up of talent in what is one of the toughest forms of Motorsport around.

Points leader Muggeridge has enjoyed his summer break, and is typically laid back in mood in readiness for the latest challenge. "We tested recently at Oschersleben and it all went very well; mostly chassis things for two days and then some tyre tests in the last hours. We did well against our main opposition and that's a positive going into Brands. I did some climbing in Switzerland during the break, and otherwise I've just been training to keep fit for Brands."

For Parkes the recent test session should have a far-reaching significance. "I was at the Ten Kate workshop for a few days during the break, and we had a good test as well. We haven't tested this year other than Valencia and one windy day at Assen, so it was just what we needed. Before this test even though I understood the way the team works we did not really connect together perfectly. Now I feel we do and I'm learning a lot more from them. At the last test we all worked very well together and I feel it will show. Brands isn't my favourite circuit but I have never really been there with a good bike, so I think it should be OK."

Charpentier is positive about his second run out on English tarmac this year; "I've had some good results at Brands before, so I hope to repeat them. I want to get a podium in this race and it helps there are not such big jumps in the settings of the bike when going from a track like Silverstone to Brands Hatch. I have my goals very clear in my head for this weekend, and feel under no pressure at all."

Neukirchner, who was a spectator at the Sachsenring MotoGP race, feels ready for his first taste of MotoGP action. "I haven't done so much in the break but I have trained a lot and I will be in good shape for the race itself," said Max. "Brands Hatch will be another new track for me but I like learning new tracks and have an experienced team behind me. I have heard a lot about Brands Hatch so I want to see it for myself."

Three days of WSS action culminate in the race itself at Brands on August 1, with the next round of the championship at Assen on September 5.

Comment

History And Hysteria Meet At Brands Hatch
      Today
      2004 Fim World Superbike Championship
      8th round Brands Hatch, 30 July – 1 August 2004

LARGESSE: The scale and excitement of recent World Superbike events at Brands Hatch has
      propelled the entire weekend to the status of a must-see on the British sporting calendar. Since the
      first Brands Hatch SBK races in the early nineties, the close proximity to the tens of millions
      ringing the London Metropolis and the superb natural viewing vistas of the historic circuit have
      made Brands one of the most eagerly awaited audience participation events imaginable, with
      weekend crowds often over 120,000 and an atmosphere somewhere between a football game and an
      open air music festival.

ANCIENT AND MODERN: Cyclists of a different kind from those who will descend on Brand
      Hatch this weekend were first to compete at what is now one of the world's classic racing venues,
      when in 1926 a bunch of local cyclists used the natural bowl of grassland for their time trials. In
      1947 the first ever televised motorcycle racing – a grass track event – was transmitted from Brands,
      notching another topic to its long and glorious list of unique features. After constant updates and
      recent safety changes Brands would be unrecognisable to the previous generations of racers, but the
      essential atmosphere and soul of Brands remains firmly intact.

THE RED ARMY: The previous event at Laguna Seca was hardly the most successful ever for the
      traditional class leading Ducati Fila team but nonetheless the two-rider attack of Briton James
      Toseland and Frenchman Regis Laconi still heads off the increasingly close challenge of their near
      neighbours in the points table. Some outstandingly aggressive and committed riding at Laguna from
      Toseland saw him re-take the championship lead from his team-mate, but their almost season-long
      lead was trimmed back once more, making Brands one of the least easy to predict race weekends of
      the year. Toseland has a total of 201 points, Laconi a hefty 198.

NEW RULES VINDICATED: The recent form of Chris Vermeulen on the Ten Kate tuned Honda
      CBR1000RR Fireblade have shown that the most recent revamp of the technical rules have been
      proven to offer all riders and all teams the opportunity to fight for race wins, with SBK racing now
      a true meritocracy, with equal opportunities for those talented enough to succeed. The blanket
      1000cc rule, spec Pirelli tyres and a blossoming of new or resurgent riding talent have made SBK a
      close and exciting contest week-in and week-out, with Vermeulen easily the best class rookie,
      running an all new machine for a team new to the Superbike class. Only 14 points off the lead, and
      with the last three available race wins to his credit, Vermeulen is now tipped to be in the
      championship fight all the way to the end at Magny Cours in October.

EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES: The new SBK regulations have not only allowed the top level of
      mass produced roadbikes a fair shake at the podiums and championship challenges but the privateer

Ducati 999RS customers have found the playing field more level than ever before. Hence the
      outstanding return of Noriyuki Haga (Renegade Ducati) to the SBK fold, in another all-new team in
      the championship. Haga is well versed in racing at Brands but recent track revisions may make for a
      short period of acclimatisation for the mercurial Japanese rider. Lying fourth overall, Haga has not
      had things all his own way in the Renegade Ducati team, as his rapidly developing team mate Leon
      Haslam has been asserting his authority in his first full SBK season, taking a podium finish in
      Germany - and more significantly this weekend he has already won a round of the domestic British
      Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch this year.

DOUBLE TIME: Another rider who has led the championship this season, Pierfrancesco Chili
      (PSG-1 Ducati 998RS) sits fifth in the championship race having secured a win at Misano, and most
      recently a second place at Laguna Seca. The 40-year-old elder statesman of the class is still as
      hungry as a teenager, even if he is now the most experienced SBK rider in history. He will be joined
      at Brands Hatch by Giancarlo De Matteis, drafted into the PSG-1 team to ride the 999RS Chili has
      eschewed in favour of his 999cc-engined Ducati 998.

Another Novelty For McCoy: Garry Mccoy (Xerox Scuderia Caracchi Ducati 999rs)

is one of the most experienced riders in the world but as an SBK rookie this year, he has had to get
      used to a new class and a new machine. Having won in Australia, he has experienced occasional
      dips in form, and now sits seventh in the championship.

HOME FRONT: Malaysia is the country of birth and support of the unique three cylinder
      Petronas FP-1 but with its team headquarters and team principle Carl Fogarty firmly entrenched in
      the UK, the Brands Hatch race is the second home event for the aquamarine dream team.
      The up and down form of the team and the machine has shown that it is not a straightforward thing
      to make an all-new 900cc three cylinder machine a competitive SBK package, but both local
      favourite Chris Walker and 1996 World Champion Troy Corser will be out to repeat their podium
      successes from the early season rounds.

DFX UP TO THE CHALLENGE: The DFX Ducati Sterilgarda squad of Steve Martin and Marco
      Borciani have preformed many minor miracles on their 999RS machines this year, Martin's most
      recent Superpole win being one measurable highpoint. Only Martin has turned the pre-race form
      into podium finishes, three in total so far.

FOUR SQUARE: An influx of competitive four-cylinder machines this year includes the Bertocchi
      Kawasakis of Mauro Sanchini and Ivan Clementi, MIR Suzuki's Sergio Fuertes and the Chinese
      backed Zong Shen Suzukis featuring Piergiorgio Bontempi and Warwick Nowland. They will be
      joined by Silverstone SBK success story James Ellison (Jentin Yamaha), himself a product of the
      European Superstock Championship, which runs in parallel with SBK.

SUPERSPORT SCORCHERS: Brands has always delivered noteworthy World Supersport races,
      with some of the top 2004 competitors having already secured wins in England. Karl Muggeridge
      (Ten Kate Honda) is one such rider, and this year he leads the championship after a superb run of
      three wins from Misano to Oschersleben, and a second place at the most recent round at Silverstone.
      Jurgen van den Goorbergh (Yamaha Italia) has a single win this year but in a clear second place, 15
      points behind Muggeridge, he is the most credible threat to the Aussie's most recent form.

Muggeridge's team-mate and compatriot Broc Parkes will also benefit from a recent Oschersleben
      test, while fourth placed Kevin Curtain, yet another fast Aussie, is the premier Yamaha Motor
      Germany runner. Despite some problems setting the all-new Suzuki GSX-R600 Stephane Chambon
      is the most successful WSS rider ever at Brands, and another Frenchman, Fabien Foret (Yamaha
      Italia) is a proven force at Brands, and is also the most recent race winner of all this year.

Superstock Siblings: If the Brands Hatch race delivers a repeat of the superb battles between the
      Lorenzini by Leoni Yamaha riders Lorenzo Alfonsi and Gianluca Vizziello then the Brands Hatch
      crowds will be well served. Vizziello leads the title race 115 to 99, with all five races so far won by
      either Italian rider.

Comment

World Superbike Qualifying 1 -: 8 Corser, 9 Vermeulen, 12 Martin, 18 McCoy, 20 Coxhell, 21 Nowland
        Today
        1 Chili Pierfrancesco PSG - 1 Corse Ducati 998 RS 1'27.990
        2 Nannelli Gianluca Pedercini Ducati 998 RS 1'28.246
        3 Haga Noriyuki Renegade Ducati Koji Ducati 999 RS 1'28.425
        4 Borciani Marco D.F.Xtreme Sterilgarda Ducati 999 RS 1'28.518
        5 Pedercini Lucio Pedercini Ducati 998 RS 1'28.525
        6 Laconi Régis Ducati Fila Ducati 999 F04 1'28.726
        7 Haslam Leon Renegade Ducati Koji Ducati 999 RS 1'28.734
        8 Corser Troy Foggy PETRONAS Racing Petronas FP1 1'28.795
        9 Vermeulen Chris Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR 1000RR 1'28.869
        10 Bussei Giovanni DeCecco Racing Ducati 998 RS 1'28.978
        11 Gimbert Sebastien Yamaha France Yamaha YZF R1 1'29.132
        12 Martin Steve D.F.Xtreme Sterilgarda Ducati 999 RS 1'29.175
        13 Sanchini Mauro Kawasaki Bertocchi Kawasaki ZX 10 1'29.228
        14 Walker Chris Foggy PETRONAS Racing Petronas FP1 1'29.301
        15 Toseland James Ducati Fila Ducati 999 F04 1'29.430
        16 Ellison James Jentin Racing Yamaha YZF R1 1'29.704
        17 Bontempi Piergiorgio Zongshen Suzuki GSX-R 1000 1'29.795
        18 McCoy Garry XEROX - Ducati Nortel Ducati 999 RS 1'29.849
        19 Clementi Ivan Kawasaki Bertocchi Kawasaki ZX 10 1'29.880
        20 Coxhell Craig Vitrans Honda Honda 1'30.087
        21 Nowland Warwick Zongshen Suzuki GSX-R 1000 1'30.569
        22 De Matteis Giancarlo PSG - 1 Corse Ducati 999 RS 1'30.689
        23 Velini Alessio UnionBike GiMotorsport Yamaha YZF R1 1'30.977
        24 Fuertes Sergio MIR Racing Suzuki GSX-R 1000 1'31.068
        25 Mrkyvka Jiri JM SBK Ducati 998 RS 1'31.402

Comment

Superpole Review WSB Brands Hatch - Martin Out Front
          Today
          2004 Fim World Superbike Championship Press Release
          8th round Brands Hatch, 30 July – 1st August 2004 Superpole Qualifying

POLE DANCER: DFX Ducati Rider Steve Martin, Only Ninth Fastest In Regulation Qualifying, trimmed almost a whole second off his previous best to take the Superpole win at Brands Hatch. One of the most experienced riders in the series, Martin was a smooth operator while several others slid and slithered their way home after experienced traction issues on the unexpectedly slick Brands Hatch tarmac. Martin's time of 1:27.213, was the best of the timed sessions over the weekend. CHILI WOWS FANS: Other than the local riders the most popular man on show at Brands Hatch was series veteran Pierfrancesco Chili. Cheered throughout his 4.197km Superpole lap Chili went second quickest, 0.12 seconds from Martin. Chili was as usual using his 998 Chassis and 999cc engine throughout the Brands Hatch weekend.

REGIS REDEEMS: Regis Laconi and James Toseland (Ducati Fila) experienced differing fortunes in Superpole; Laconi the fastest man in regulation qualifying now starting from the front row, in third place, after some fraught moments and a morning session crash. His team-mate Toseland almost high-sided on his Superpole lap, his 'moment' dropping him to 12th overall and a third row starting position.

RENEGADE REBELS: For the Renegade Ducati team Brands has been a tough test, the injured Leon Haslam and his team-mate Noriyuki Haga not matching the times set during a race meeting at Brands in June, due largely to the prevailing track conditions. Nonetheless Haga will start the race from the front row after setting the fourth best time in Superpole, while the brave Haslam fought his left hand injury to finish tenth overall.

CORSER FORWARD: Troy Corser (Petronas FP-1), jumped from seventh in qualifying to fifth after Superpole, and will thus head up the second row for the races. The former champion's teammate Chris Walker had a rapturous welcome from his legions of British fans, but 13th and a fourth row start were his lowly reward for his usual high level of effort.

BORCIANI MOVES ON UP: After heading the early qualifying for a time Steve Martin's teammate Marco Borciani ended his weekend's qualifying in a well placed sixth in Superpole. He also improved on his best previous lap, as did the majority of the field.

HONDA HOME BOYS: Chris Vermeulen's one man Honda assault on World Superbike this season has netted him and his Ten Kate Honda team the last three race victories but after a tough weekend of handling problems and a Superpole lap in which he experienced front end slides, Vermeulen now starts a disappointed seventh.

PRIVATE PROWESS: Gianluca Nannelli (Team Pedercini) overcame the disadvantage of having lower revving 998RS machine, against a field of more modern machinery, to take eighth place in Superpole, backing up his incredible fourth place finish after regulation qualifying. The Italian rider has shown true flair and talent all weekend, and is sure to be in with a chance of a career-best finish in the two 25-lap SBK races on Sunday.

LOCAL TALENT ON DISPLAY: Wild card rider James Ellison made a marked improvement in his position from regulation qualifying, having started Superpole in 16th place he ended his flying lap in ninth. A BSB regular, Ellison was one of the success stories of the previous SBK race in Britain this season, at Silverstone.

SUPERSPORT: In the middleweight class of Supersport a record breaking performance from Ten Kate Honda rider Karl Muggeridge put him in pole position for the sixth time in 2004 and the 13th time overall, a new record for the class. His time of 1:28.991 was the only one posted in the sub- 1'28 category. In second place Muggeridge's team-mate Broc Parkes conquered his dislike of the unique Brands Hatch layout, while another Honda rider, Sebastien Charpentier from the Klaffi squad, secured third place on the grid, only 0.004 seconds slower than Parkes. Fabien Foret put the first Yamaha into the front row, his Yamaha Italia machine just ahead of Yamaha Motor Germany rider Kevin Curtain. A close qualifying had the top eight within one second of pole.

SUPERSTOCK: In the keenly contested European Superstock class, Gianluca Vizziello (Italia Lorenzini by Leoni) took pole for the arrow grid formation, with German based Turk Kenan Sofuoglu (Yamaha Motor Germany) second, just outside the 1:29 bracket. Vizziello's main championship rival Lorenzo Alfonsi was third, ensuring the championship fight should be close as ever.

Troy Happy, Despite Second Row In WSBK
          Today
          2004 World Superbike Championship Round 8, Brands Hatch (Uk) , Saturday 31st July, Final Qualifying Circuit: 4.197kms, Weather: dry, mostly sunny 26°C

Troy ended final qualifying and Superpole with the fifth fastest time and will start tomorrow's pair of 25-lap races from the second row of the grid. He made a small error on his Superpole flying lap and that lost enough time tom drop him from the front row. But Troy's position on the sloping grid is actually quite a good one and he is relishing the thought of a good getaway and fighting with the leaders from the outset. Troy's fellow countryman Steve Martin (Ducati) surprised everybody by taking Superpole - his third of the season - after starting midway down the order. Second quickest is Frankie Chili (Ducati), with Regis Laconi (Ducati) third and Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) fourth. It wasn't a good Superpole for series leader James Toseland, who finished twelfth today and so will start from the third row.

TROY - 5th, 1:28.110 "Funnily enough, I'm happier being fifth then fourth, because the start straight is on an incline and I'd rather be on the top of the slope then the bottom. If I was fourth, I'd be on the inside and then I could get trapped going into turn one. I've being round the outside of people quite often in the first turns this season, so hopefully I can do that again and get away with the leaders. The two races are going to be hard though because my bike is just a little too slow on the straights and there's no way I can get on the throttle any earlier."

"At the moment I still haven't decided which rear tyres I am going to use. I've got two compounds to choose from so I shall have a look at the telemetry and see what Chris has been trying before I make my final decision. The new construction of the qualifying tyre I used has made a difference. Before we used to struggle to go quicker on the qualifying tyre, but now stiffer construction feels like our race tyres. It has more side grip and I can open the throttle earlier in the sections where we struggled before. I overshot Paddock Hill bend on my Superpole lap, but I'm happy to be fifth considering last year I was 12th after practice."

Final Qualifying 1 Martin (Aus-Ducati) 1:27.213, 2 Chili (I-Ducati) 1:27.398, 3 Laconi (F-Ducati) 1:27.565, 4 Haga (J-Ducati) 1:27.833, 5 TROY CORSER (AUS-PETRONAS FP1) 1:28.110, 6 Borciani (I-Ducati) 1:28.121

Comment

2004 Two Wins At A Sweltering Brands For Haga
            Today
            2004 Fim World Superbike Championship
            8th round Brands Hatch, 30 July – 1st August

Heatwaves: The ever popular Noriyuki Haga took both wins in the hot crucible of Brands Hatch, winning a straight fight in race one and an aggregate event in race two. The net result of an incredible weekend of close, crowd-pleasing action was to bring the main protagonists for championship glory impossible close to each other, with the top four riders all within eight points of each other. Race One: In an outstanding contest Noriyuki Haga (Renegade Ducati 999RS) had to fight through every single lap of the 25 to take his win, eventually holding off the last lap attentions of his constant race companion Regis Laconi (Ducati). The two-rider fight for the eventual win could have been three, had race leader Pierfrancesco Chili (Ducati) not have fallen at Surtees, leaving Superpole winner Steve Martin to take third. Fourth was the chasing Chris Vermeulen, Troy Corser fifth on the Petronas, only eight seconds down.

Race Two: A two leg affair gave the second win of the day to Haga, after his race long rival Regis Laconi crashed out on lap 16 of the restart. Pierfrancesco Chili, credited with second overall, was nonetheless the first rider across the line in the second leg, convinced he had won overall. In third place Chris Vermeulen took his lone podium of the weekend on his ten Kate Honda Points of Few: After an outstanding pair of races at Brands the World Championship lead changed hands, with Regis Laconi securing 218 points overall so far this season, despite his race two fall. Just behind, Chris Vermeulen's Honda is second on 216. Haga's double pushes him to third overall on 212, with the day's main points casualty James Toseland - seventh and a non-finisher after a crash with Troy Corser. He sits fourth overall now, on 210 points.

Improving Petronas: With Corser fifth in race one Chris Walker managed to go one better in the second race, his fourth place sending the crowd into raptures of joy, as he was the best Briton in show. Ignition mapping changes were the sole changes to the bike since the previous Laguna round, but Walker rode out of his skin to narrowly overcome local wild card rider James Ellison, who was a superb fifth, having been sixth in race one.

Private Business: In the privateer Ducati scene, Giovanni Bussei (De Cecco 998RS) was an impressive sixth on race two, after a 12th place in race one. Only 15 riders finished race two, Garry McCoy (Ducati) scoring points in the second outing for seventh. Martin could not repeat his race one success and failed to finish due to a blown engine. Top Kawasaki rider of the day was Mauro Sanchini, who took his Bertocchi ZX-10 to tenth in race two. Craig Coxhell (Honda) had a good outing away from his regular BSB duties, the Aussie scoring a brace of eight places.

Supersport: In the Supersport World Championship the race was stopped and restarted after an injurious crash suffered by Fabien Foret (Yamaha). The aggregate event was taken by serial winner Karl Muggeridge (Honda), his fourth race win in an amazing season so far. He leads the championship by a clear 24 points from third place Brands man Jurgen van den Goorbergh (Yamaha). Long time race leader Sebastien Charpentier (Honda) had to settle for second place after a strong last lap charge by Muggeridge made up the deficit he carried into the second part of the race.

Superstock: In the European Superstock championship the fourth win of the season for Gianluca Vizziello (Yamaha) gave him an extended lead in the series, 140 points to his team-mate Lorenzo Alfonsi's 119. A tough fight for second place in the 15-lap Brands race put Alfonsi narrowly ahead of German based Turkish rider Kenan Sofuoglu (Yamaha). Ilario Dionisi's Suzuki was the first non-Yamaha R1 across the line.

Comment

Podium For Jurgen, But Disaster For Fabien
              Today
              From Yamaha Racing
              Yamaha Italia World Supersport Team Newsletter
              Date: Sunday, 1st August 2004
              Circuit: Brands Hatch, m. 4.197
              Race Weather: dry, mostly sunny Temperature: air 24° track 44°
              Crowd: 98,000

Yamaha Racing Italia experienced the highs and lows of racing in the seventh round of the Supersport World Championship at Brands Hatch today. Jurgen van den Goorbergh took a superb third in a two-part race, behind Karl Muggeridge (Honda) and Sebastien Charpentier (Honda), but the cause of the stoppage was his team mate Fabien was in contention for the lead but, crashed, was run over by Parkes and Curtain and suffered a broken ankle and very badly bruised leg in the process. The incident happened on the tenth lap and the race was immediately red-flagged to allow the ambulance to get to Foret. The race was restarted as a 14-lapper, with the times from the first part added to the second to determine the aggregate winner. At the end, series leader Muggeridge stole the win by the narrowest of margins, finishing just 0.098 of a second ahead of Sebastien Charpentier. Third went to Jurgen - even though it took his mechanics to persuade him that he was on the podium instead of fourth.

Jurgen Van Den Goorbergh - 3rd
              "That was a very tight, hard race and I didn't even realise that I was third until my mechanics told me! I was just behind Fabien when he crashed and I was really lucky to be able to avoid it - it was that close. I feel very sorry for him, because he was riding really well and I think he could've won the race. In the restart, I stayed with the Hondas as best I could, but I just didn''t have enough speed to get past them. Although Muggeridge has gained some pints on me today, I still haven't given up my title challenge. I will be attacking all the way to the last lap of the last race."

Results 1 Muggeridge (AUS-Honda), 2 Charpentier (F-Honda), 3 VD GOORBERGH (NL-YAMAHA RACING ITALIA), 4 Parkes (AUS-Honda), 5 Curtain (AUS-Yamaha), 6 Corradi (I-Honda), 7 Fujiwara (J-Suzuki), 8 Chambon (F-Suzuki), 9 West (AUS-Honda), 10 Lanzi (I-Ducati), FORET (F-YAMAHA RACING ITALIA) DNF

Points: 1 Muggeridge 132, 2 VD GOORBERGH 108, 3 Parkes 82, 4 Curtain 69, 5 Charpentier 68, 6 Lanzi 56, 7 FORET 55, 8 Chambon and Fujiwara 53, 10 Corradi 44

Comment

Frankie Chill had this spectacular highside during Race One
                Right click "save target as" on the thumbnail(s) to download:

WSB_04_Brands_Hatch_Race1_Chili_Crashes_Live.mpg
                3.70Mb in MPG Format
                Live Commentary

WSB_04_Brands_Hatch_Race1_Chili_Crashes_Replay.mpg
                5.34Mb in MPG Format
                Live Commentary

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")