Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 discussion thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a smart move with Ducati reportedly sniffing around for Vinales. That could mean that Ducati won’t waste any time on tabling and offer to Quartararo though and while Quartararo hasn’t won anything yet I still think he has more upside than Vinales. Yamaha may have shot themselves in the foot by giving Rossi time to decide his future if Ducati swoop in and make him an excellent offer. There still a long season and a lot of signings to take place, anything could happen from here.

Comment

Rossi has said he will go to Petronas if required. If he rides on I think he will go to Petronas and Quart to Factory.
      It would have been very presumptive of Rossi to assume Factory Yamaha would keep him on if he wanted to stay on, and would have put Yamaha in a very difficult position so kudos for declaring publicly he would be open to a move to Petronas. Petronas has proven themselves. It is the right step up to Factory, and reward for Quart as the rising star.
      Last edited by Kristy; 29-01-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Looks official-ish - Quartararo to replace Rossi in factory team: https://au.motorsport.com/motogp/new...nales/4677941/

edit: official https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...21-2022/322667
        Last edited by Kristy; 29-01-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Yamaha aren’t playing around. They had to secure those two though.

Comment

Lorenzo back at Yamaha as a test rider.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...honda/4678293/

Comment

Probably the strongest combined team and test rider signing - and all done over about 4 days! Lin Jarvis nailed it.

Comment

So Rossi has 1 more year to decide what to do in 2021? I believe he will retire without getting his 10th title
                Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                Who died while defending his right of way;
                He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Now we just have to get MM to forget to show up for the first six races and it will be a better year.

I suspect Rossi will see how he goes early this year and make a decision. If he pulls the pin it will lead to his own team for 2021.
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                    So Rossi has 1 more year to decide what to do in 2021? I believe he will retire without getting his 10th title
                    It's been 10 years since his last one... I suspect even Rossi knows that chance has passed.
                    Rossi reckons he'll make his decision about 7 races in.
                    He did go fanging cars about recently - maybe that's his Plan B... or run his own team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy View Post

It's been 10 years since his last one... I suspect even Rossi knows that chance has passed.
                      Rossi reckons he'll make his decision about 7 races in.
                      He did go fanging cars about recently - maybe that's his Plan B... or run his own team.
                      It would be good to see him run hi sown team... Or at least show up in rally cross
                      Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                      remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                      Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                      Who died while defending his right of way;
                      He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                      But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

This might turn into a long post but silly season is in full effect now and anything could still happen.
                        There are rumours around Italy that Petronas do not what Rossi for next year. I would assume because they want to look toward the future and not to the past but I am not totally sure. Rossi coming in for a year or two would cause some changes in personal etc that they may not want. I have a belief that Rossi having his own MotoGP team has never made more sense than it would next year. I posted this on another forum, just some thoughts that I had.

Originally posted by p4p1 View Post
                        VR46 racing team stepping up to MotoGP makes more sense IMO. Not that I would bet against what you’ve said either.

I predicted based on nothing but a gut feeling that Petronas would become the factory sponsor/team for Yamaha when Rossi retires given Yamaha’s previous issue with getting sponsorship without Rossi.

Even with what’s happened I still think it’s a possibility, Yamaha having Petronas as their factory sponsor makes sense IMO. The factory team hasn’t been able to have a solid partnership with any sponsor the way Honda has had with Repsol or Ducati has had with Phillip Morris. Partnering with Petronas to that degree makes sense for both parties IMO, IIRC Monster was already signed to be the factory sponsor when the Petronas team came to be and their deal only lasts for two years. Petronas gets to be the factory sponsor and have a chance at being a world title winning sponsor/team.

So if Petronas becomes Yamahas title sponsor and Rossi decides to continue for at least one more season. Fabios crew goes with him to the factory team, as will likely happen whether Rossi continues or not, the Petronas team now has some of their staff employed on at least one side of the factory garage. Rossi takes his entire team with him to his newly formed VR46 team. Rossi wouldn’t have to buy the team spots off Petronas if they wanted to continue with only the factory team, he could do a deal with sponsorship. Either running some Petronas sponsorship on his teams bikes or Petronas being the title sponsor of his GP team and maybe even replacing sky on all of his teams bikes.

Unless Rossi has no plans to ever bring his team to MotoGP then I’m not sure that riding for Petronas when he knows he can get almost whatever he wants from Dorna and Yamaha, with two spots still being available on the grid if Petronas didn’t want to come to the party would make any sense for him. With Luca Marini being his moto2 teams most likely rider to be able to make the jump up to MotoGP the time from a marketing point of view and maybe from a personal point of view (as an older brother I could easily see him wanting to be in a team with his brother for at least a year) the time has never been better for his own team in the top class IMO. If he’s having a better 2021 than his brother he can ride on with no pressure from a team who wants to sign a promising youngster, if he can’t compete with his brother then it’s an easy decision for him to make.
                        But now that the factory Yamaha's are locked up with Vinales and Fabio and Suzuki has reportedly re-signed Rins. I actually think that silly season has got more interesting despite the two hottest properties being signed because it does have an effect on Ducati's plans and may have effected others.

Ducati:
                        Dovi will be 34 this year, I don't believe his age will greatly effect his riding but it must be clear to Ducati now that unless they make an unprecedented technological jump Dovi won't be bringing them their next title. He will be 35 next year and a few months away from his 37th birthday if they re'signed him up on a standard 2 year contract. I would think that has to be a major factor in their thinking.
                        Petrucci will be gone from the factory team by the end of next year unless he betters Dovi comfortable over the season but with the contracts being signed so early Ducati may not have time to wait for his results. I don't think Petrucci will be on a Ducati next year, Aprilia might be an unlikely possibility.
                        Miller at this stage looks to be the clear choice from within Ducati to make the step up to the factory team next year. Unless he has a terrible start to the season, I think he will be announced as Petrucci's replacement by or at Mugello.
                        Bagnaia is improving but so far hasn't shown that he is ready or has earned a factory ride yet. He is on equal machinery as the previous three so this season is very important but I think the most likely scenario is he remains at Pramac with a factory bike. I don't think Ducati are in any serious trouble of losing him. Only Honda has a factory ride to entice him away but it is unlikely he outshines Miller enough if at all for Honda to be knocking at his door.
                        Zarco is the x-factor, we don't know if he will be able to ride his Ducati or not. His inability to change his style from the Yamaha to the KTM does not bode well for that but if he does he could end up at Pramac or at the Factory Ducati replacing Dovi.
                        Miguel Oliveira might be gettable for Ducati, he was not happy that Binder got the Factory ride over him and he is IMO an excellent option for any team and may be the best of the unsigned hot prospects for next season.
                        Mir is still in play but I doubt with all they have going on Ducati are looking to bring someone who isnt Marc, Maverick or Fabio in.
                        I would think that if Dovi wants to ride on for the next two years Ducati would like to retain him somewhere if they have better options on their factory bikes.
                        May throw huge amount of money at Marc but I doubt he goes for it.

Honda:
                        Have to retain Marc. It is that simple. They will likely retain Taka as well. Cal is reportedly retiring at the end of the year so that will leave an almost factory ride. That ride could entice someone like Miller who has previously been with LCR if he hasn't been offered a contract by Ducati or Oliveira. It could also serve as a backup ride to keep Marc happy if Alex's results next year don't warrant him continuing on the factory team and/or they get a better option than Alex from somewhere.
                        I'm not sure who wants to ride a Honda at this point either, its difficult and could end careers. Marquez wants an easier bike to ride but only if it doesn't mean the bike isn't slower. He is happy to have a difficult bike as long as its as fast as possible and there is no reason why that won't change. Even with his brother on the same bike. He isn't going to give up the chance of dominating everyone so his brother can be a bit more competitive. They know they need to make their bike easier to ride and the interview on motomatters seems to indicate that from what I read on there. Honda will try and engineer the chassis better so they can have the required flex and feeling while retaining the induction holes for the engine. Whether they can do it effectively or not is the million dollar question. If Honda are able to then I expect another year of Marquez domination and it will probably extend beyond that.

Suzuki: would be likely to retain Mir alongside Rins. I still haven't read anything about a Suzuki satellite team being in the near future. If the open grid spots came down to a Rossi team or a Suzuki satellite team, everyone knows who Dorna would be in favour of. Not that they couldn't add another team to the grid, IIRC the current contract that dictates how many teams/bikes will be on the grid is up at the end of this year or 2021.

KTM:
                        Have the best young talent on the grid. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't continue with their current roster unless someone is able to poach one of their riders. If Pedrosa's test times mean anything the bike could be quite an improvement.

Aprilia:
                        Depends on what happens with Iannone. There are rumours that they will make a play for Rossi which would make sense for the factory IMO but it doesn't make much sense for Rossi so it it unlikely. Their new bike is an improvement if rider comments are anything to go on but that doesn't mean a whole lot at this stage either.

Guys coming up from Moto2:
                        Luca Marini seems most likely because of who his brother is an he is in the position to be the top VR46 rider in Moto2, which favours him if Rossi makes his move and decides to bring in his own GP team.
                        Other than him it's hard for me to say who could make the jump next year. There is definitely some great talent in moto2 this season but I don't see a rider who is a dominant favourite to win the championship this season. With the contracts being offered so early on it might not matter what happens in moto2.

Comment

Marc has said he wants the fastest bike, not the easiest bike to ride. So Honda will keep making it to Marc specs. Alex is going ok so far but reckon anyone would now think long and hard about joining Honda. When/if Marc leaves/retires, Honda is going to find themselves in a spot of bother for a few years as they de-Marc-ify the bike.
                          If i had to pick out of Rossi or Crutchlow to retire, I'd pick Crutchlow. He's already mentally checked out of the paddock IMO.

Comment

Marquez sign with Honda until the end of 2024

https://www.mcnews.com.au/hrc-renew-...e-end-of-2024/

Comment

Ballsy move by both Marc and HRC.

Comment

Working...
                              X