Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 discussion thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristy View Post
    So, MotoGP may well resume. I'm actually not that excited about it; in fact, not at all. Why? I’m not convinced holding international sporting events requiring movement of people between countries in the midst of a pandemic is particularly wise. But of course, $ are there to be made so there's that.

I'm sure people on the intertrons (not necessarily you lot [well you might]) will scream "YoU'rE nOt a ReAl gP fAn If YoU fEEl tHiS Way". No, you can still be a fan but have other priorities over and above watching bike racing (like wanting to limit people succumbing to this virus as countries attempt to get it under control). I’m not blind to the fact that economically, people are suffering and there’ll be administrative staff and the like that will benefit by MotoGP resuming (though Marquez et al. could go a year or 20 without a wage and still live like Kings) and accordingly, the economy of the host countries will see *some* benefit even though crowds will not likely be there. I know it’s not as black and white as “save all the people and fuck everything else”, there is some acceptable collateral damage but I’m just not excited by the prospect of MotoGP returning this year. *shrugs* Will I watch it? I don’t know yet. I probably will out of FOMO, but it won’t feel the same/right.
    AMA Supercross has been back for a month. Being a yank, I wondered how I'd feel about it,

I've watched every SX round, on the tele, and racing wise, dont see/feel the difference. If you read how Dorna is gonna run the events, medical/safety wise, distancing, testing and taking people's temperature, heck, you'll see it's almost overkill.

imho, bring it.

Comment

Would of been nice to see larger crowds at our own race events here. Far less risk for state championships in states where the situation is mostly under control.

Comment

So, MotoGP may well resume. I'm actually not that excited about it; in fact, not at all. Why? I’m not convinced holding international sporting events requiring movement of people between countries in the midst of a pandemic is particularly wise. But of course, $ are there to be made so there's that.

I'm sure people on the intertrons (not necessarily you lot [well you might]) will scream "YoU'rE nOt a ReAl gP fAn If YoU fEEl tHiS Way". No, you can still be a fan but have other priorities over and above watching bike racing (like wanting to limit people succumbing to this virus as countries attempt to get it under control).

I don’t know yet. I probably will out of FOMO, but it won’t feel the same/right.
        Will NOT watching it save any lives or make Covid disappear any quicker?

"Wanting to limit people succumbing" involves doing what exactly?

Does 400? people who are medically cleared to travel pose more risk than 10,000 fools protesting in Australian cities?

It will be "different" but personally, I'm excited, more than usual due to what this year has brought us so far.

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post

Does 400? people who are medically cleared to travel pose more risk than 10,000 fools protesting in Australian cities?

It will be "different" but personally, I'm excited, more than usual due to what this year has brought us so far.
          Obviously whether she, you or I for that matter watches it or not makes no difference but I'd hazard a guess there would be a shit tonne more people travelling around from country to country than 400, that would just be the immediate team members, tyre people and MGP people not counting transport workers/airlines etc And yes the dickheads protesting should have known better and if we end up with a 2nd wave it will be on their heads
          #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
          Originally posted by Phildo
          Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
          Originally posted by filbert
          i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
          Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

ermm... it's more a conflict of interest/moral dilemma rather than a "It'll cause you guys to spread COVID by there mere act of my eyes setting sights on the race through an LCD screen". It's like choosing not to watch the Melbourne Cup despite it not affecting whether it runs or not. It's a conflict of interest when you care about two things (bike racing and people being affected by COVID) and so the fact people's health could be compromised due to a non-essential activity taking place means it takes the gloss off the bike racing.

Number of people in the paddock will be 1200. You can't stop fools gathering but these aren't fools; this is an organised international activity. Limiting people succumbing? - well quite simply, the virus doesn't move by itself - it needs people to do so. Thus, people moving across the globe will move the virus. There will be rabid fans who will gather around the circuits. The countries these races will be taking place in are not anywhere near the control levels of Aus. With our our strict quarantine and the tight MotoGP calendar schedule it makes it impossible to hold the race here. Here's a thought - I'm just taking a stab here, but maybe our strict management of COVID and strict quarantine enables us to be in the position we're in so if other countries want to get a handle on it, perhaps limiting the movement of people may actually help to contain the spread...

MotoGP released this yesterday about COVID controls: https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...-points/331807.

Anyway, didn't mean to send the thread off-topic and make it about my moral dilemmas Carry on.
            Last edited by Kristy; 17-06-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I can't shake the feeling that the offer to get Pol to Honda has nothing to do with collecting trophies. It smells like a defensive move against ktm to slow development by taking their best rider after seeing a looming threat.
              But then I do love a conspiracy.

Comment

ermm... it's more a conflict of interest/moral dilemma rather than a "It'll cause you guys to spread COVID by there mere act of my eyes setting sights on the race through an LCD screen". It's like choosing not to watch the Melbourne Cup despite it not affecting whether it runs or not. It's a conflict of interest when you care about two things (bike racing and people being affected by COVID) and so the fact people's health could be compromised due to a non-essential activity taking place means it takes the gloss off the bike racing.
                Carry on.
                Fair call but....

Originally posted by wonky View Post
                I can't shake the feeling that the offer to get Pol to Honda has nothing to do with collecting trophies. It smells like a defensive move against ktm to slow development by taking their best rider after seeing a looming threat.
                But then I do love a conspiracy.
                Like they did the year before when hiring Lorenzo?

Based on merit, I would have liked to see Aleix Esp getting the Honda seat.

He seems to have beaten all/most of his team mates. (Although he has had the luxury of bike familiarity whilst at Aprilia)

Talking about Aprilia. If its a missile this year, could they make an offer to Lorenzo for 21?

Comment

Talking about Aprilia. If its a missile this year, could they make an offer to Lorenzo for 21?
                  After taking 1.5 years to get up to speed on the Ducati and not even getting close in 1 year with Honda, I honestly don't think Lorenzo would take a punt on going to a new team, nor would other teams take a punt with Lorenzo. Sure, he'a a great rider - on a bike that suits him, or he can modify over a year and a half to suit him. No one has a year and a half to wait until he gets up to speed. If that's the case he'll be turning 35 in 2022 by the time he's up to speed. Yes, both Ducati and Honda would be pigs to ride by comparison to the Yamaha and we don't know where Aprilia sits so who knows how long the transition will take but we know Lorenzo doesn't adapt his style to the bike, he adapts the bike to him. IMO, he will only ride for Yamaha or Ducati and I feel only Yamaha and Ducati would make offers. He is a bit of a fragile soul - not pulling the piss, but he is compared to the others. He is very much a confidence rider and you can see how shaken he was over his Ducati and Honda years and the impact his crash at Assen had on him in the wet thereafter. Not puling this piss because these guys put their lives on the line every time they go out there and having your confidence shaken by a crash at 200+km/hr an hour, repeatedly isn't your every day confidence shaker. Granted, some (like Marc) can just get on with it, but others take it a bit longer to regain their confidence.
                  Last edited by Kristy; 18-06-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Crutchlow is currently out of a ride as Taka has re-signed for LCR, and little Marquez is moving to LCR next year.

Comment

So I was searching around my Kodi box and came across something called the FIM CEV Moto2 European Championship race at Estoril, am I correct this is a 2nd string version of the Moto2 that is normally on TV? Can't recognise any names in it.
                      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                      Originally posted by Phildo
                      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                      Originally posted by filbert
                      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Well thats Marcs season fucked.

Comment

Hopefully just his season fucked, the injury he has incurred can have complications with the radial nerve which controls the lower arm and hand. If he's damaged that he could be out indefinitely, maybe permanently.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Hopefully he comes out of it with minimal issues. Nobody wants to (or should want to) see a rider go out due to something like this. Was a hell of a comeback up until that point though.

Comment

Woo, seems no damage to the nerve: "As well as the broken humerus, Doctors had raised the worrying possibility of 'some paralysis of the radial nerve'. Fortunately, Dr Xavier Mir and his team in collaboration with Dr Barrera reported that the radial nerve was 'untouched and did not need intervention'." https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...gery-barcelona

Comment

Thats good news. All he has to do is take it easy this year and let his arm fully heal, and think about the 2021 championship now. So who's going to end up with the title this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X