Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossi Wins and last corner move OK

Rossi Starts Title Defence With A Victory

Valentino Rossi began his MotoGP World Championship defence with a determined performance at Jerez today, snatching victory from home favourite Sete Gibernau in a dramatic final corner manoeuvre. A minute’s silence in memory of Pope John Paul II provided the calm before the storm as Rossi stalked Gibernau for virtually the entire race, making his move on the penultimate lap only to make a mistake in the final circulation and hand the lead back to the Spaniard.

It set up a breathtaking finale, with the pair exchanging places in the fast right corners which lead into the final left-hand hairpin, where they collided as Rossi forced his way up the inside. Gibernau ran it wide into the gravel but returned to the track to limp across the line in second place, benefiting from the huge gap the two riders had opened up over third-placed Marco Melandri, who completed the podium in his first MotoGP appearance for Honda.

“This was for sure a great race, especially after the problems I had in the morning,” said Rossi, who had crashed out of the warm-up and caused extensive damage to his number one Yamaha machine. “Sete rode a great race and set a very fast pace. I attacked at the end but made a mistake on the last lap and then we touched in the final corner. I’m sure Sete’s angry about it right now but racing motorcycles is hard. There are 16 races to go and it will be a hard battle.”

Melandri took third place after Nicky Hayden had crashed out with just eight laps to go, ending hopes of what looked like a certain podium for the American, the only rider to match the pace of Rossi and Gibernau throughout the race. Alex Barros clinched a distant fourth after a hard battle with Kawasaki rider Shinya Nakano and his Honda team-mate Troy Bayliss, who took a creditable sixth place on his debut for the Japanese factory.

Max Biaggi recovered from his worst ever grid position of 16th to take seventh after overcoming the challenge of Honda colleague Makoto Tamada and Yamaha’s Colin Edwards, whilst Carlos Checa fought through the pain of a recovering shoulder injury to complete the top ten at his home circuit on the Ducati.

Despite Gibernau’s misfortune in the premier-class the 127,000 crowd had plenty to cheer in the 250cc race, as reigning World Champion Dani Pedrosa and his Honda stormed to a clear victory over Aprilia’s Sebastian Porto. Randy de Puniet and Casey Stoner both crashed out of third place to leave Aprilia colleague Alex de Angelis with his third career podium in the quarter-litre class ahead of Honda debutantes Andrea Dovizioso, Hector Barberل and Andrea Dovizioso.

Marco Simoncelli proved his wet victory here last year was no fluke as he went from pole position to the top step of the podium for the second successive season in the 125cc. The Aprilia teenager rode a controlled race in a typically frenetic lead group, which saw home hope Pablo Nieto crash his Derbi just two laps from the end when challenging for second place. Nieto’s misfortune opened the way for KTM rider Mika Kallio to snatch second with a last-corner move on Fabrizio Lai, who took third on his debut for Honda.

Rossi's Move Ok According To Race Control

The incident between Yamaha's Valentino Rossi and MoviStar Honda's Sete Gibernau ruffled a few feathers at Jerez last night but Rossi won't be penalized for the last corner contact, according to the race director Paul Butler.

A four member race committee was convened and watched footage from many cameras and decided there was no case to answer. "It was a racing incident," Butler commented to the press.

The MoviStar Honda team did not lodge any protest, but many Spanish fans felt cheated and chanted Sete’s name as Rossi collected the spoils of his victory on the dias.

In the press conference a number of journalists quizzed the pair, Gibernaus reply "I will talk about anything except the last lap - because I am Spanish and therefore caliente (passionate/hot), and it is better to say nothing. Actually I am very happy, because I am pleased with everything that happened in the race that I was able to control."

Rossi commented: "I know Gibernau is angry and I am sorry for that, but it is motorbike racing. I was alongside him when we braked, and I was not out of control."

you should have been at cheers calvin great night

Comment

i think rossi is definately the best rider out there but he didnt deserve that win hey i will always be a fan of rossi but that was a dirty move.he dive bombed sete and then ran him wide.if you watched the previous laps when he run wide he easily pulled the bike in except this once yeh right!

and sete is a soft C%^k if he is going to winge about his shoulder

if you are unsure,watch the replay CLOSELY!

Comment

So Calvin, did you get from Mr Hedge or are you going into journalism yourself?

So Leroy seeming as you watched it close up, did he(Rossi) use his back break on that manoeuvre?
        1, Always look good
        2, Always know what you're doing
        3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

Originally posted by Ace@Apr 11 2005, 10:44 AM
          So Leroy seeming as you watched it close up, did he(Rossi) use his back break on that manoeuvre?
          [snapback]108015[/snapback]
          why do you ask that pretty boy
          hang on,il call him and ask for you

Comment

Suck it you loud mouth Honda poof Warp Speed

Comment

Originally posted by gohan@Apr 11 2005, 10:36 AM
              i think rossi is definately the best rider out there but he didnt deserve that win hey i will always be a fan of rossi but that was a dirty move.he dive bombed sete and then ran him wide.if you watched the previous laps when he run wide he easily pulled the bike in except this once yeh right!

and sete is a soft C%^k if he is going to winge about his shoulder

if you are unsure,watch the replay CLOSELY!
              [snapback]108014[/snapback]
              aggrees rossi shouldnt have won and used dirty tactics should of black flaged him

almost like what criville did to doohan a few years back

and then the bad blood started
              Is Dead

Comment

Originally posted by gohan@Apr 11 2005, 10:51 AM
                why do you ask that pretty boy
                [snapback]108017[/snapback]
                cos you never do ya architeuthis
                1, Always look good
                2, Always know what you're doing
                3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

Originally posted by Ace@Apr 11 2005, 02:44 AM
                  So Calvin, did you get from Mr Hedge or are you going into journalism yourself?*

[snapback]108015[/snapback]

Neither

Aus-Superbikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace@Apr 11 2005, 11:32 AM
                    cos you never do ya architeuthis
                    [snapback]108028[/snapback]

This is for the black man with the confused look on his face

----------

architeuthis

Sea serpent \Sea" ser`pent\ 1. (Zo["o]l.) Any marine snake. See Sea snake.

2. (Zo["o]l.) A large marine animal of unknown nature, often reported to have been seen at sea, but never yet captured.

Note: Many accounts of sea serpents are imaginary or fictitious; others are greatly exaggerated and distorted by incompetent observers; but a number have been given by competent and trustworthy persons, which indicate that several diverse animals have been called sea serpents. Among these are, apparently, several large snakelike fishes, as the oar fish, or ribbon fish (Regalecus), and huge conger eels. Other accounts probably refer to the giant squids (Architeuthis). Some of the best accounts seem to describe a marine saurian, like the fossil Mosasauri, which were large serpentlike creatures with paddles.

Comment

its not netball, its racing if you can do it and get away with it then its not illegal
                      Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                      "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

Originally posted by dr00@Apr 11 2005, 01:01 PM
                        if you can do it and get away with it then its not illegal
                        [snapback]108058[/snapback]
                        not having a go at ya drew...

but that is what peodophiles say...ie micheal jackson ....if he is one

NAGA JOLOKIA CHILLI
                        1,041,427 SHU
                        go on you know ya wanna try one!

Comment

Originally posted by nath@Apr 11 2005, 11:49 AM
                          architeuthis

Sea serpent \Sea" ser`pent\ 1. (Zo["o]l.) Any marine snake. See Sea snake.

Other accounts probably refer to the giant squid (Architeuthis).

[snapback]108037[/snapback]
                          Sounds about right....

Rossi deserved that win, it was a big move that he managed to pull off and it seems the race committee agrees.

Love you Leroy

Russ
                          Fat kids always win at see-saw

Comment

rubbing's racing
                            a cheeky move but a pass non the less
                            im spewin i couldnt make it to cheers, as the race progressed i was imagining the atmosphere and the chanting of you all who attended especialy during the last lap
                            and whats with our own Casey Stoner, did he crash due to mechanical issue or did he just push too hard????

Comment

Next time could we post a heading such as "race results inside" or words to that effect.

I haven&#39;t watched the race yet..... <_<

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X