Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermeulan moves to wsbk ...

This from MCN

Aussie Chris Vermeulen has signed a two-year deal to ride for Kawasaki in the 2010 World Superbike championship. As was widely expected, the current factory Suzuki rider penned his deal in Estoril today at the start of the Portuguese MotoGP clash. Vermeulen met Kawasaki boss Ichiro Yoda in Estoril last night to finalise details of his contract that will see him ride for Paul Bird in 2010 and 2011. The former World Superbike runner-up and World Supersport champion said: “It’s a really good deal and I'm excited about joining Kawasaki from the technical point of view, to race and develop the bike next year an then go out on the new bike for 2011." Asked what had convinced to sign for Kawasaki when he held talks with Tech 3 Yamaha and Pramac Ducati in MotoGP and Aprilia, Yamaha and Suzuki in World Superbikes, Vermeulen added: “WSB is going to be their main project, they are pulling out of MotoGP and they will not be running an AMA team nor a team in the Australian SBK championship - this WSB program is where all their engineers and budget will be focussed. They haven't won in WSB for a long time and they really want to win races. The financial backing and resources is very good for this project." Vermeulen is the second high profile rider to confirm a return to World Superbikes this week following confirmation that James Toseland will move to Yamaha after being dropped by the Tech 3 MotoGP squad in favour of Ben Spies. An official announcement is expected shortly.

as harsh as this is, i dont know that this was the right move. Chris Vermeulen was fast on the Ten Kate Honda, but the Fireblade was and still is a more potent motorcycle than the the Ninja. i'd love to be proved wrong, and it has been too long since we've seen a competitive Kwaka at the front of the superbike grid. should be interesting
    Originally posted by Pkunk
    It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

Yeah I think Chris in WSBK would be good for both, but moving from a struggling Suzuki too a struggling Kawasaki could be bad , However maybe since pulling out of MotoGP Kawasaki have a new rider and ready for an all out assault on WSBK?

Comment

and don't forget...they have shutdown their AMA operation...to (allegedly) concentrate their budget and personnel strengths on WSBK.

Maybe CV knows more about this than Kwakka are letting on. Maybe the 2011 10-R will be the weapon.
        Originally posted by Viper
        I'm probably fucking something up.
        FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
        Administrator

Comment

I'm really excited about this! An aussie rider on a kwaka rider from a fans point of view is going to be great to see.

Could be great for kawasaki too. They've got a talented rider to help them develop the bike.

Really looking for to this!

Comment

Originally posted by timmy View Post
            Could be great for kawasaki too. They've got a talented rider to help them develop the bike.
            that's the big thing. at least since CV was a factory rider in MotoGP, he should have a strong understanding of both bike setup and development. the big thing too will be how he gels in the new team. Rizla Suzuki is very much a British team, just like Paul Bird Motorsports, so that may play into his hands. he is pretty methodical by nature, so even if he doesnt wind up on the top of the podium, he'll probably still be doing a better job of developing the bike than both Makoto Tamada and Broc Parkes
            It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

Ausipenus; please do try to spell his name, Cris Vermeulen, the correct way.
              It does start to become a wee bit irritating.

Suzuki had given up on Cris so he has given up on them.
              Loss for MotoGP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post

Suzuki had given up on Cris so he has given up on them.
                Loss for MotoGP.
                Suzuki did need to pull their finger out. as important as everything to come out the mouth of Jeremy Burgess is, the bike is getting more and more important at the top level. the zookie can steer quite well, but it doesnt have the engine to match Ducati, Honda or Yamaha

the factory had not given either CV or Loris Capirossi what they needed to get results this year, and after two lackluster seasons, CV made the choice of leaving instead of fighting for the last ride at Suzuki (it was written about in last month's AMCN too, come to think of it)

how do you guys think Alvaro Bautista will fare on the GSVR?

Comment

Originally posted by timmy View Post
                  I'm really excited about this! An aussie rider on a kwaka rider from a fans point of view is going to be great to see.
                  They've already had one for a year - Broc Parkes!

This is career suicide for CV. There is a new ZX-10R coming out in 2011 so the current bike is going to be getting no love from Kwaka. Meanwhile the team is being run by Mr. Blame Culture himself - Paul "Birdy" Bird. The new 2011 ZX-10R is supposed to be a bit of an R1 clone with a stacked gearbox etc. built specifically with WSBK in mind so if CV can survive 2010 without getting injured or fired he might be in with a shout in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by magwitch View Post
                    The new 2011 ZX-10R is supposed to be a bit of an R1 clone with a stacked gearbox etc. built specifically with WSBK in mind so if CV can survive 2010 without getting injured or fired he might be in with a shout in 2011.
                    probably going to be big-bang too

Comment

I think you are underestimating how much of a difference a full factory team is compared to the current Kawasaki operation. Only the euro's are factory teams in WSBK, none of the japaneses teams are in house operations. The budget increase alone will go a long way in turning the zx10 into a weapon. I would not write off next year for CV just yet.
                      Can you help with foster care?
                      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                        Jamassface; please do try to spell his name, Chris Vermeulen, the correct way.

Comment

^^

Comment

Great stuff I say for WSB!!

Good for Kawasaki to, yes if they are concentrating on WSB
                            the old Green Screamer may actually have the go go to compete
                            in the hands of CV...

I wouldnt say its going backwards....

Comment

Maybe he'll have a foot in the door if/when they decide to go back into motogp.

Comment

Working...
                              X