Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truly a sad day...

Moto2 teams entry list announced | The Official MotoGP Website

no 250's next year, everything is Moto2 HRC 600cc-based. a real sad day, as hard as it was to get competitive machinery in the quarter-liter category without having to mortgage a your house a couple times (you want a factory-grade RSA from Aprilia? no problem. six figures. and you had better bring results. or something like that)

the 600's are apparently a lot cheaper to have running (around 150,000 euro will get you a bloody fast bike that should be just as competitive as the best of them. apparently), so hopefully it will help to take more of he bike out of the equation and base it more on the rider's ability
    Originally posted by Pkunk
    It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Might be some special 600cc bikes with heaps of fruit for the road coming up..

IMHO think it will be pretty good competition with hopefully
    a heap of competitors running a large range of bikes.

Comment

Rumours of a claiming rule to come in, this is where another team can buy your bike/engine cheap hence stopping teams with bigger checkbooks ruling the roost.
      DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

There was an article about claiming and the Moto2 class in the current AMCN magazine
        Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

i like the idea of keeping the costs down so that it is cheaper to reach the performance threshold from the machine, instead focusing on the ability to dial the machinery into the circuit and (more importantly) ride it. 30,000 euro for the engines from HRC, apparently (it has to be more than a glorified HRC-kitted CBR600RR engine, puleeez )
          It is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that all blondes with good bodies look 80000000000000000000000x without blonde hair

Comment

Originally posted by ducmon View Post
            Rumours of a claiming rule to come in, this is where another team can buy your bike/engine cheap hence stopping teams with bigger checkbooks ruling the roost.
            2010 is a watered down series with the single engine supplier, 2011 should be a lot more interesting with teams able to run any 2, 3, or 4 cylinder engine they want (within the rules). There is a rule allowing other teams to buy a competitor engine after a race to discourage megadollar entries.

9.4 The engine (excluding exhaust, throttle bodies and ECU) used in a race is available to be purchased
            by another competitor in the same race for a fixed price of €20,000 (Euro).
            Originally posted by The Wolf
            That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

Comment

*sniff...* :aus-salute:

tomorrow is the last day (for the foreseeable future) that we'll see the 250cc cavalry gallop down gardner straight...

Comment

Just read that Aprilia is going to be offering a limited number of RSA250s to Moto2 teams next year for FREE! Mainly to stick it up Honda for killing the class, by winning the inaugural year on a 2-stroke. Brilliant.

So there might be one more time around Phillip Island for a couple of 250GP bikes.
                Originally posted by The Wolf
                That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

Comment

I honestly don't see this as a problem. Just evolution. Same way that the 500cc 2-Smokers are no longer around. I think the 600cc class will be cool to watch.

I'm the noob you all pwn!

Comment

Originally posted by FireStorm View Post
                    I honestly don't see this as a problem. Just evolution. Same way that the 500cc 2-Smokers are no longer around. I think the 600cc class will be cool to watch.
                    motorcycle racing is cool to watch. period. its just that the 2-strokes were far meaner machines. definitely separated the men from the boys. the difference between top level riders then and what is is now is huge - three seconds separating the top ten was more of a regularity than a rarity, where now you have the whole grid covered in that time (that includes guys like Gabor Talimacsi)

in the older races tho, you'd have a lot more action going on (admittedly, having Rainey, Schwantz and Doohan on the same grid had a lot to do with that), a lot more battling between riders. there is less overtaking nowadays, especially at the front. before the new blood came in, Rossi would have to have a bad day before he was challenged by any of the guys fighting over second place. with the new blood in, there is still a lack of overtaking and fighting between riders. the guys who takes the checkered flag has likely lead for the last 20 laps (as in the case of philip island). on a positive note, there have been more action this year than in the 990 era, but that is probably because of the 250 kids graduating to the top class and having the abilities to match it up with Rossi

Comment

^^^^
                      Rose glasses maybe??
                      Perhaps I'm too young, but all I remember is watching Wayne Rainy ride off into the distance with Schwantz occasionally getting the better of him. When those two retired, it was a case of Doohan murdering the rest of the field. I don't remember a whole lot of overtaking. (Lots more crashing though!)
                      Can you help with foster care?
                      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Explosion
                        ^^^^
                        Rose glasses maybe??
                        Perhaps I'm too young, but all I remember is watching Wayne Rainy ride off into the distance with Schwantz occasionally getting the better of him. When those two retired, it was a case of Doohan murdering the rest of the field. I don't remember a whole lot of overtaking. (Lots more crashing though!)
                        those three had a lot to do with the excitement. when Wayne Rainey had his accident, Kevin Schwantz lost his drive to race (i remember in an interview, KS said that if he got fifth and WR got sixth, it was as good as being on the top step of the podium). yeah, and once those two left, Michael Doohan absolutely wasted the entire grid, and the rest were fighting for second place. and yes, the crashes were spectacular

Comment

Working...
                        X