Track tyre life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track tyre life

I'm just in the middle of prepping the bike for Trakdayz this weekend, and I'm concerned about the tyres. My main concern is that they've already done 2 track days, the rears have lost all tread and there is a strange colouration over the surface of the tyre (the rainbow colours you see when oil floats on water). From what I've read on the forum a tyre typically lasts 2-3 track days, but I'm concerned about the colouration especially..

I'm only lapping 73's so not exactly shredding the tyres, but I'm just not sure how long they can last. The tyres are Metzeller Racetec's. How many track days do the average set last round Barbs for an average rider?

Hope to see a few of you on Saturday, I'll be on the red CBR600rr with the rainbow coloured tyres! ^_^
    Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
    Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

The rainbow effect is just the weather affecting the tyres, it happens pretty quick if you leave the bike out in the elements. It'll scrub off after a lap or two. How much tread is left on the tyres? if it's with in a couple of mm of the wear limiters on the right hand side i'd think about putting a new one on, did one trackday on a worn out rear and it slid all over the place, wasn't fun.
    Giggity.

Comment

If the tread is worn to or past the wear markers, it's unlikely your bike will pass scrutineering.

Comment

Wear indicators seem fine although they are only in the centre of the tyre and I can't see a way of checking the edge.

It's probably just pre-trakdayz nervousness. Glad the discolouration is nothing to worry about though. :-)
        Ryan

Comment

How old are the tyres? At 73 seconds the tread should last more than 2 days if your pressures and suspension is set half decently...
          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Not necessarily. If your corner speeds are slow, and then you gas it hard, you get very bad tyre wear. Generally the faster you go, the smoother you are, and the less tyre wear.

The race-tecs still have wear markers on the outer limits of the tyres. If you can't see them on the right side, you need to get another set.
            Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Hmm, true there tim... More concentrated wear, I guess.
              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
                I'm concerned about the tyres. My main concern is that they've already done 2 track days, there is a strange colouration over the surface of the tyre (the rainbow colours you see when oil floats on water). I'm concerned about the colouration especially..

I'm only lapping 73's Hope to see a few of you on Saturday, I'll be on the red CBR600rr with the rainbow coloured tyres! ^_^
                hmmm, seems we got the same prob! Ive done 2 days, but as #132 said, my cornering was poo! Only Diff, these are slicks and I only bought them, coz they were brand new and cheaper than normal tyres.................
                On the other two bikes, the tyres looked sweeeeeeet....after racecraft/track time
                Hopefully Ill be there sunday with the same rainbow tyres....

Comment

Some say it is the release compound bleeding through, some say heat cycling!

Over pressure can cause blueing as well, tyres experience a lot of torsional cornering forces during a track day, way more than general road use (ie causing rapid heat build up and then cooling) this is why tyre warmers even on your street tyres are worth using.

Also could be part of a (too hard) suspension set up! Be meticulous with tyre pressures and be aware and understand where your suspension setting's are at. Any tyre could be a pile of crap with a shitty suspension set up!

Comment

Post a photo of your tyre.

Blueing of a tyre is nothing to worry about.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

if in doubt swap it out.

Sure it seems a waste and tyres are expensive, but so are fairings, repairs, time off work etc
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Another consideration is its going to be another hot day at the track and i found the Racetecs to spin up easier going through Skyline and coming out of the Basin

Comment

Four to five uses for a front and three to four for a rear ... and thats flipping them to even the wear. It's hard to improve your laptimes if you go too long on old tyres. As others have said a tyre is cheaper than a crashed bike and broken body.
                          I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                          2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
                            the rears have lost all tread
                            If I'm scrutineering, they won't pass, so if you want a ride, better put a new one on. Not much fun getting all prepared only to be turned away at the last minute.
                            [SIGPIC]Accredited Motorcycling Australia Road Racing Coach Level1 TRAKDAYZ

Comment

In the end took the sensible route and swapped the rear for a spare that's only done half an afternoon round barbs. As for pressures I'm gonna run 30/30 cold for the first session and take it from there. Not sure how much of an effect the hot weather's going to have.

Given it's a track-only bike for the time being, is it worth going full slicks for my next set? Like I said I'm not exactly the fastest thing out there, but decent road tyres are effing expensive, especially if they only last 2 sessions!

Thanks for the input all
                              Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X