SC1 Tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC1 Tire wear

After the tuning session on sunday I have a bit of a strange wear pattern on the front tire, right hand side.

The wear seems to continue all the way around and the tear can be up to a millimetre deep. I run warmers and 28psi cold.

Has anyone had this particular type of wear before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010116_small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	4925578

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010118_small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	4925579
    DERP

looks to be rubber you've picked up, not tearing

but i'm no expert
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

You get the same wear I do, cos we're lapping at a slower pace we can get on the gas harder than the quick guys it heats the surface up more but not the whole carcass so the surface melts and cools and you get balls of rubber all over it. Well that's my understanding of it anyway.

Happens more on the right cos there's more right hand turns.

Comment

.. def not right.

When I use SC1's on the front I run 28-30PSI hot depending on track factors, & it works for me (63-64sec/lap). Your pace & technique will determine temp off the track. Suspension settings will also contribute a lot to wear patterns.

Check the pressure hot, just off track (not 10 mins after, straight away), see how it compares.

PM Marty Moose & get him to setup your suspension to suit you, he'll also advise on track pressures, etc. He used to race the same bike so knows them well.

Small amount of shekels for a great result, better bike to ride & cheaper to run as it's not chewing tyres.
        .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead View Post
          .. def not right.

When I use SC1's on the front I run 28-30PSI hot depending on track factors, & it works for me (63-64sec/lap). Your pace & technique will determine temp off the track. Suspension settings will also contribute a lot to wear patterns.

Check the pressure hot, just off track (not 10 mins after, straight away), see how it compares.

PM Marty Moose & get him to setup your suspension to suit you, he'll also advise on track pressures, etc. He used to race the same bike so knows them well.

Small amount of shekels for a great result, better bike to ride & cheaper to run as it's not chewing tyres.
          I'd agree with smeggy. Check your set up and maybe lower pressures too. You're using a lot more rear than my bike does, 08 R6 @ 70-72 sec laps (not timed though just guesstimating)

I'll see if I an find a pic of mine.

Comment

Balls of rubber tends to be rubber off the track not the tyre of the bike this can happen due to being off the racing line

I'm not sure it happens on acceleration tho cox that transfers weight to the rear of the bike

Check your pressures immediately after a session I have seen increases from between 2 psi- 8-10psi from cold could find it's a pressure problem

Since your running warmers the carcass should be heated already I know that I can feel the difference from cold tyre to warm by the first corner(maybe check they are warming correctly around 80c for dry and 40c for wets I think us the usual go...

What times are you running??

Comment

I also run mine at around 30 hot

I'm doin 63-64 all day too now

Comment

28psi cold is not enough for an SC1. Try around 31-32psi cold. Have you adjusted your suspension at all? Or are you just going of what somebody tells you is the right thing? The tear I assume you are talking about on the pic, looks like a cold tear, not rubber picked up from the track. Are you pushing the front, when you're cornering? I haven't seen this as bad on a front tyre, but regularly on the rear. How does your rear look? Normally, tyre pressures go up by about 4psi from cold to hot. I have never seen 10psi on a race tyre...
                SP RACINGis supported by:
                MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

What is the manufacture date on the tyres?

Are these the Diablo Supercorsa tyres, or the previous model Pirelli Supercorsa's?
                  Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

If I had to guess, I would say too high a pressure. It's not allowing the tyre to flex enough and create contact patch and heat so a small area of undertemp surface rubber is doing all the work, and so tears up.

You need to check your pressure off the warmers and off the track. A lazer temperature guage might be useful too to check the temp of the tyre off the track.

Comment

From what I know about the conditions:

Suspension was setup by MM - however it has been refined a bit more since for track use
                      Lap times are 64 sec (ish)
                      Diablo Supercorsa's

Comment

I've watched some of Dave Moss's videos. He seems to have good knowledge on suspension and tyre wear. Check out the website.

Feel The Track! Tire unusual markings and wear patterns
                        I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                        2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                          I've watched some of Dave Moss's videos. He seems to have good knowledge on suspension and tyre wear. Check out the website.

Feel The Track! Tire unusual markings and wear patterns
                          Cool link, cheers.

Comment

I've got an old Fast Bikes mag with a tyre wear section,

Is it an old tyre?

the closest pic to that says " the tyre has been through too many heat cycles and is goosed
                            the outside of the tyre has become brittle , which is why its ripped up , rather than grained."

Comment

Seems pretty strange that the tear is into the really sticky compound, where you can see the colour change. You didn't have any probs with your last set, and this set saw you go better straight up. Has the element on the rhs of your warmer packed it in?

Comment

Working...
                              X