Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of tyres?

Hi Guys,
    I just acquired a Honda CBR 600RR track bike, it has Pirelli tyres on at the moment and came with an additional set of wets.
    Where is the best place to get tyres and what tyres do people suggest for the track days? I want to be racing next year, but for this year it will be practice... I have a set of digital tyre warmers which I am thinking will be ok with these pirelli's. If anyone can offer any advice I would be very appreciative as I am very new to this type of riding and previously only ran my road bike on the track with the standard road tyres.

Thanks in advance

Tara

Most of us these days are running Pirelli at the track, SC1 front compound (soft) and an SC2 rear, as it warms up, change the rear to an SC1. There are a few shops that have a deal with Pirelli and sell the race tyres for a pretty good price, highway Yamaha in midland is one, that's the one I use because its closest, but I am sure there will be one a bit closer to you. There is a list of the shops on here somewhere, one of us will link it later when we find it. They are also available on race days at the track, with a fitting service. Come up to the track on 27 Oct for the last state round, talk to a few riders and the Pirelli guys

Comment

Keep an eye on this thread as local racers sell their take offs -
      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-trade-151792/

Comment

Pirelli is a very good choice, if for no other reason than most people use them, and it's going to be the easiest tyre to get advice on at the track.

a very cruicial thing with these type of tires is to avoid heat cycles. take the warmers off as late as possible before hitting the track, get the warmers back on as soon as you get back into the pits. (seriously: in the pit, rear stand, gloves off, front stand, warmers on, helmet off, unzip leathers, was my routine)

at some point in the lap times, you will need an SC1 rear as well as an SC2 (well, not need, but its better)
        the 'new' generation of these Pirellis is a lot more flexible than previous, and you do not need to be scared of the soft rubber.

look at about 33 front, 25 rear (on the warmers) as a starting points for your pressures.
        that rear will probably go down as you get faster.

hope that helps some.
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.
          Muchly appreciated. I was hoping the pirelli's that were on it were going to be ok. They still have a fair bit of rubber on them so are probably good for a few runs on the track. Thanks 96 for the pressure advice I was never sure what to run my street bike tyres on the track at either. I will give your routine a go, as I am guessing it will take a few tries to get the warmers on and get them right. I have a spare rim, so could probably run an SC1 on one rim and an SC2 on the other rim. Will the front always be better as an SC1 only? or is this all you can get?
          Thanks
          Tara

Comment

there are certainly other options, though to use one in WA, at Barbagallo, in the length sessions we have would be odd.

you don't have to follow My routine to the Nth degree, its just how I done it. 99% of people will take their helmet and such off first.

ps, be talkative with those around you, it will probably mean they put your rear stand on for you when you get back in the pits, which is much easier than doing it yourself. just remember to repay the favour to those around you too
            The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by tjmitchell View Post
              Thanks for your help guys.
              Muchly appreciated. I was hoping the pirelli's that were on it were going to be ok. They still have a fair bit of rubber on them so are probably good for a few runs on the track. Thanks 96 for the pressure advice I was never sure what to run my street bike tyres on the track at either. I will give your routine a go, as I am guessing it will take a few tries to get the warmers on and get them right. I have a spare rim, so could probably run an SC1 on one rim and an SC2 on the other rim. Will the front always be better as an SC1 only? or is this all you can get?
              Thanks
              Tara
              The SC1 front is very common at the track, but SC2's are available. If i were you I wouldn't worry about the compounds just yet as you should get used to the bike first. Just get out there and see how it feels first up

edit - beaten, and what 96 said.
              DERP

Comment

Originally posted by Catch [URL=http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=22
                #22[/URL]2942461]The SC1 front is very common at the track, but SC2's are available. If i were you I wouldn't worry about the compounds just yet as you should get used to the bike first. Just get out there and see how it feels first up

edit - beaten, and what 96 said.
                Too true.... Will be good fun to get it on the track... am busting - the first track day I can get to is the 2nd of November.
                Yep I agree 96, I generally do chat to everyone, they help me and I try to help them... Lol don't know how much help I actually am yet though...

Comment

Working...
                X