E85 Fuel Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E85 Fuel Tuning

What sort of performance gains could be had by tuning a racebike to the new GCR compliant and readily available pump fuel?
    DERP

E85 is legal now?

First problems, your fuel lines and seals. are they suitable?

As far as gains, E85 has less energy per volume than regular fuels. However, it requires less oxygen per volume than regular fuel to combust.
    it just so happens that the ratio is in favour of E85, in that you can pump enough of it in to offset its lower energy density. By this logic, the more air an engine uses, the more gains there are to be had.

E85 is also around about 110-115RON from what I have heard, which means lots of advance on your ignition timing, a slower, more controlled burn, and typically, more power. kind of odd, but I don't think E85 will ping if you advance the ignition too far, the power just drops away, so it does require someone who has a clue to tune it.

I'm sure there is a lot more going on, than that, but its some basics.

get on some turbo car forums. boosted cars love this stuff, and there is a wealth of knowledge.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

ok, i may have missed the GCR 15.5.0.1.b. Ive had a look at those forums but there isn't a lot on high revving engines.

what about the new 100Ron then? reason i ask is a thinner head gasket, race ecu etc is on its way, and seeing as i have to tune it again anyway it may as well take advantage of the best fuel available.
      DERP

Comment

You will also need to run a different AFR.

Comment

What is 15 5 0 1 B?

P100 is 98 with 'up to 10%' ethanol. The gains would be minimal. Maybe get more from the Ron rating than the ethanol itself. You do need to be aware of your lines and seals though (most cars are fine on a 10% mix, even if not compatible with E85)

The problem with this (and to a greater extent in the E85) is consistency. The fuels to vary with regards to ethanol content. It could negate any gains.
          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
            What is 15 5 0 1 B?
            not over 100 RON.

Looks like BP 98 is still the best bet then.
            DERP

Comment

p100 is a good option as it has 3.6% oxygen available chemically.
              Yes you run more fuel but you will be able to run a harder tune.

Comment

Gains can be easily had with E85 but requires about 1.5x the volume of fuel for similar power. You can advance the timing a lot more than on 98. It burns a lot cooler as well so you have less overheating. I have seen 600+hp turbo cars drop in temperature after being belted running E100.

The fuel lines saga is a bit of a myth in some ways. It was gospel early on to have absolutely no rubber in your fuel system as it would turn brittle and perish. There are plenty of cars running E85 with rubber fuel systems, the bigger problem is that the factory fuel lines normally are not able to handle the extra flow rates necessary for E85 and need to be upgraded to bigger Braided or Teflon lines. Fuel pumps also need to be upgraded for the same reasons.

Comment

Working...
                X