WA’s Version of Victoria’s Broadford Motorcycle Sports Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA’s Version of Victoria’s Broadford Motorcycle Sports Facility

I met with MWA recently to discuss their progress towards developing our own road racing circuit.

MWA are investigating several sites within about 100km of Perth to construct our own version of Victoria’s Broadford. I don’t know the locations of these sites but they all have potential and will hopefully be within an hour’s drive.

The key focal point will be a safe road racing circuit designed specifically for motorcycles to appropriate FIM standards between 2.6km and 3.0km long and 12m wide. It will be designed to be used in both directions and with link sections to offer many different layouts.

The facility will also have a motocross circuit, trails and maybe other disciplines of motorcycle sport such as enduro and motard.

It’s the only way we motorcycle sportsmen can be protected as we’d control our own facility. We won’t be subjected to concrete barriers, ripple strips and the like being constructed with no consultation or consideration for our safety. The statistics are we kill some poor soul at Barbagallo about every 3 to 5 years by sending them into a barrier. It must stop.

I’ve spoken with MWA about one method Broadford used and still uses to this day to raise funds. They issue numbered Medallions. If MWA do the same, the medallion will give the holder lifetime free entry to any MWA event as a spectator at any of the circuits on the complex and lifetime free practice sessions at any of the circuits (road race, trials, motocross) when they’re available. So any time the circuit isn’t being used for an event you can turn up and flash your medallion and off you go. This will include your motorcycle and possibly your car. If it's affordable the plan is to have the circuit pavement designed for cars as well to maximise potential users.

So the question is … How many would be prepared to pay $5,000 for an individually numbered Medallion that gives you certain benefits and privileges to help get our own motorcycle sports complex off the ground? 200 Medallions at $5k is a million dollars.

MWA have given me approval to canvass interest in this concept on this forum.

Please cast your vote in the poll and comment in the thread if you wish.
    I would buy a Medallion for $5k (or someone would buy for me)
    89.86%
    I know someone who would buy a Medallion for $5k
    10.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Scott52; 16-10-2013, 09:24 PM.
    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Yep keen - I will always be riding bikes of some form or another for the rest of my life, it would be a good investment IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
      Yep keen - I will always be riding bikes of some form or another for the rest of my life, it would be a good investment IMO.
      Same here. Looks like you and I are the only voters so far. When I get too old for the bikes I can give my car a good thrashing.

Comment

In.
        Although... make it +3.5km and a few left-handers, please

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

I am getting more keen now that I have a half decent Trackie but I am 54 in 6 weeks time so we best hurry up.

Comment

Would buy one for myself straight away,
            Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresmybadger View Post
              Would buy one for myself straight away,

Well done ... this is like Telethon. Lets see if we can raise more than a million in 30 days ... that's about 7 medallions per day.

Comment

I would be keen, BUT the new circuit must also allow for Supermoto, or I'll be expecting a full refund

The land next to Anketell drag strip was previously set aside for a full dedicated motorsport complex. They should reopen this option, and people can bear in mind that any new motorsport will be quieter than the drag racing. This would also open up a new haven of light industrial in the area to support the needs of competitors.
                Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                . .

Comment

Has any thought been put into cost and timeframe yet?

Comment

should of added are they only going to sell 200 medallions and that's it, or would they sell more just for cash flow later if they needed it, you wouldn't want to buy one to find out later they are selling more making it harder to get any time on the track?

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                    Well done ... this is like Telethon. Lets see if we can raise more than a million in 30 days ... that's about 7 medallions per day.
                    Stewie: Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady7/8 View Post
                      I would be keen, BUT the new circuit must also allow for Supermoto, or I'll be expecting a full refund

The land next to Anketell drag strip was previously set aside for a full dedicated motorsport complex. They should reopen this option, and people can bear in mind that any new motorsport will be quieter than the drag racing. This would also open up a new haven of light industrial in the area to support the needs of competitors.
                      Unfortunately that area is not large enough for a decent (3+km) track, let alone adding a MX track, trials, enduro etc. I am thinking its should be about 1-1.5hrs out of town if possible.

Comment

I would definately buy one. My only concern would be somewhere down the track the goal posts would be moved and we would be given less access.
                        Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

I'll take 4 thanks

Comment

I think you would have no worries getting 200 people.
                            Id definitely buy one id do whatever I had to.

Comment

Definitely in! Where did you say I can sign up?

Comment

Working...
                              X