Getting started at the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started at the track

Hi Im just wondering if this would appeal to anybody.

Ive just started getting to the track and really enjoying it.

However for myself when I started I found it daunting.

I've been fortunate that I've been to the track with friends who have a good deal of track experience and even when I am going solo they still come watch, support, take photos, offer advice and generally keep me right and make it a great day.

What I propose is a buddy system where someone going to the track for the first time hangs out with someone who has been there knows the little tricks etc.

For people who are not outgoing, shy I think this would really benefit. I see a lot of people there who are already nervous and then worrying about fuel, tools, bike setup, etc.

I myself ride to the track and therefore take limited equipment. But my friends who come trailer there bikes and always have spares. I myself always take enough fuel to be able to offer anyone 5-10ltrs to put there mind at rest. spare tape and basic tools.

Being your first time at the track people are nervous, forgetful.

Myself like a lot of people just find a little reassurance that your taking the right line, your tyres are ok, pressures are ok, theres some spare fuel if ya need it, a bit of tape in there etc. Just makes it a whole lot better.

With the trend of squids and go pro heroes out there I think this could be one way to curve the behaviour and educate more people the hazards and how to control a bike.

This could lead to the point where the night before the track day you could meet up with your track buddy and have a good once over the bike making sure everything was right, check off what you need to take.

I am now comfortable to go to the track on my own and enjoy it but if ever anybody wanted help shout out.

This is only an idea.

Let me guess - you have been doing a lot of champions days??

If you are doing the 'ride days' or 'trackdayz' events you should always have the coaches around to help you, they are keeping an eye on most of the field, but if you approach them and want some advice or feedback they are there for exactly that reason. I do volunteer with both of these groups and usually provide this service for several people each day, I also have a camera on my bike so you can see exactly what I am referring to after each session.

I would be wary of advice being given at the lower levels by the other people in the groups, it can be useful, but at the same time it could be incorrect due to lack of skill or things they have heard getting lost in translation.

Comment

hi mate,

I've done a MCRC day and a champions,

I should clarify Lines riding style would not be best to ask as you stated.

I more mean someone that can help you out on the day as fuel, tools, pointing you in the direction of who to see.

The coaches where brilliant on my MCRC day but the group was large and feedback was limited due to the number of people they had to watch.

I think just having someone there that you can pit with or talk to would be a help. Although everyone at the track is friendly and helpful not everyone is outgoing.

Comment

I think he is more refering to all the other little things. Getting your bike ready, knowing where to go, when to go, how much fuel to take, what to do on your bike once you get to the track and so on...not so much the riding itself...
        SP RACINGis supported by:
        MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
        Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
        Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Thanks Steve yourve hit the nail on the head.

Comment

I think it is a good idea Rohan.
            Anyone after this sort of help is more than welcome to PM me and I will help where I can.
            Including Drag Racing.
            RR VRT #100
            Sponsors Wanted.
            Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
            A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing and even been thinking about a 'Trackday Setup for Hire' type deal. The biggest thing I found when I first went to the track is I had nothing and it would cost too much to buy all at once. I'm talking basic things like Trailermate, ramp, jerry cans, a trailer, straps, small tool box and at a stretch stands & warmers. I now have all this (except trailer) but it took a little while before I got it all together and had everything I needed to go enjoy a day at the track..

Comment

[MENTION=16344]Manyak[/MENTION]
                i like your idea, it can be a pretty expensive setup once you have all the bits.

Comment

Thanks

It's been on my mind a while and if i had the room at home I would have already set it up. Basically a trailer with all the bits for $70 per day (ie 8pm-9pm).. Would make the track a lot more accessible/comfortable for new people.

Comment

Hmm I have most of the spare gear to do it.... except the trailer...

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                      Let me guess - you have been doing a lot of champions days??

If you are doing the 'ride days' or 'trackdayz' events you should always have the coaches around to help you, they are keeping an eye on most of the field, but if you approach them and want some advice or feedback they are there for exactly that reason. I do volunteer with both of these groups and usually provide this service for several people each day, I also have a camera on my bike so you can see exactly what I am referring to after each session.

I would be wary of advice being given at the lower levels by the other people in the groups, it can be useful, but at the same time it could be incorrect due to lack of skill or things they have heard getting lost in translation.
                      This is not a criticism of Champion days but if you are new to the track I agree, go with the Ride Days or Trackdayz as you need a coach with you and helping as much as possible when you first start out, and too many on the track can get dangerous if some don't know where to ride or pass. The coaches do a fantastic job and the idea is to learn by avoiding mistakes, not making them.
                      Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

Champions days are a great way of practicing what you have learnt in ridedays or trakdayz, personally I wouldn't recommend anyone do a champions day until they have done one of the others though.

Comment

I was at the track yesterday
                          there was a few things that stood out and not in a good way.
                          4 to be exact, Dangerous IMO.

One resulted in people getting hurt.
                          For obvious reasons I wont get into specifics , I do not want to get shot down by 2001 people here.
                          But if your new at the track
                          KEEP WELL AWAY FROM CHAMPIONS
                          its definitely good for people whom just want track time and already have some clue

After yesterday , I will not be doing a champions .
                          REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                          (anarchy in english )

Comment

Agree completely [MENTION=8900]shan[/MENTION], I did one, never again.

Comment

You get what you pay for I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X