Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crash @ Champion Track Day 7th Nov 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crash @ Champion Track Day 7th Nov 2013

    Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff at Champion Track Days.

    I low sided and then got cleaned up by another rider doing 120kmph +, which resulted in some pretty nasty injuries.

    The staff's professionalism and care made feel calm in a pretty serious situation.

    So Thank you

    Dan


  • #2
    Oh NO

    I hope you don't hurt for too long!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
      Oh NO

      I hope you don't hurt for too long!!
      Thanks Stoney.

      Broke my leg in three places and a heap of other bruises and scratches.. Bike and all my gear was a writeoff as well. Expensive day out..
      Main thing is I'm still alive, cause it could of been a lot worse..
      A few months laying on my couch and then time for another bike.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get better quickly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by marras View Post
          Sorry to hear that mate, hope you get better quickly.
          Thanks mate

          Comment


          • #6
            Heal quick mate and get back on two wheels as soon as you can, sounds like it was a day not to remember. Also really good to hear something positive about the way Champions handled the situation...

            Was it the R1?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spina View Post
              Heal quick mate and get back on two wheels as soon as you can, sounds like it was a day not to remember. Also really good to hear something positive about the way Champions handled the situation...

              Was it the R1?
              Thanks for your kind words mate. Hopefully I'll be walking by Christmas, fingers crossed.

              Yeah, it was the R1. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. The engine and gearbox should be ok. I'll think of some other project.

              Were you there on the day? The rider that collected me got taken away in an ambulance as well. Hope he's ok! Anyone know him ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Glad you are recovering, it was a pretty serious crash and everyone at the track was worried about you at the time, and since. Heal fast.
                Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dabs1978 View Post
                  Thanks for your kind words mate. Hopefully I'll be walking by Christmas, fingers crossed.

                  Yeah, it was the R1. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. The engine and gearbox should be ok. I'll think of some other project.

                  Were you there on the day? The rider that collected me got taken away in an ambulance as well. Hope he's ok! Anyone know him ?
                  No I wasn't there but I did hear about it and its great to hear a positive mentality in your recovery process . I was just waitng for the comments that the track was overcrowded and riders were in the wrong groups. Did this occur in your opinion?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wahoo View Post
                    Glad you are recovering, it was a pretty serious crash and everyone at the track was worried about you at the time, and since. Heal fast.
                    Thanks mate. I did hold up the track for quite some time and I did hear that there was a general concern for my well being. It was nice to hear. I'll be back out there sooner rather than later :-).
                    It would be great to see some footage of the crash, but no go pros allowed on champion days..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Glad your alive mate , Dam the bike got written off,
                      I looked at your bike on the crash cart, The chain was the tightest I have seen a chain on any bike, this would affect your suspension travel in a big way.
                      It was tight enough to take out the travel . No slack at all.
                      I am not trying to kick you whilst your down.
                      more all crashes can be a lesson. I truly believe the chain tension here was a direct and major contributor to this crash.
                      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                      (anarchy in english )

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by shan View Post
                        Glad your alive mate , Dam the bike got written off,
                        I looked at your bike on the crash cart, The chain was the tightest I have seen a chain on any bike, this would affect your suspension travel in a big way.
                        It was tight enough to take out the travel . No slack at all.
                        I am not trying to kick you whilst your down.
                        more all crashes can be a lesson. I truly believe the chain tension here was a direct and major contributor to this crash.
                        Thanks Shan for your concern and advice.

                        Thats really interesting to hear about my chain tension. I had the bike serviced only a couple months earlier and nothing was mentioned about its tension. With my basic knowledge, this was something I wasn't aware of either. I still consider myself a beginner and was in level 2 on the day. When I get back to the track, do you recommend having the suspension and chain set up, even for a beginner? Thanks for any help/advice you can give me..

                        How did my bike look, I still haven't seen it as I only got out of hospital yesterday?
                        Do you know how the other rider is?

                        cheers

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Spina View Post
                          No I wasn't there but I did hear about it and its great to hear a positive mentality in your recovery process . I was just waitng for the comments that the track was overcrowded and riders were in the wrong groups. Did this occur in your opinion?
                          I did think there was to many riders in group 2 and 3. I heard there was 35 riders in each group.. Should be limited to 20-25 max

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            wow just out yesterday , not good at all.
                            your bike did not look too bad, the bike got off lightly ,
                            Off memory a rear set, fairing damage . I cannot remember if the front fairing was bad or not, I know the other bike , a beautifully turned out CBR copped a decent smack on its front end.
                            That was a beautiful bike.
                            Yours should not take much to get going mate ,
                            sounds like you have a bit of time sadly to get around to it.

                            There is a dude on here (PS Martry Moose) hell of a nice guy, very knowledgeable on suspension set up.
                            To make the deal imposable to pass up, he dose his service from home , cheep and will take you through all he dose.
                            Used to be for about the price of a carton of beer.
                            carnt go wrong there,
                            Your chain should have 25 to 30 mm of free play , this will allow sufficient tension and allow the rear swing arm to move freely, letting the suspension do its thing.
                            Sorry to say but your rather nice R1 had a chain that would act as a stop for the swing arm to move up .
                            Not a good situation, especially in the basin , a rather high load area on the back end.
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by shan View Post
                              wow just out yesterday , not good at all.
                              your bike did not look too bad, the bike got off lightly ,
                              Off memory a rear set, fairing damage . I cannot remember if the front fairing was bad or not, I know the other bike , a beautifully turned out CBR copped a decent smack on its front end.
                              That was a beautiful bike.
                              Yours should not take much to get going mate ,
                              sounds like you have a bit of time sadly to get around to it.

                              There is a dude on here (PS Martry Moose) hell of a nice guy, very knowledgeable on suspension set up.
                              To make the deal imposable to pass up, he dose his service from home , cheep and will take you through all he dose.
                              Used to be for about the price of a carton of beer.
                              carnt go wrong there,
                              Your chain should have 25 to 30 mm of free play , this will allow sufficient tension and allow the rear swing arm to move freely, letting the suspension do its thing.
                              Sorry to say but your rather nice R1 had a chain that would act as a stop for the swing arm to move up .
                              Not a good situation, especially in the basin , a rather high load area on the back end.
                              Things got pretty serious in hospital as a blood clot developed after surgery.. Has been a crazy 10 days for me.

                              That decent smack on the front end of that cbr was my body. I remember sliding along the track after my low slide and thinking "I'll be ok after this, maybe a little sore in some spots, but I'll be fine". I then stopped sliding and stood up and right there was the white cbr. It hit me and then everything went into slow motion. I was then flying through the air and that's when I remember thinking "I'm fu#ked now, this is serious". The amount of ketamine the ambos pumped into me was truly amazing. I've been on some psychedelic journeys before but nothing like this. I was having out of body experiences and I remember standing there in the ambulance looking down on myself on the stretcher.. Was pretty freaky and something ill remember forever.. Just thankful that cbr didn't hit me flush in the chest, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here.

                              Will be a few months before I get another bike, maybe a BMW s1000rr, but will definitely talk to someone about suspension..

                              thanks again for your help and advice

                              dan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X