Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip-ons and ride height

Hi all,

I have recently put on a set of clip-ons onto my 04 R6 track bike (the original ones broke after the bike tried to do some aerobatics at the basin, then gravity kicked in when it was upside down). However the clip-ons are thicker than the original bars, which means I need to raise the forks to make them flush with the top of the clip-ons, thus lowering the ride height by 4mm (by my logic anyway, feel free to correct).

Can some of the more track savvy riders tell me what this will do to handling/tyre wear/stability etc, and if its worth while lowering the rear by the same as a starting point and go from there?

Thanks in advance, H

Err what?

You want your forks in the same place in the triple clamps otherwise the handling of your bike will be quite different - 2mm of fork height is a huge adjustment. The clip-ons fit where they can - but that fork position is very important. Forget where your hands are - that is an easy adjustment for yourself to make, in fact they will probably improve your body position - being lower they will drop your chest further towards the tank, and you can angle them forward to again flatten you out on the bike. FWIW clip ons should be connected below the triple clamp - not above it.

Comment

Thanks out_in_front, didn't realise they went under the triple clamp, first time using them and didn't come with instructions. Makes more sense now

Comment

Not too far under mind you!

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbyist View Post
          Thanks out_in_front, didn't realise they went under the triple clamp, first time using them and didn't come with instructions. Makes more sense now
          I thought that might be the case....

If you pulled the forks out of the triple clamps that far it would steer incredibly quickly - probably to the point you lowside every corner though. It would also lack stability at speed.
          It is a bit of a bitch of a job to if you don't have a headstand If you are up my way I have one you can borrow if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post

If you pulled the forks out of the triple clamps that far it would steer incredibly quickly - probably to the point you lowside every corner though. It would also lack stability at speed.
            It is a bit of a bitch of a job to if you don't have a headstand If you are up my way I have one you can borrow if needed.
            Thanks, I do have a headstand which is making it a lot easier. Looks better with them in the right place too...

Comment

So now you have about 40mm of fork showing above the top of the top triple clamp? I ask this as i bought a cbr years back, that had after market clip on's fitted. He put them below the triple clamps but then pulled the forks down so they were flush with the top of the triple clamps, thing would have handled like a harley, no wonder her could never get un 68's around barbs
              Last edited by Sean'o; 26-11-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post

Dropped the front on the R6 ~10mm, steers like a beauty...

Comment

Yeah mine was out 7-8mm from memory - but for clip ons to be mounted above the triple clamps you would need 35-40mm?

Comment

22mm with oem bars, close to 30mm with clip-ons on top

Comment

I would look at the Manuel and start with factory specs to start with. As mentioned only a couple mm is a decent change.

I'm not sure how the 04 r6 is set up but 22mm poking out is way too much on most bikes. Most are closer to 0-10mm.
                      Voltron-Evo. https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr=p#!/voltronmotorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by pottz View Post
                        I would look at the Manuel and start with factory specs to start with. As mentioned only a couple mm is a decent change.

I'm not sure how the 04 r6 is set up but 22mm poking out is way too much on most bikes. Most are closer to 0-10mm.

It does look a bit weird. All I can find in the manual is a note when installing the front forks
                        NOTE:Make sure the inner fork tube is flush with the top of the handlebar.

Which when you put the clip-ons under the triple makes it 22 above it. It's all wrong of course if they weren't actually oem handlebars on the start with. Will keep digging

Comment

Clip-ons and ride height

Just throwing it out there, google 04 r6 triple clamp or clip ons...
                          Pics seem to show clip ons above the triple clamp.

May not be right bike or correct but defo find out
                          for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
                          for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
                          for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboy View Post
                            Just throwing it out there, google 04 r6 triple clamp or clip ons...
                            Pics seem to show clip ons above the triple clamp.

May not be right bike or correct but defo find out
                            yup. as shown in the R6S service manual.

Last edited by Catch #22; 26-11-2013, 08:05 PM.
                            DERP

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbyist View Post
                              an 04 R6 runs conventional forks. so yes they go about the triple clamps.

The only set i have seen were 3 bolt clapms and yes they sat proud by about 1/4.

that model are a bir of a bitch but they do work. I know someone who has a set that were fitted to her bike but not needed anymore.
                              Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Working...
                              X