Articles for Track Noobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Articles for Track Noobs

Trying to follow up on some of the good stuff I've learnt at MCRCWA Ridedays I thought it might be good to have a thread for any articles or other reading that budding racers or track riders might also found useful, without clogging the forum.

this was one on Trail braking which was interesting
    Keith Code on Trail Braking- Exclusive Interview | MotoMom
    1199s, HP4 and a very forgiving wife.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,Rage, rage against the dying of the light."Dylan Thomas

This was one on the psychological barriers of racing

It's all in your head...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,Rage, rage against the dying of the light."Dylan Thomas

Comment

Subbed
      The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

'If you think you can, or think you can't, either way you are right'

Macca @ TRAKDAYZ.

Comment

I trail brake.

For a couple of reasons: as per the article, getting off the brakes gradually and smoothly (rather than on/off switch) keeps the front suspension stable.

Also, because I'm uh... Heavier than the average jap sports bike rider and have been doing it to load the front a bit to get the bike to turn.

A huge revelation for me with regards to traction which is related is something I learned from (of all places) the gran turismo 1 manual. The concept of the traction circle.

Draw a circle. Put vertical and horizontal axes through it. Vertical axis is accel/brake force from 0-100%. Horizontal axes is left/right cornering force from 0-100%.

The diameter of the circle is your limit of traction.

E.g. If you are at 50% of the horizontal grip limit you can brake at roughly 50%

If you aren't trail braking, that's a lot of braking time you aren't using as you tip in. You already do a similar thing in reverse when you accelerate out of the corner...

That doesn't even take into account the different geometry you get with some load on the front.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Oh...and not to say you should aim to use the limit of traction. :-P. But it's there if you need it when shit goes pear shaped.
            Last edited by thro; 05-03-2014, 09:24 PM.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

[MENTION=7023]thro[/MENTION] bringing back the memories there. GT1 taught me how to drive.

Tear :')

In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

^^ I suspect an entire generation of 20-30 somethings learned to drive properly from GT. The concept of weight shifting via accel/brake is another aspect that I think translates to both bikes and cars.

Intuitively, most people initially consider the throttle and brake only as "go faster / go slower", but when you think about them also (in some cases, more importantly) as weight shifting devices you can consider the impact they have to the vehicle you are operating with a deeper level of understanding.

Comment

LOL @ gran turismo. So true.
                  Great thread idea too. I think ive read my twist of the wrist book 3 times now and still find myself picking it up for a read now and then, great as an intro to some track basics when starting out.

Comment

Twist of the wrist II is great as well. Its available on Amazon (inc as a kindle download)

Comment

Articles for Track Noobs

Sportbike riding techniques by nick ienatsch. More road orientated but has some track stuff in it.

Good book nonetheless.
                      Last edited by HAGG!S; 06-03-2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Track Novice Group Orientation
                        “How people treat you is their karma; how you respond is yours.”

Comment

Originally posted by HAGG!S View Post
                          Sportbike riding techniques by nick ienatsch. More road orientated but has some track stuff in it.

Good book nonetheless.
                          He states to load the right footpeg to turn right, and vice versa. Correct or bullshit?

Not sure I agree with it.

Comment

Yeh I know. There seems to be some different opinions on that. Not sure what to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurray View Post
                              He states to load the right footpeg to turn right, and vice versa. Correct or bullshit?

Not sure I agree with it.
                              I'm not sure either i think it depends on HOW you load the footpeg.

There is pushing on the outside peg to push your upper body to the left (say), and there is moving your body left and then weighting the left peg.

Comment

Working...
                              X