No announcement yet.

Electric Superbike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, as pottz says it was a cracker of a weekend. Massive effort by all and sundry, and we can't thank everyone enough. Dave from the Brisbane AEVA was a massive help to us while we got things sorted for scrutineering. The bike was about 24 hours late getting into Brisbane, but credit to Northline, they did everything they could. We had the bike at the track by 10 am on Friday.

We passed mechanical scrutineering no trouble, but the electrical scrutineering was a 7 out of 10. The requirement for a lanyard kill switch would have been satisfied if not for the one I'd bought being a grounding type, not an open circuit type. We fixed that with some spade connectors and a few cable ties. Then the red flashing light on the back wasn't big enough, or visible from 30 metres.

I'm not real good with following rules, so while I was restrained, Mike and Danny drove to a nearby Jaycar to buy some necessary parts so we could comply Finally the capacitors weren't discharging fast enough when the e-stop was hit, so we had to try a few things to get them to drain out. After many attempts to get the software to do it for us, we eventually had to pull the battery pack out and add some hardware. By 6 pm we had it sorted, and the final proof was on the multimeter - 650 V down to zero in under 4 seconds. Never mind the fact that proving it's safe, actually requires us to make it very unsafe... Rules is rules.

So race one lap one turn one, pottz was out to learn the circuit on a compliant bike. Races one and two were absolute crackers, and the onoard footage is going to be awesome. He'd more or less nailed the circuit by race three, and race 4 was another procession to the finish line.

Some great photos here by Tony Castley:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/splint...7645434972333/

And the last race can be viewed at 53 minutes on the first screen:
    Queensland Raceway Clip 4 on Livestream

Roll on Winton!!!

Comment

• Well done team, a great result.

Comment

• Awesome result! and he didn't even get his knee down.
        RR VRT #100
        Sponsors Wanted.
        Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
        A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

• Nope, not once whilst riding that bike so far. I maintain it isn't important.

But that's probably because I have extremely short legs :p.
          Voltron-Evo. https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr=p#!/voltronmotorcycles

Comment

• Unreal effort to all involved
            Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

• Once you go electric... | Motorcycle News Racing Reviews Tests

Some totally unbiased views on electric bikes

Comment

• Well done Chris, you have built an absolutely outstanding bike.
                Watching Rippertons onboard camera from the racing in Queensland shows incredible acceleration.
                Looks like you were having a ball Pottz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bern View Post
                  Well done Chris, you have built an absolutely outstanding bike.
                  Watching Rippertons onboard camera from the racing in Queensland shows incredible acceleration.
                  Looks like you were having a ball Pottz.
                  For sure, Voltron is a seriously fast bike, its a heap of fun out there. The bad/good thing about quiet bikes is everyone can hear you laughing and screaming as you ride it. The rediculous speed of this thing is what won that round for sure.

Danny Ripperton's bike is very light and nimble but without the acceleration we have. Its something like 60kg lighter, has carbon wheels and is very well set up. As you can see he can throw it in anywhere and hold almost any line he wants, he did a really good job of riding the wheels off his bike and as you can see in the last lap he really was pushing to (and beyond) the limit. They may be electric and a small field but the racing is just as hard and competitive as anything out there.
                  That video is lap 5-8 I had done of the track and was absolutly kicking myself for messing up T4 three times in a row, I had a good brake marker but kept letting off the brake thinking I was going to be too slow untill I got to the entry and it was too late. Luckily it came together a bit better where it all counted in the last lap.

Now to the next round where we will hopefully have something better inside the pogo sticks that they call standard GSXR forks, some practice time on the bike on Friday and hopefully a decent setup and track knowledge come race day. It is however the end of drag racing type circuts, they get tighter and tighter and will suit the other bikes a lot more and the riders that have the home state advantage. Fingers crossed we can still keep up, have a lot of fun and some more great racing.

Comment

• Hot damn that thing pulls away!
                    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

• Is the new swing arm for the 200 rear ( and I assume wider rim on it yet pottz )

Anyone know how to crowd fund [MENTION=7912]pottz[/MENTION] some carbon fiber wheels?
                      The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

• How many bikes were entered?
                        SP RACINGis supported by:
                        MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                        Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                        Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

• Yep, she really hauls ass!! No matter how many times I say this is a propper fast bike people don't believe it till they saw it on track or the video.

Nah the custom swingarm has been moved down the list of bang for buck mods for now, a 200 would be better but what we have isn't actually too bad. The power delivery is more tyre and grip friendly than I could have imagined, possibly the smoothness? I'm not sure.

Only 5 bikes on the grid but that was the most they have had. Thinking of building one?? (do it, I know you'd make a fast one and love it!) If I had the cash I have already contemplated what electric motor would fit in the CBR.

It really is a great grass roots class where some guy with a vision can build a bike in his tiny back shed and take on an Australian Championship. Chris has proved this and also demonstrated electric power can be propper fast, I hope this is the "game changing" bike and this class takes off with more bikes, competition and technology.

I also love the way the different teams have approached it. Ripperton with light weight and handling, Catavolt with the hub motor, Varley (x2) looking like electronic masterpieces and Chris with the simplicity of a massive motor and batteries between 2 wheels.

Comment

• 5 bikes entered, but two of them were having some serious gremlins. Kilowatts, and lots of them helped us in the first two races, but we held a commanding lead in races 3 and 4.

Crowdfunded carbon rims would be nice, but it would have to be a Ducati 900ss rear as that's all that fits. Hopefully by next year we'll have a custom swinger so we can put a GSXR rear wheel in instead. For now I think just getting the front end sorted will make a huge difference.

I just got paid today, so I can afford the flights to Winton now

Comment

• Here we go again, Only a couple of days untill the next race in Winton.
                              Hopefully this time we get some practice on Friday and learn the track a bit before having to race. No more relying on transport companies this time so that shouldnt be an issue. The bike is still much the same but there may have been some tweeking of the standard forks that were not up to the task, not sure what was done but I'm told it should be better. I really hope with a bit of testing we can improve on the braking and cornering ability. The other teams will be on a mission to salvage lost points from round 1 and charging hard, I'm pretty sure there will be some good, hard racing.

The weather is looking very cold, probably some rain Friday but at this stage it says fine but freezing Saturday and Sunday.

The info is here if here if anyone wants to watch all the racing Sunday. We should be the first and last race's although we will be the first to get bumped if the schedule runs over.
                              All the action from round four of the Swann Superbike Series LIVE! | Australian FX Superbike

Comment

• Yep they not gonna know what hit em with you actually having been on the track before the first race AND bits that should make it turn and stop.

Have fun and kick ass!!!

( Don't forget the Tech Spec )
                                The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X