Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl Power Congratulations to Avalon Biddle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Power Congratulations to Avalon Biddle.

Women are part of the racing scene over the ditch, it's good to see them doing well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motors...port-600-title

Avalon Biddle makes history as first woman to win New Zealand's Supersport 600 title
    13:32, Apr 08 2019
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Reddit
    Email
    Avalon Biddle became the first woman to win New Zealand's Supersport 600 title.
    ANDY MCGECHAN/BIKESPORTNZ.COM
    Avalon Biddle became the first woman to win New Zealand's Supersport 600 title.
    Rangiora rider Avalon Biddle made sporting history in Taupo on Sunday when she became the first woman to win New Zealand's Supersport 600 title, a coveted crown in Kiwi motorcycling.

Biddle, 26, beat her main rival, Manukau's Toby Summers, after a weekend of racing at Taupo's Bruce Mclaren Motorsport Park, which included surviving a scare after crashing out in the first corner during the first of her three races on Saturday.

The Cantabrian began the two-day event 29 points clear of Summers, who also crashed in the same corner in an unrelated incident, and the leading pair were left riding for glory against one another on Sunday.

Avalon Biddle (No 3) competing against rival Toby Summers (No 22) earlier this year.
    DAVID WALKER/STUFF
    Avalon Biddle (No 3) competing against rival Toby Summers (No 22) earlier this year.
    Biddle's historic victory was sealed after day's two second race was declared a non-scoring outing because of two red flags, wrapping up the national title with a race to spare in the final round of the series.

READ MORE:
    * Dixon races to IndyCar podium in Alabama
    * Van Gisbergen back on top as Kiwis dominate
    * Michael Schumacher's big F1 contract break
    * Changes at the top in NZ Superbikes weekend
    * Avalon Biddle is ready to race the world's best

"I never expected this today. After being taken out in the first corner of the first race here at Taupo and not scoring any points and then the next race being red-flagged twice and nobody scoring any points, it was just lucky that I had such a points buffer to start the day," Biddle said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff
    "When I first started racing 600s I never thought I'd ever be in this position."

Biddle's landmark win follows her victory last month in the New Zealand TT Championship Trophy race at Hampton Downs, the third round of five in this season's New Zealand Superbike Championships.

"I wasn't thinking so much about creating history," she said. "I just wanted to win for all the people who have supported me for so long, Cheryl and Phil London from WIL Sports, Kawasaki New Zealand and MTF Finance have backed me and I wanted to reward them.

"I have respected and looked up to guys who have won this in the past, riders such as Craig Shirriffs, Sam Smith and my partner Jake [Lewis] too."

Biddle finished on the podium in four of the five events of New Zealand's Superbike Championships and said she intends to race in Australia later this year.

"Plans [are] to be announced. Watch this space."

Stuff
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

great to see, no reason why that cant happen again, hopefully she'll Avalon and successful racing career ahead of her
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X