Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post race day maintenance

This is to all those who actively race:

Do you guys change your oils after each raceday? eg Fork oil, engine oil etc. What consumables do you need to replace after each race day if any?

Just making up a bit of a budget for a full year of racing and I am interested to know.

If you don't want to give exact figures thats cool but some kind of rough indicator would be helpfull

After you have bought the bike:
    Raceglass
    Exhaust
    Filters
    Oils
    Tyres
    Tuning
    Fuel
    Repair budget as well.......

The list just keeps on going
    1, Always look good
    2, Always know what you're doing
    3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Re: Post race day maintenance

This is to all those who actively race:

Do you guys change your oils after each raceday? eg Fork oil, engine oil etc. What consumables do you need to replace after each race day if any?

Just making up a bit of a budget for a full year of racing and I am interested to know.

If you don't want to give exact figures thats cool but some kind of rough indicator would be helpfull

After you have bought the bike:
    Raceglass
    Exhaust
    Filters
    Oils
    Tyres
    Tuning
    Fuel
    Repair budget as well.......

The list just keeps on going
    Well it goes something like this
    Raceglass $680.00
    Exhaust $700.00
    Tyres $420 to $450 depending on brand
    Fuel 30 litres
    Oggy Knobes $120
    Braided brake lines $180
    My oil and fluids are free from Shell, and I change them after each race.
    Brake pads last me 3 rounds

Each round will be;
    1 set of tyres, $420
    30 litres fuel, $30
    Oils / Fluids, $50 to $70 depending on brand
    Entry fee $75
    But if you do Supersport / Superstock you can sell your tyres for around $100 to $150 a set, helps keep the cost down.

Once you find a bike then your looking at an extra $2500 - $3000 to make it track ready.

I recommend Superstock as a starting class for racing, only allowed minor bike mod's, keeps the sport cheaper.

Give it ago :idea: Plus my 600rr might be for sale end of season (hint-hint 8) )

Comment

Calvins got it pretty much so right, add in at least $400 to paint your raceglass, plus you'll most likely want to change your chain and sprokets, which is around $300, i'm the same as Calvin and i change my oils after every race meet and my brake fluid every two meets, brake pads i change every 3 meets, Also put into that a power commander which is around $700, then add into that leathers if you don't already have them, add into that a set of tyre warmers which is a must have. And a front and rear stand, plus the spares that you will need, and the're the costs you have if you stay upright,
      not the cheapest of sports, but it is more fun than i've ever had !!

Comment

Hi all, this is my first post here and a little insight into what is needed before you start your first season.

First of all i'll start by saying i have now idea what categorys u guys have over there, but over here in qld the most popular classes are supersport and ultralites (400's). My first year start up budget for superstock/supersport which was last year looked something like this.

Raceglass $700
        Paint $500
        Steering damper $600
        Racetech fork internals $500
        Racetech Shock internals + spring $400
        Slip on pipe $500
        Braided lines $140
        Brake pads $200
        520 chain and sprockets $300
        Oil $80 for 4 litres
        Front and rear stands $300
        Tyre warmers $500
        Tyres $450

approx $5k

So basically to have a start up 600cc race bike not a street bike with raceglass thats what your looking at.
        If you want to be on a fast bike then double or even triple that figure.

For each race weekend i put away about $700 for entry fees, tyres, petrol, oil, pads, garaging.

Comment

Hi all, this is my first post here and a little insight into what is needed before you start your first season.

good to see you on the forum ryan.what you said about costs is about as accurate as you can get.add about $200 extra for every race meet for the pro superbike class and about an extra $3000 to set a 1000 bike up to race trim.once your set up then its tyres that hurt the most :roll:

Comment

i concur with all of the above.

all you need to do is set aside enough money for food and bills then pour whatever you have left into racing...
            you might also want to take out some sort of insurance for your health+income too...just incase.

Comment

i concur with all of the above.

all you need to do is set aside enough money for food and bills then pour whatever you have left into racing...
              you might also want to take out some sort of insurance for your health+income too...just incase.
              Farrk Dave, you make it sound like having a wife :shock:

"looks over sholder for punch in the head"

Welcome to the forum RG78.

Comment

Oh while I remember I also keep a log book for parts etc used during the season, that way I keep an eye on costs and how often i change them. At this stage I have spent $7,000 in 7 months :shock:

Comment

Budget???

Look up 'racing' in the dictionary and the word 'budget' does not appear anywhere in the description.

Anyone thinking of getting involved in Road Racing, take a serious look at your bank account and decide if you can afford it. Due to working in the industry I am fortunate to either be Sponsored for items, purchase items at cost and don't pay for labour on servicing/repairs. I would hate to think of the costs involved if you had to pay retail.

For example, I have competed in Stars of Tommorrow, Round 1 and 2 of the State Rounds and half of Round Four of the National Rounds. So far (not including cost of motorcycle) I have spent just over $23,000.

Don't get me wrong, you can get away with racing for probably half of what I have spent, but in my opinion if your going to do something, do it properly. The previous costings on the other posts are accurate but alot has been missed out. Its not just a case of having a race kitted bike. You need to allocate money towards riding gear, spares, tools, race fees, transport (van, ute, trailer), labour costs and repairs.

I for one hate having to ask to borrow something of someone. I am a firm believer in that if you need to ask to borrow something more than once, you yourself need to purchase the item.

$23,000 and counting includes the following,

Race Licence (MA & MCRC Fees, x2 Pre-Requisite Race Craft Courses)
                  Race Nomination/Entrance Fees
                  Race Glass
                  Painting
                  Tyres
                  Lap Timer
                  Tyre Warmers
                  WP Steering Damper
                  WP Rear Shock
                  WP Front Fork Springs
                  Harris Rearsets
                  Harris Clipons
                  Harris Fairing Stay Bracket
                  Harris Spares
                  Gold Valving Front Forks
                  Akrapovic Full Titanium Race System
                  Oggy Knobs
                  Radiator Guard
                  K&N Airfilter
                  Power Commander IIIR
                  520 Conversion Chain & Sprockets
                  Front and Rear Stands
                  Racing Numbers
                  Race Seat Foam
                  Brake Pads
                  Goodridge braided lines
                  Spare Front/Rear Rims
                  Spare Brake/Clutch Levers
                  Spare Radiator
                  Spare Subframe
                  Spare Forks
                  Spare Discs
                  Spare Sprockets
                  Spare Race Glass
                  Pit Mat
                  Extension Cords
                  Power Boards
                  Fuel
                  Alpinestar One Piece Suit x 2
                  Suomy Helmet x 2
                  Knee Sliders
                  Toe Sliders
                  Back Protector
                  Snap On Tool Box
                  Snap On Tools
                  Compressor
                  Compressor hose and attachments
                  Battery Charger
                  Fully Enclosed Box Top Trailer

and most importantly

One very understanding wife!!!! (Priceless)

The above list is not exhaustive and the costs keep on coming. As I recently experienced at the National Rounds, it doesn't have to be your fault to have a crash. I crashed at around 240km/hr. I had the honour of having the highest speed crash of the weekend but was fortunate enough to walk away without any injuries.

Due to this year being my first in Road Racing, the above list contains alot of 'start up' items that most begineers would also need to purchase. Don't discount the spares because if you don't have them, you may end up being left in the pits 'watching the racing' as many a rider experienced at the recent nationals. If you think you won't crash, don't come racing. Calvin, Leroy and Ben have all crashed twice so far this season. Tex and I have crashed once. It will happen.

My costings for next year don't look anywhere near that amount.

I would be expecting the season to cost no more than $3000 to $5000 including fees, tyres, fuel and minor repairs.

On that note I would like to thank

Causeway Honda & Staff
                  Bridgestone Tyres
                  Putoline Oils
                  EBC Brake Pads
                  Alpinestars
                  Suomy Helmets
                  WP Suspension
                  Renthal ChainWheels
                  Regina Chains
                  Akrapovic Exhausts
                  K&N Air Filters
                  Dynotime

for their on going support and sponsorship throughout my first season. Especially the staff at Causeway Honda who work alot of the time on the bike in their own time getting it ready for race day, only to have to rebuild her again for the upcoming Round 3 WA State Round on the 25th of July 2004.

Comment

hey calvin will you have the bike ready for the 25th ??

welcome to the forum RG78, of the guys on the forum i think 4 are racing superbikes, Gohan, Madmax, Zipdrive and Ben, and myself and Calvin are racing supersport
                    the 400 class isn't even run over here in WA.

Comment

Re: Budget???

Racing Numbers
                      Race Seat Foam
                      Pit Mat
                      Extension Cords
                      Power Boards
                      Toe Sliders
                      Compressor hose and attachments
                      . Tex and I have crashed once. It will happen.
                      On that note I would like to thank

Causeway Honda & Staff
                      Bridgestone Tyres
                      Putoline Oils
                      EBC Brake Pads
                      Alpinestars
                      Suomy Helmets
                      WP Suspension
                      Renthal ChainWheels
                      Regina Chains
                      Akrapovic Exhausts
                      K&N Air Filters
                      Dynotime

for their on going support and sponsorship throughout my first season. Especially the staff at Causeway Honda who work alot of the time on the bike in their own time getting it ready for race day, only to have to rebuild her again for the upcoming Round 3 WA State Round on the 25th of July 2004.

WHAT THE HELL?????you have finally said it.as i said to you before,its the inevitable.we are all gonna crash.and whats this,race numbers,race seat???if your gonna put those things down then you may as well put the cable ties and lockwire you bring :? and whats this thanking the sponsors??you may as well get on your knees or bend over only joking buddy,this is a expensive sport thats why i dont and wont even think about adding my expenses up :shock:

Comment

Incidentals...

Ahh I forgot about the incidentals...

It all adds up!

The sponsors need thanking otherwise I don't think I would be still racing! I'm not a mechanics arsehole when it comes to working on the bike!

Calculating costs! Don't do it! Ignorance is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you.

But you won't have to worry about that when you release your pending number one best seller;

'It's all about Leroy'

Comment

Re: Incidentals...

But you won't have to worry about that when you release your pending number one best seller;

'It's all about Leroy'

now i know you are definately a story teller BITCH
                          i would like to thank me,myself and before i forget myself :roll:

Comment

Comments...

Well said.....

What story would you like me to read to you tonight?

Comment

Righteo then, thanks all for your response. I think I will be able to get on the track in 2015. I guess its off to the stock market I go :? Blue chips anyone ?!?

What do you guys think about a second hand race bike like an 02/03, with all the race equipment already with it compared to shelling out and buying all the stuff yourself?

Anybody want to sell a 250 Aprillia :?: Even better, anybody want to give me a bike to race :twisted:
                              1, Always look good
                              2, Always know what you're doing
                              3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

Working...
                              X