• Show
Clear All

• cost of racing?

hey guys
    just playing with the idea of racing

after i have a bike set up, glass + leathers all that
    how much does it cost all up?
    leather coated squid

After you have a bike all set up, you'd need an absolute minimum of $4K....

This would allow you to change oils, service bike, buy tires, pay for licenses, entry fee's, fuel, brake-pads etc for a years worth of racing..... This would just be for the MCRCWA State Championships. If you did the historics as well, double it.

If you aren't confident doing your own bike work, add another 20% on top of that again.... Off course this is the minimum, it can get a whole lot more expensive if you crash......
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Race day $100 entry

Fuel $25

Pads I used one set for three rounds and three tuning days they still have life $80

Oil/filter change $60 every day on the track

Brake fluid every day on the track $4 (I use $12 0.5L valvoline) it works great

Tyres now here's is where it hurts. They are $440 a set new they would last me 4 days on the track. I used second hand ones this year with two days already on them. I did 2 to 3 days on them with more left.Big huge thanks to FASTGIRL RACING HERE she rocks

Comp lic round $250

Club membership can't remember round $130 I think.

Don't fall off

If its fun your after its not too bad you want to win then add up the $$$$$. I'm into fun. The track is also like a big family everyone helps each other out, the WTF boys and Smeghead have been a huge help to me aswell.
      Another good thing is Tuning days only cost around $55 for the day once you have a comp lic and a club membership. My final sugestion is DO IT you only live once just bite the bullet and get out there. Most people think no I need to be faster ! Just get out there.

Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Loaf View Post
        hey guys
        just playing with the idea of racing

after i have a bike set up, glass + leathers all that
        how much does it cost all up?
        Depends on how fast you want to go!

Comment

haha 4k
          well its a bit more then i first thought
          leather coated squid

Comment

Lots...that is all. LOL!
            Originally posted by Red_is_Best
            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

it'll cost you your first born

But seriously listen to the guys and gals above. They know their shit

Comment

I budgted $1k per round plus the cost of all the other trakdays during the year; too scared to add it up but damn wot fun.

Marty's correct in his views about the peeps at the track, big family, with most everyone willing to help out another racer even if ya don't know 'em from a bar of soap. All in all one of the best gigs I have ever had.

Bugger the $$$, do it!
                .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

if i can justify racing bikes then anybody can.. i started this year as a 1st year apprentice with my no riding experiance, L plates and $0 in the bank.

since then i have owned 3 bikes and currently only have my r6 racebike completly stock ($12k) plus necessities :
                  fairings, tank, tire warmers, leathers, stands ($3k).

i have attended every track day/racecraft/tuning day since june ($1k).bought all licences/memberships ($500), gone through 2 sets of michelin pilot race tires ($1k) and this is before i have even competed in a race..

now im no mathematician but im pretty sure im in deficit this year without even puting into account buying food and all of lifes other expenditures. Oh and i am currently in the market for a steering dampner, race levers and sprockets ($1k).. the list goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermouse View Post
                    if i can justify racing bikes then anybody can.. i started this year as a 1st year apprentice with my no riding experiance, L plates and $0 in the bank.

since then i have owned 3 bikes and currently only have my r6 racebike completly stock ($12k) plus necessities :
                    fairings, tank, tire warmers, leathers, stands ($3k).

i have attended every track day/racecraft/tuning day since june ($1k).bought all licences/memberships ($500), gone through 2 sets of michelin pilot race tires ($1k) and this is before i have even competed in a race..

now im no mathematician but im pretty sure im in deficit this year without even puting into account buying food and all of lifes other expenditures. Oh and i am currently in the market for a steering dampner, race levers and sprockets ($1k).. the list goes on.
                    Your going well son! .. Keep it up.. Racing is so much fun isnt it?... Who cares how much it may cost.. I crashed the last round of the year, Cost me a fortune and STILL went home with a Trophy and a smile as wide as the outback.. You'll love it..

Comment

haha yeah. 'life in the fast lane' i mean im no competition junkie i just love to challenge myself. when i first got the bug i had aspirations towards motogp..wsbk...

haha but when u check out the path some of the top blokes took to get into those jobs let alone create the oppurtunities.. (i think casey had about 50 bike trophies b4 he was 12) u have to just set about to have fun.

i plan to finish my apprentaship in 3 years time after racing in wa, buy a trailer n 4wd and head over east to race different tracks.

i was talking to quattro (dude on gold 675 trumpy) at the track day and i envied his wealth of experiance (and bike collection) having raced most tracks in australia over several decades and still enjoying hitting the track every now and again and "giving the younge blokes a run for there money" top bloke

haha peace.
                      Last edited by bikermouse; 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM.

Comment

.. and he just did a PB of a 65 on it too, there's life in some of us old dogs yet.

Last race of the season I was 8th outta 36 starters, if I can do it, pfftttt.

Originally posted by bikermouse View Post
                        i was talking to quattro (dude on gold 675 trumpy) at the track day and i envied his wealth of experiance (and bike collection) having raced most tracks in australia over several decades and still enjoying hitting the track every now and again and "giving the younger blokes a run for there money" top bloke.
                        .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead View Post
                          .. and he just did a PB of a 65 on it too, there's life in some of us old dogs yet.

Last race of the season I was 8th outta 36 starters, if I can do it, pfftttt.
                          Yeh us "old blokes" LOL now go to bed 2.46am your too old for that. Bikermouse save your money if your broke mate only buy what you need. Forget the levers the stockers are fine. Does your bike tank slap ? If not don't buy the damper either til you need it. Well done on the bike being and appentice, I also did the same thing twas a few years ago now though.

Comment

Once you've got a bike with a race fairing and race bike requirements it can cost anything from $250 to $1000 per race day. My first year I used my Gixer 1000 road bike. The road fairing came off on Saturday with race fairining fitted, went racing Sunday and road fairing back on Sunday night ready for work on Monday.

As for tyres you can usually buy a set of 20 - 30 lap tyres from the more serious guys for $100 so don't be put off by the cost of tyres. I know a B grade Superbike rider going around in 59's who uses 2nd hand tyres regularly.

I think I used 2 sets of tyres and 1 set of brake pads for the whole of my first year and had a ball. Get out there...you won't regret it.

Comment

Pluuuusssss... if ur really persuasive and have a few contact, like me u can ease some of the economic strain by setting ur self up with sponsers. Ive orginised 1/2 my tyre expenses paid, my race fairings painted for free and trailer hire and tunings days for the whole season! haha all in my first year.

im also in negotiation with (pestering) my boss to chip in for the season and with a seperate company to discount some of the parts i need. But yeah even with all this help it will still finacialy straight jacket me..

Originally posted by Marty MOOSE View Post
                              Bikermouse save your money if your broke mate only buy what you need. Forget the levers the stockers are fine. Does your bike tank slap ? If not don't buy the damper either til you need it. Well done on the bike being and appentice, I also did the same thing twas a few years ago now though.
                              i get tank slappers bad through the s's and over the hill into corner 7 forcing me to short shift and i believe lose atleast a second off my times, so the dampner is a must.
                              I really dont like the stock bars as they feel big and bulky with no feeling and i relise they arnt a neccesity but i would really like them before the strat of round 1 (christmas will be my last resort

next on my list is sprockets but im happy to run stock for another while as i belive this will increase my appreciation of them if/when i finaly do get the extra torque.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X